Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2006, 06:41 AM

27 posts, read 128,338 times

Advertisements

Which would you choose I see Atlanta home prices are cheaper but Northern Virginia has better schools? Anyone moved from VA/DC to Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2006, 05:00 PM

321 posts, read 1,556,926 times
Yes, yes and yes. And if I could afford NoVa (or DC), I'd go back in a heartbeat! Been here 11 years now. There is a lot more to quality of life than home prices.

The truth is, Atlanta home prices are a LOT cheaper, and the pay is not that much less, so you will get more for your money. However, Atlanta is not the charming, easygoing, friendly Southern town I was hoping it would be. Schools in GA are near the bottom of the heap, but the southern part of the state drags down the average -- metro Atlanta isn't so bad.

However, my brother's house up there has doubled in value in about 5 years. He could buy a couple of houses down here just with the equity! We are going to be moving in a year or so and will be lucky to make $50K on this place -- and we're in Cobb County.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:17 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
It's a toss up.
I grew up in Martinsburg, WV not to far from N.VA.
But the home prices and even the gang issues make one go back and forth.

I guess giving the choice I would not mind Northern VA compared to here.

I will admit, after all the places I have ever lived, I have never lived in a place with as much crime as here. Everyday on the news it's the same ole same ole. When living in WV I worked the WV, MD, VA, and S.PA areas and even in Washington DC's Anacostia area did I not check my back as much as I do when walking Atlanta aka Detroit of the South.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:31 PM

So do you make more in NoVa to help in the high cost of living?

Old 09-14-2006, 06:34 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
You better hope so. Between Real Estate or Rent. Property Taxes, Car Insurance, etc.
Arlington and Alexandria can put a hurtin on ya.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:49 PM

So would you sat the best choice is a surburb in Atlanta?

Old 09-15-2006, 06:51 AM

321 posts, read 1,556,926 times
If all you're talking about is cost of living, yes, Atlanta is cheaper. But as I said before, I think the quality of life is lower too. Quality of life includes education, IMO. Depends on your priorities. You're basically trading one rat race for another and to tell the truth, this is a bigger one because the Atlanta metro area is huge, and traffic is terrible most of the time, even in the 'burbs. My advice is to get a job close to home -- or vice versa.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:49 AM

35 posts, read 174,535 times
Default From Martinsburg, WV moving to ATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
It's a toss up.
I grew up in Martinsburg, WV not to far from N.VA.
But the home prices and even the gang issues make one go back and forth.

I guess giving the choice I would not mind Northern VA compared to here.

I will admit, after all the places I have ever lived, I have never lived in a place with as much crime as here. Everyday on the news it's the same ole same ole. When living in WV I worked the WV, MD, VA, and S.PA areas and even in Washington DC's Anacostia area did I not check my back as much as I do when walking Atlanta aka Detroit of the South.

You have me so spooked! We are going to be moving to ATlanta, Gwinnett County area in the next 30-60 days from WV. We are looking for a diverse area, with little to no racism, please tell me that I am not making a huge mistake!

Old 09-27-2006, 09:13 PM

985 posts, read 5,758,569 times
If you pick West Norcross, peachtree industrial side of Duluth, Suwanee or Sugar Hill, it is not bad at all. Just avoid some part of Norcross, some part of Lawrenceville and some part of Lilburn.

Old 09-28-2006, 05:31 AM

2 posts, read 19,735 times
I am in my 30s and have lived here since I was 13. I would not want to live in Gwinnett county. But I don't like busy areas. I like to be further out away from traffic. Gwinnett county is busting at the seems and traffic stinks!!! Traffic is horrendous anywhere in Atlanta basically. The best thing is that it's affordable and there are good schools despite what you hear. Like someone said it's the poorer areas that drag the whole state down in ranking. If you are looking to stay away from racism though, the south is not really the place to be.
I live in Cherokee county and it was beautiful but it's growing way tooo fast! My son's school is busting at the seems and the schools can't keep up with the growth. It's great for my property value but it's stinks for quality of life. I moved here to be away from traffic and the hustle and bustle, but now it's looks like we will have to move again to get away from it. All that being said, it's warm here, housing is affordable and there are a pretty good bit of jobs, and again there are good schools in Gwinnett county area i'm sure. I know that Cherokee county schools are good, just a bit overcrowded right now.
Hope this helps out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta