Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 07:32 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times

Advertisements

The second half of Season 2 of "The Walking Dead" -- arguably THE BEST of the many television series now filmed in Metro Atlanta -- begins tonight on AMC. To mark the occasion, and to celebrate with fellow "deadheads" I share a link to this really well done blog site I found that seeks out all the various locations used in the series, with photo galleries, commentary etc. Fascinating and informative stuff for any fans who've seen the show and wondered ... "where THAT is?"

Locations Index (by episode) | Walking Dead Locations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 09:54 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,870,659 times
i recognized most of the stuff in downtown, the norfolk southern building and all. it's south downtown so i hear they didn't have much trouble clearing the streets off to film there.

the quarry that they were in that they used as a campground is called bellwood quarry, it's off of west marietta/perry blvd (it changes names).

i don't know why they didn't film anywhere in the westside. a lot of that already looks post-apocalyptic.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:50 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i recognized most of the stuff in downtown, the norfolk southern building and all. it's south downtown so i hear they didn't have much trouble clearing the streets off to film there.

the quarry that they were in that they used as a campground is called bellwood quarry, it's off of west marietta/perry blvd (it changes names).

i don't know why they didn't film anywhere in the westside. a lot of that already looks post-apocalyptic.
Maybe they didn't want any zombies to get mugged?

Old 02-12-2012, 11:11 PM

The big question I've had all this season is : Where is that beautiful farm house and barn? Apparently it's just a set built on the Riverwood Studios backlot down in Senoia. Makes sense; it looked too pretty and perfectly situated to be a random location (and they've filmed practically ALL of this season on that farm, so being in a controlled studio atmosphere is clearly a bonus). If anybody doubted that we had true outdoor "movie studio ranch" operations (a la the San Fernando Valley) going on in Metro Atlanta, here it is! Southern Cal be damned!

Old 02-13-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Maybe they didn't want any zombies to get mugged?
well that's the thing— in some neighbourhoods over there you don't need to hire zombies, they're already there drugged out on heroin and meth, meandering around the streets. just put some face paint on them.

i shouldn't laugh. those people need help. but it is seriously like that in the bluff— could be a nice working class neighbourhood but it literally looks like the walking dead, homes all boarded up and people drugged out meandering across the streets, dragging one leg and all. it's creepy as hell.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:06 AM

Is the Bluff the neighborhood located between Marietta Blvd and the Fulton County Jail, beyond King Plow etc? I thought it had gotten pretty yuppified ....

Old 02-13-2012, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Is the Bluff the neighborhood located between Marietta Blvd and the Fulton County Jail, beyond King Plow etc? I thought it had gotten pretty yuppified ....
no that's west midtown. the bluff is like, if you go south on northside drive to bankhead hwy (hollowell), and turn right, the first neighbourhood on that road is the bluff. its official name is english avenue but i've done some research and it used to be called western heights or bellwood.

Paines Ave NW - Google Maps

some beautiful homes in there, but it's the heroin capital of the southeast. the upside is that it's got nowhere to go but up.

i find it interesting because of the degree of potential that it has, it's in such a prime location, and the historic homes that are there. but it's one of the roughest hoods in the US, and the infastructure is way outdated— the city has basically ignored it, you've still got dirt roads in there and stuff. i went in there the other week, i've never been in such a bad neighbourhood. it makes capitol view, vine city, look like heaven. i would love to see that place brought back up.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:26 AM

894 posts, read 1,324,814 times
Thanks for posting the link. Love "The Walking Dead"

Old 02-13-2012, 01:42 PM

LOL ... BRYANTM3 curious if the Bluffs is heroin capital of the SE what you were doing over there just driving around? I made a wrong turn at Bolton Road in Riverside once and ended up lost in Hollywood -- despite it being broad daylight I serious have never been that scared anywhere in Atlanta ever in my life!

Old 02-14-2012, 08:02 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,152 times
Quote:
well that's the thing— in some neighbourhoods over there you don't need to hire zombies, they're already there drugged out on heroin and meth, meandering around the streets. just put some face paint on them.

i shouldn't laugh. those people need help. but it is seriously like that in the bluff— could be a nice working class neighbourhood but it literally looks like the walking dead, homes all boarded up and people drugged out meandering across the streets, dragging one leg and all. it's creepy as hell.

Nope, no meth on the westside. Not yet at least. Atlanta is still mostly a cocaine city. Crack is still King.

Quote:

some beautiful homes in there, but it's the heroin capital of the southeast. the upside is that it's got nowhere to go but up.

But you are right about that, the Bluff is definitely the heroin capitol of the South. Heroin addicts drive all the way from places like Alabama and South GA just to come and get a fix. It's not uncommon to be at a gas station on the westside and have someone in a pickup with Troup County or Alabama plates pull up to you and ask you for directions on how to get to the interstate. You already know why they came over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
LOL ... BRYANTM3 curious if the Bluffs is heroin capital of the SE what you were doing over there just driving around? I made a wrong turn at Bolton Road in Riverside once and ended up lost in Hollywood -- despite it being broad daylight I serious have never been that scared anywhere in Atlanta ever in my life!

LOL. Growing up on the westside the only white people we saw over that way were either police or junkies looking for a fix. And if you really want to be scared just drive down Hollywood a little further and make that right on St. James Ave. and go up the hill until you get to Etheridge Courts. One way in and one way out, and it will make you nervous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta