Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:50 AM

22 posts, read 63,379 times

Advertisements

That's awesome [and congratulations on your wedding!] Do you think that CoD will stay as it has been?? We're looking at a house zoned in Oakhurst. I looked on school digger and the free/reduced lunch has plummeted dramatically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 11:05 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,831,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aishacs View Post
That's awesome [and congratulations on your wedding!] Do you think that CoD will stay as it has been?? We're looking at a house zoned in Oakhurst. I looked on school digger and the free/reduced lunch has plummeted dramatically.
There was a big shake-up of the Elementary schools in the late 90's and early 2000's when CoD adopted a new strategic plan. There used to be 7 elementary schools. Some were transformed to the 4/5 academy, or administrative offices. It caused quite a bit of controversy at the time the plan was adopted. So, I don't think there is another massive reorganization coming, as I think they've sort of implemented the model they set out to over a decade ago.

Home values in Decatur are still increasing. The schools are a primary reason why. I don't foresee a huge reversal in either of those things on the time-scales you are considering.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:43 PM

4 posts, read 10,112 times
A few comments to add:

- CoD schools use the expeditionary learning system which is gaining in popularity. There is plenty about this system on the internet but basically the concept is to have learning expeditions that are interdisciplinary and interactive. An example might be that they have an expedition (which last say 4 months) about My Community for 1st graders. In that expedition they would of course study social studies about they community, they might teach math by teaching about money, teach reading by reading books about firemen, policeman, etc and typically they would take several field trips.

- CoD schools test scores may not be as high as some other schools because of the large economic diversity (a key factor in test scores) of the students attending the schools (particularly highschool and middle school). I believe the elementary schools are a little less diverse. But the fact that CoD schools score as well as they do despite the large economic diversity of its students is a testament to the school system.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:51 PM

461 posts, read 1,069,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtech1997 View Post
A few comments to add:

- CoD schools test scores may not be as high as some other schools because of the large economic diversity (a key factor in test scores) of the students attending the schools (particularly highschool and middle school). I believe the elementary schools are a little less diverse. But the fact that CoD schools score as well as they do despite the large economic diversity of its students is a testament to the school system.
Yes, COD was more diverse with the older kids and now is becoming less an less diverse by the day at the Elementary level.
All these kids go to 5th ave in 4th grade and on to Renfroe and DHS, which, in my opinion, is the most overlooked factor as to why Decatur schools are so amazing. The same kids from 4th grade to high school lends a more tight knit learning and social community. All the schools are very small compared to most as well so that also helps. When change is needed, it happens very quickly with the size and charter status.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:03 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtech1997 View Post

How much "economic diversity" can there be in a town where you can't buy a teardown-ready bungalow for under $200k? It's not as if there are kids from te projects in CoD schools. Or are you talking about the diversity between the kids who have parents making $200k/year, and those making $500k/year?

Old 03-14-2012, 06:21 PM

461 posts, read 1,069,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
How much "economic diversity" can there be in a town where you can't buy a teardown-ready bungalow for under $200k? It's not as if there are kids from te projects in CoD schools. Or are you talking about the diversity between the kids who have parents making $200k/year, and those making $500k/year?
There are kids that live in Section 8 housing, mostly a diverse immigrant population, not that it will be a significant majority in the future. But a main complex has actually just been rebuilt. You also have to factor in the people that bought homes in Oakhurst/Winnona before roughly 4 years ago. People tend to stick around here and do have homes that cost them significantly less than 200k then. Now, no way.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:41 AM

34 posts, read 83,896 times
Hi there. I had a question regarding amenities for those families enrolled in City of Decatur schools.

What kind of access do you have to varied sports such as hockey, lacrosse and soccer? If so, at what levels? Elementary, middle and/or high school? In the community?

I know that many schools state and nationwide are opting out of instrumental instruction due to budget cuts. Do City of Decatur schools offer band/orchestra at the elementary school level? If not when? If not at all, any community access to instrumental instruction?

Just wondering if the intown schools have the same access to these types of amenities in comparison to suburban living. Would love to hear positive feedback from COD families.

Why is this area just as good as OTP (not including commute times) for families? If someone such as my family worked from home or traveled via Hartsfield, why would we choose this option when schools OTP have majority of their students 'exceeding' the standards (as a few people have told me)? What are your honest opinions of expeditionary learning? Sounds like this type of learning utilizes more of critical thinking rather than 'teaching to the test.'

I know that many families OTP use tutors for varied reasons. Are there tutorial services in and around COD?

As you can read from former posts, my family is considering a move OTP, specifically Johns Creek, but want to seriously consider intown living. We love how you have access to various museums, botanical gardens, the zoo, aquarium, Piedmont Park, festivals, local pools and a walkable community. What other aspects do you like about living here? This as you know, isn't an easy decision and we'd like to weigh all the pros and cons.

Thanks in advance.
Bearwithme:

Old 04-19-2012, 11:59 AM

34 posts, read 83,896 times
P.S. Feel free to send a pm.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:27 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,831,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearwithme View Post
Hi there. I had a question regarding amenities for those families enrolled in City of Decatur schools.

Bearwithme:
Replied via PM

Old 04-19-2012, 06:51 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I am going to agree with the others, that part of the appeal of CoD schools is the location and the much higher quality than surrounding systems. The system is a million times more stable than DeKalb or Atlanta and that alone improves the schools.
City of Decatur schools are great but surely the better schools in the city of Atlanta and the surrounding counties are just as good, aren't they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: