Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 08:57 AM

9 posts, read 13,213 times

Advertisements

Hi it is that question again...
We are moving to Atlanta this summer with a 5-year-old son. We actually will work in downtown Atlanta (Georgia State U) and therefore are looking for housing with good schools but not much traffic in and out of the city. Budget would be $300-400K, an average house not a big one since we are a small family (3 people).
People mentioned to me that the I-75 north area (Marietta) has good schools but the traffic may be a problem. The Northlake Mall neighborhoods are closer but the schools except the elementry are not so good.
So I am asking for suggestions as to which neighborhoods would be best fit our needs?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 09:18 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,471 times
Check out the City of Decatur (30030). Be sure the homes are inside the city limits for City of Decatur schools.

City of Decatur : Home
City of Decatur : Tourism
Decatur Metro
http://www.csdecatur.net
CityofDecatur's Channel - YouTube

Old 01-12-2012, 03:29 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,880 times
Also check out Candler Park and Lake Claire, which have highly-rated public schools and would be an easy commute to Georgia State. Inman Park would work too, but I don't know anything about the school system there.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:35 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
Also check out Candler Park and Lake Claire, which have highly-rated public schools and would be an easy commute to Georgia State. Inman Park would work too, but I don't know anything about the school system there.
Actually - Candler Park and Inman Park are the same schools - Mary Lin, Inman and Grady. But the average home price is much higher. It is a super easy commute via car or MARTA to Georgia State University. Inman Park is 2 miles from downtown Atlanta and that is why it became the first planned neighborhood in Atlanta.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:29 AM

9 posts, read 13,213 times
Thanks a lot for your help Intown Homes247, researchnerd and George Chong! I will check them out!

Old 01-27-2012, 10:35 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Kirkwood is south of the MARTA tracks from Candler Park & Lake Claire. Schools are good and improving. Housing and rent is a lot cheaper than compared to Candler Park or Lake Claire. Kirkwood is also accessible to MARTA, 2 stations, close to big-box stores, Edgewood Retail District, and is very safe. FYI, Atlanta Public Schools are about to redistrict so there is a possibility that Candler Park and Lake Claire would feed into Coan Middle, still a good school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: