Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 12:30 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,064,341 times

Advertisements

When I was growing up in the 80s, Atlanta was known as the shopping mall capital of the country....or at least the southeast, which probably seemed like the entire country to me.

But whatever the label you want to give it, Atlanta had a huge number of shopping malls for a city its size. Atlanta loved its malls. It built new ones and expanded the ones it had.

In a lot of ways, the mall is still thriving in Atlanta. There are dead malls all across the country, but most of the malls in Atlanta seem to be doing reasonably well. At least the ones not owned by dudes who let them get foreclosed on.

Anyway, preferences have swung over the years to more outdoor shopping. Outdoors....you know, what Lenox used to be before they kept expanding it. These upscale outdoor shopping centers are popping up all over the country, and Atlanta is no different. They are even popular enough now to have been lampooned on the Simpsons.

So here is my question:

Do you think the concept of the outdoor mall is going to last? Or will the pendulum swing back to traditional indoor shopping malls?

Personally, I'm torn on the subject. I like the outdoor shopping malls because they are neat. However, this Christmas I decided to do a lot of my shopping at the Forum shops in Norcross. As I am standing in the cold, rain falling on my head, waiting for what seemed like forever for cars to stop long enough to let me use the crosswalk, I couldn't help thinking....this is really inconvenient! Isn't there a better way? It seems like maybe there is a better way, the very way we are slowly abandoning for this outdoor experience. Isn't there inherent value in being protected from the elements while you are trying to get from store to store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 12:39 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,878,856 times
oh yes a lot of memories of lenox square back in the day, and when they opened north point mall up where we are in alpharetta... it was a BIG deal.

now you go in north point mall and one end of the mall is deserted! no shops, anything. well, they did open the new von maur store down at that end of the mall. before that, it was deserted.

personally i like indoor malls, it could be a childhood thing, but i think they have a lot of personality and bring people together indoors during the winter.

as for outdoor shopping centers, i guess there is more of that! for some reason these places have been popping up and i never really thought about those places replacing the mall, but now that i think about it, a mall hasn't been built in forever. you've got the avenue in both cobb and up in johns creek, but no new malls.

i always thought that what was replacing the mall was the move to intown living and shopping along traditional streets and shopping districts. it seems like intown neighbourhoods are really the core of a lot of the shopping that goes on these days.

when outdoor shopping has some personality and historic significance, around parks, things to see and do, etc., i like it. but would i spend all day shopping at the avenue? no, i can't stand that place.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:54 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,775,133 times
I avoid inside malls at all cost. I much prefer the outdoor mall. I don't shop that often that I can't plan around inclement weather.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:16 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,476 times
I don't really care either way but I have to make a critique about most of the outdoor malls I've seen in the area. They really need to ban cars from the main shopping areas. What sense does it make to concentrate auto traffic around where most of the pedestrian shopping activity occurs? Wouldn't it make more sense to locate all the parking on the outside and create a pedestrian only plaza on the inside with all the stores facing it? The most common arrangement makes it less enjoyable for drivers and pedestrians.

Atlantic Station sort of has the right idea but there is still too much traffic funneled through busy pedestrian areas.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:40 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
I enjoy the outdoor atmosphere, but not the fake shopping centers like Atlantic Station or the Forum. Indoor malls are so 1980's and I feel trapped when they get crowded around Christmas. I enjoy strolling along tree-lined streets window shopping and supporting small businesses.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:56 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,302,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Isn't there a better way?
Yes, it's called Amazon.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:00 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,302,470 times
Indoor malls used to be a lot of fun. Then they got rid of video arcades.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:02 AM

16,707 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
True this. Miss 'em.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:09 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,064,341 times
Quote:
This is right on the money!!!! So true.

However, Discover Mills does have a Dave & Busters in it. But I know what you mean for sure, not the same. It's like malls got rid of the one thing that men could enjoy.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:43 PM

341 posts, read 762,210 times
I don't think people actually prefer the outdoor lifestyle centers. I have actually heard that it's just that they're much cheaper to build rather than malls, and I have also heard that people prefer indoor malls. For me, I like either one, but I like malls better. Well, I actually just think that I don't really like lifestyle centers at all except for really nice ones like St. Johns Town Center. I don't think that Atlanta has anything to worry about with their malls. The successful ones will only get better, but the weaker ones will die. (Shannon Southpark, North/South Dekalb, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta