Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 08:10 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
But even for Atlanta to Chattanooga, Savannah, Charlotte, etc., it doesn't seem to work. That should be clear as Amtrak is the sole US market survivor and is federally owned. A lot of rail companies around the world are owned by governments which keep them going to make jobs and provide pensions.
It's funny because passenger trains used to work great here. There were dozens of trains coming and going every day.

When you think about it, the U.S. is not all that spread out. For example, France is 261,000 sm with a population of 65 million. If I'm doing the numbers right that works out to 249 people per square mile.

If you took, say, the southern seaboard states -- MD, VA, NC, SC, GA and FL -- that's about the same area (264,000 sm) with a population of 58 million. That's 218 per square mile.

So while France has the edge in density it's not by all that much. With demographic trends being what they are, I wouldn't be surprised to see our density surpass them soon.

I think the difference has more to with the fact that we became an auto and airline oriented culture, whereas folks over there never gave up their trains. It's just not in our blood the way it is some other places.

Last edited by arjay57; 03-02-2012 at 08:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 11:32 PM

175 posts, read 235,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Megabus' popularity is because of price. If trains could offer similar prices companies like Norfolk Southern and CSX would offer it. We've been talking about the "Brain Train" from Athens to Atlanta for about 20 years. It doesn't appear to be a viable route.

First off norfolk southern and Csx ARE IN THE FREIGHT BUSINESS NOT PASSENGER BUSINESS SO WHAT U TALKIN ABOUT?...The brain train or the Athens Atlanta Commuter rail IS A VIABLE ROUTE...Just the politicians DONT HAVE THE BALLS TO MAKE IT HAPPEN...If it wasnt a good route then why is HWY 316 to I 85 a parking Lot in Rush hours?????....Ill wait for an Answer..

It's nice to be a dreamer optimist but we have to be realistic. No way can we offer those destinations at any hour of the day. I don't see it as cost effective to have rail routes to Athens, Augusta, Macon, Chattanooga, Coulumbus, Birmingham and even throw in Savannah. Until Amtrak steps in and shows that it is viable, I wouldn't try it.

Ok i didnt say we needed 24 hour rail service to these Places but at least a Train every 2to4 Hours would give people Flexibility to plan a day trip or something without being stranded till the next day...Amtrak wouldnt be a great provider for this simply becuase outside the Northeast and Southern Cali...Train only come and go once a day...like here in Atlanta...State owned commuter system would work better such as NJ Transit,MBTA Boston,METRA Chicago, etc

I don't buy the analogy. Having and raising a child, and tending to his education is not the same a having an inter-city rail system.

Its just an Example on how One can be so Dumb to Always want a profit on something thats a Neccesity NOT a Want...Like I said..PUTTING YOUR CHILD THRU COLLEGE...(NOT RAISING THEM) is a NECCESITY RIGHT??? not a Want...You do it so that Your child can be a productive member of society
So my connection is Build the system for a better Georgia Why does someone always gotta get paid??? If I were Watren buffet or something to that wealth and actually gave a **** about My state...ID DO IT...if its a bust( higly unlikely) Then i have my Billions to fallback on...

Old 03-03-2012, 02:02 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's funny because passenger trains used to work great here. There were dozens of trains coming and going every day.

When you think about it, the U.S. is not all that spread out. For example, France is 261,000 sm with a population of 65 million. If I'm doing the numbers right that works out to 249 people per square mile.
Not that spread out? The east and west coasts of the US are far enough apart that a train simply isn't viable. There is no country in western Europe that even approaches that scale.

I'm not sure your density comparison is valid ... the linear distance makes trains something which could only be used in certain corridors.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:45 AM

725 posts, read 1,279,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Not that spread out? The east and west coasts of the US are far enough apart that a train simply isn't viable. There is no country in western Europe that even approaches that scale.

I'm not sure your density comparison is valid ... the linear distance makes trains something which could only be used in certain corridors.

I believe he was talking about the southern states that border the atlantic coast. Where rail is definitly viable.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:19 AM

47 posts, read 138,985 times
Doesn't it all come down to the point that you have backwards republican rednecks running the state government who see nothing else in their lives than driving their tractors around their cornfields? I mean it seems that this kind of backwards mentality is what is strapping Atlanta from realizing its transportation goals which aren't a want at this point, they're a need, a necessity. The Airport has been capitalized on, they've done enough with it for now...lets get the region moving, the international/world connections are there but the regional flow of mobility has got to get the edge now. I would love to see Atlanta relive its railroad glory days!! Get that MMPT built, surround it with some good transit oriented high density developments with a vibrant scene, and let Atlanta rock out. First get these backward republican clowns out and some more liberal and forward thinking people in and this can become a reality, coup anyone? lol just kidding.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:49 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

If you took, say, the southern seaboard states -- MD, VA, NC, SC, GA and FL -- that's about the same area (264,000 sm) with a population of 58 million. That's 218 per square mile.

So while France has the edge in density it's not by all that much. With demographic trends being what they are, I wouldn't be surprised to see our density surpass them soon.

I think the difference has more to with the fact that we became an auto and airline oriented culture, whereas folks over there never gave up their trains. It's just not in our blood the way it is some other places.

I'm certainly a fan of math But French towns are pretty old and are fairly compact. The tendency there is for the desirable places to live are in town and the poor are pushed out to the burbs.

We were very train-centric but I guess the availability of gasoline created a car culture. I've lived in Europe and it's always interesting when coming back to the US, how spread out everything appears. France has a lot of nuclear power because they have little in energy natural resources.

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 03-03-2012 at 03:12 PM..

Old 03-03-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2ATL2NY View Post
Its just an Example on how One can be so Dumb to Always want a profit on something thats a Neccesity NOT a Want...Like I said..PUTTING YOUR CHILD THRU COLLEGE...(NOT RAISING THEM) is a NECCESITY RIGHT??? not a Want...You do it so that Your child can be a productive member of society
Really, college is not a necessity. It is a want.

Quote:
So my connection is Build the system for a better Georgia Why does someone always gotta get paid??? If I were Watren buffet or something to that wealth and actually gave a **** about My state...ID DO IT...if its a bust( higly unlikely) Then i have my Billions to fallback on...
Well, either ask Warren Buffet or work to become one...which of course means you have to get paid very very well. Sorry, but it is true, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmocha413 View Post
Doesn't it all come down to the point that you have backwards republican rednecks running the state government who see nothing else in their lives than driving their tractors around their cornfields? I mean it seems that this kind of backwards mentality is what is strapping Atlanta from realizing its transportation goals which aren't a want at this point, they're a need, a necessity. The Airport has been capitalized on, they've done enough with it for now...lets get the region moving, the international/world connections are there but the regional flow of mobility has got to get the edge now. I would love to see Atlanta relive its railroad glory days!! Get that MMPT built, surround it with some good transit oriented high density developments with a vibrant scene, and let Atlanta rock out. First get these backward republican clowns out and some more liberal and forward thinking people in and this can become a reality, coup anyone? lol just kidding.
So why do we need railroad regional mobility denied to us by said backwards republican rednecks? What are we unable to do that a intra-state rail system offers?

Old 03-03-2012, 05:28 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
I believe he was talking about the southern states that border the atlantic coast. Where rail is definitly viable.
That might be true. Regional rail could work quite well. Down here, there are several cities I would love to be able to travel to via rail like Savannah or Chattanooga.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:02 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post

Well, that's actually what I was talking about. Mathman said trains wouldn't work even for Atlanta to Chattanooga, Savannah, Charlotte, etc., and my point is that certain corridors do have the density to support trains. It's just not our mindset anymore.

I agree that transcontinental travel is is a different matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta