Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:32 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,844,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich2fla View Post
That's us!

For college, we cheer for Michigan State (sorry Bulldog fans) and for pro sports, we occasionally follow the Detroit teams (Tigers, Lions and Redwings, not a fan of the NBA). Our family usually follow the Big Ten football and basketball teams.

I am similar, from NW Ohio but am a Michigan fan (U of Michigan, go blue!) and I also follow Detroit teams and was very excited they made it to the playoffs this year and will be rooting for them versus the Falcons in the future.

I do think the transplants have something to do with it but also the disappointment of the sports teams here. I used to be a Braves fan even in Ohio because of TBS as I had access to a lot of Braves games and they were (and still are) my favorite NL team, but they aren't really doing anything anymore and led to a lot of disappointment, plus the atmosphere at games IMO aren't as exciting as Tiger games that I have been to in Detroit. I always felt like Atlanta fans weren't exciting enough and when I get excited at Braves games people are just blah so I would say the blog is correct as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 08:51 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,263,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
I'm probably biased, being from a CRAZY sports-obsessed city (Boston) but that was one of the first things I noticed here. I mean the Thrashers just up and left and no one really cared. In any of the northern towns ,there would be rioting in the streets. Hockey aside, no one really gives a crap about their pro-sports teams here. I blame all the diverse loyalties to college football.
As a fellow New Englander who lived in Atlanta for my grad school years, I completely agree with you. The best part was, though, I got wicked cheap tickets to see the Red Sox when they came to Atlanta. Plus, ~70% of the stadium was Red Sox fans.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:39 AM

7,539 posts, read 11,386,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
I mean the Thrashers just up and left and no one really cared.
That's because Atlanta never needed a new hockey team. I knew them bringing in a hockey team wasn't the best idea. This is not a strong hockey region.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:46 AM

As far as that Falcon's game. I wish that Arthur Blank would ban Mike Smith from going for it on fourth downs outside of the fourth quarter. Smith gets too caught up in being "gutsy". Going for it on fourth down and not getting it hurt the Falcons psychologically and gave the Giants more energy.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:01 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,578,819 times
cool

Old 01-09-2012, 11:18 AM

847 posts, read 1,459,679 times
Transplants are obviously part of the problem. However, I don't really too many natives that are die-hard Braves, Falcons, or Hawks fan either. I really don't get it because it is actually a privilege to have professional sports in your city, not a right. I watched two football teams leave my hometown almost simultaneously, so I can attest that the same team you ignore or rag on today could very easily be gone tomorrow.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
However, I don't really too many natives that are die-hard Braves, Falcons, or Hawks fan either.
They will become die hard fans when those teams start winning championships. It's hard to become a die hard fan without no championships to base it on.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:47 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,030,004 times
Thatt title goes to Seattle. At least we have one, Seattle has zero

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 01-09-2012 at 11:58 AM..

Old 01-09-2012, 11:53 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,687,045 times
This is kinda funny, I pay for my Tech season tickets by selling my Falcon season tickets to mainly non-Falcon fans.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:56 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,030,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
They will become die hard fans when those teams start winning championships. It's hard to become a die hard fan without no championships to base it on.
It's like a wife. It's hard for her to be a die hard fan to her husband without a ring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta