Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 06:26 PM

10 posts, read 13,988 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm not originally from Atlanta...or Georgia, really, and I'm planning our wedding. Over 90% of our guests are from out of town and will be staying in one or two hotels in Midtown.

I'm working on a "things to do" list in the area or accessible to MARTA....any suggestions?

I've got so far:

Piedmont Park
Botanical Garden
High museum of art
South City Kitchen
Flip flops (the lady at the hotel where we have the block recommended it...looked ok from the website)

I'd like to throw in at least two or more southern experiences....bar, restaurant or cool thing to do. Anything goes with this crowd, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 06:31 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,076,746 times
If you send them to the Clermont Lounge, I don't care if you have people from New York, San Francisco, or Hong Kong.....everybody will say, "I've never seen anything like that before!"

Old 01-12-2012, 06:46 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,227,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
If you send them to the Clermont Lounge, I don't care if you have people from New York, San Francisco, or Hong Kong.....everybody will say, "I've never seen anything like that before!"

LOL!

Old 01-12-2012, 06:52 PM

668 posts, read 995,552 times
Try the Carter Center (they usually have an interesting exhibit or two) and the King Center. All the touristy stuff would be pretty easy to get to on Marta, too (Aquarium, World of Coke, CNN Center). You can also send them to Mary Mac's Tea Room on Ponce, which always screamed "Designing Women"-era Atlanta to me for some reason. For an Atlanta experience of a different sort, take Marta to the Lenox area and go to Dante's Down the Hatch for some fondue.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
totally don't get it....no idea what it is

....should I go find out the hard way?

Old 01-12-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydr View Post
totally don't get it....no idea what it is

....should I go find out the hard way?

Nevermind, quick Google search. Hehehe!

Old 01-12-2012, 06:59 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,104,048 times
Flip Flops is nothing special. There are a lot better spots in Midtown than that. MJQ and El Bar are much better. For some reason Flip Flops reminds me of a GSU house party, and not the GSU downtown, the other one in Statesboro...lol. Not a good look.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:59 PM

538 posts, read 926,829 times
I have to agree with 'Nast' that Mary Mac's Tea Room is a must.......and for the guys in the group the Cheetah is just around the corner (the groom is having a Bachelors Party, right?).....and the food there is great....his friends will thank you repeatedly for suggesting this venue for his Bachelors Party......

Old 01-12-2012, 07:02 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,998,213 times
Flip Flops? Kinda random but oh well. It's basically just a trashy college type bar.

Whole World Improv definitely belongs on the list. Laughing Skull (at the Vortex) has stand up comedy.

The Center for Puppetry Arts is good for people with kids.

Empire State South is extremely good fine dining southern food.

All of the above are easy walks from the Midtown MARTA Station.

A bit further south (around Ponce):

- The Fox Theathre (depending on the event)
- Top Flr is nearby (super trendy tapas place with interesting cocktails, sometimes dancing)

Also, people from out of town are often impressed with Atlantic Station (for the less adventurous folks). There are a couple exhibitions there (such as Bodies), as well as shopping and restaurants.

Midtown is a great place to hold this sort of event; there are places that appeal to a wide array of subcultures and people.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:03 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,104,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydr View Post
Like?

Like MJQ and El Bar. But for a weekend party for a wedding all 3 aren't really what I would recommend. I would do the W on 14th St for a party like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta