Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2012, 04:01 PM

4 posts, read 5,561 times

Advertisements

looking to buy in Sandy springs or cascade area what are the pros and cons me and my husband know we would only find a townhouse in our budget in sandy springs but a mansion in the cascade area which seems tempting whats the pros and cons of these areas ( we currently reside in sandy springs)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 04:07 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
You could get into the pros and cons of these two areas, but the reality is very simple. They are completely different and about as 180 as you can get.

You may as well ask for a list of pros and cons on Hawaii vs. Alaska.

They are completely different places. You just have to go with whichever one suits you more.

The only thing I would say is if you have children or ever plan on having children, it's a no-brainer when you consider the school districts. Aside from that, personal preference.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:55 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzgregory View Post
looking to buy in Sandy springs or cascade area what are the pros and cons me and my husband know we would only find a townhouse in our budget in sandy springs but a mansion in the cascade area which seems tempting whats the pros and cons of these areas ( we currently reside in sandy springs)
Cascade is over 90% black while Sandy Springs is majority white. That would be the biggest difference.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:34 AM

4 posts, read 5,561 times
I know there's a hefty amount of pros and cons just would like to hear a few and get someone else's opinion we are new to the Atlanta area and really would like some input on the two areas

Old 01-31-2012, 04:20 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
in both areas the homes are going to be newer, the oldest you'll find are postwar ranch homes. the newer homes are your typical suburban mansion style.

pros to cascade: cheaper— just checked the prices and there's a lot of nice homes there for what seems like almost nothing. easier access to downtown and midtown. lots of churches, families, it's an affluent suburb. it's mostly rich black folks.

pros to sandy springs: more stuff going on. even though cascade is technically closer in, all the nightlife and restaurants and whatnot has mostly spread north from downtown into buckhead and sandy springs. even though it's technically farther away, sandy springs feels more "in town".

Old 01-31-2012, 06:12 AM

183 posts, read 196,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
in both areas the homes are going to be newer, the oldest you'll find are postwar ranch homes. the newer homes are your typical suburban mansion style.

pros to cascade: cheaper— just checked the prices and there's a lot of nice homes there for what seems like almost nothing. easier access to downtown and midtown. lots of churches, families, it's an affluent suburb. it's mostly rich black folks.

pros to sandy springs: more stuff going on. even though cascade is technically closer in, all the nightlife and restaurants and whatnot has mostly spread north from downtown into buckhead and sandy springs. even though it's technically farther away, sandy springs feels more "in town".
What night clubs are in Sandy Springs? I agree with Buckhead but how are their more night clubs and restaurants in Sandy Springs vs Midtown and Downtown?

Old 01-31-2012, 06:43 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachcity View Post
What night clubs are in Sandy Springs? I agree with Buckhead but how are their more night clubs and restaurants in Sandy Springs vs Midtown and Downtown?
sandy springs, especially the southern end around the perimeter, has really turned into an extension of buckhead more than anything else. you've got that jazz lounge on highway 9, the 24 hour european restaurant by perimeter, stuff like that.

i'm not saying downtown has less nightlife— i'm just saying that over in cascade you're not right in the middle of it, less walkablility and immediacy— you have to drive up to downtown.

the comment about spreading northward, i didn't mean it had relocated, i just meant that stuff like that and general urbanity is coming to the north side, sandy springs and buckhead, whereas you haven't seen much of "the city" spread southward past downtown.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:42 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
I think it depends on what you are looking for. I agree that schools are a factor and also if you are white do you mind being a small minority in Cascade.

We are looking to buy in the Cascade area due to the low cost of houses, the large yards and that most of the older homes have basements instead of crawl spaces where we live now. Also I am not a nightlife sort of person but my husband is and Cascade is not far from downtown or midtown where you can find good nightlife.

Also traffic is not so much of an issue, I would never move somewhere where there is a ton of traffic but that is just me.

Like I said it depends on what you are looking for and what sort of environment you are seeking. Cascade is more of a family area and quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta