Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 04:15 PM

49 posts, read 232,440 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in New York City and have relatives in the Atlanta area ( Gwinnett County). They've been begging me to relocate to the south, so we can be closer. Though Atlanta seems like a cheaper and less populated oasis it seems it may be too surburban for me.

So my question is: Is Atlanta a huge suburb disguised as a major city or does it truly have a urban city feeling like NYC?

Thank you for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 04:21 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Atlanta has an urban downtown, but not as urban as NYC. I moved down recently from NJ, and used to spend alot of time in Manhattan- downtown Atlanta's really "urban" area is small (think a 4 block by 10 block section of NYC maybe), and even at that, it doesn't have the hustle and bustle of Manhattan.

Like NYC, you quickly go from urban to suburban, and then rural, but it happens much faster. While in NJ you'd have to go around 50+ miles to get from Manhattan to semi-rural, I can go less than 30 miles from downtown Atlanta and be in cow pastures. We're in Cherokee County, 35 miles exactly from downtown, and we pass cows and horses on our way to the Interstate.

To answer your original question, it's a big suburban area surrounding a small urban core- much like NJ does to NYC, but on a smaller scale.

Bob

Old 09-03-2007, 05:08 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,737,527 times
It's really nothing like New York City. If you come thinking that but taking it for what it does have to offer (good weather, affordable housing, great communities, etc.) you may be pleasantly surprised by the pockets of urbanism you'll find. I would strongly recommend against living in Gwinett County if you're looking for any type of urban feel. There are many posts to this nature but intown is a must for someone looking for any element of city life here.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:17 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
You could more closely compare Atlanta to L.A. than you could could New York, Shadb.

Like L.A., we have a smaller central area and then it sprawls out in all directions for many, many miles. Atlantans are also hooked on their cars, and public transit while ok where it goes, is also spread out and no where nearly as extensive as NYC (or Washington or even San Fran's systems). There is also no commuter rail here. We don't sit on an ocean like L.A., nor do we have a Hollywood or Chinatown, but regarding the sprawl, spread-out feel, traffic, etc., it's an "L.A. of the South".

So, if THAT appeals to you, you'll be fine here. If you're looking for a New York of the South - no... that was an old ad campaign that Atlanta used to use back in the 80s that didn't fly.. the "Move over Big Apple" bit showing a girl eating a big Peach... didn't work. Figuratively or in reality.

Family is nice, but don't allow them to decide your future. If you're HAPPY in NYC - stay there. Just because they love it here (if they do) doesn't mean you will. Or, come down for an extended visit and test drive the area, etc. You may like it - or not. Test it out before making it final.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:31 PM

212 posts, read 546,050 times
Atlanta is suburban. You're initial impression is right. It is nothing like NYC. It's laid back, not much to do, no museum or arts culture like in NY. It's a driving town not a walking town. Atlanta closes up at night for the most part.
That being said, it's an easier place to live than in NYC and cheaper.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:28 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,318,092 times
greg hits the nail on the head. Atlanta is a lot more like LA than NYC, as the city contains pockets of urban areas throughout the city that are separated by geography, railroad tracks, and freeways like in LA. More and more people relocate to Intown Atlanta from the Northeast and the Midwest and bring their ideas of community and urbanism with them and you will find a lot of shops and restaurants in many city neighborhoods in Atlanta that give it a distinctive and unique feel.

Last edited by south-to-west; 09-04-2007 at 08:53 AM..

Old 09-04-2007, 07:34 AM

75 posts, read 324,608 times
I agree with South-to-west, but most people I know who move here from NYC love it. I would suggest you visit several times before making your decision.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:04 AM

26 posts, read 116,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
greg hits the nail on the head. Atlanta is a lot more like LA than NYC, as the city contains pockets of urban areas throughout the city that are separated by geography, railroad tracks, and freeways like in LA. More and more people relocate to Intown Atlanta from the Northeast and the Midwest and bring their ideas of community and urbanism with them and you will find a lot of shops and restaurants in many city neighborhoods in Atlanta that give it a distinctive and unique feel.
For a real city try Charlotte.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:24 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
^lol!

Old 11-08-2008, 05:16 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
Gwinnett?

I wouldn't move to Gwinnett County, unless you are really into diversity. It's got lots of Koreans and other Asians and lots of Mexicans. The northern suburbs are very nice with country club communities and Discover Mills outlet shopping. Just be careful where you go, especially if you need schools for a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta