Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:43 PM

426 posts, read 1,446,411 times

Advertisements

Schools vary considerably once you move outside the Decatur city limits. Some Dekalb County Schools are good, some are struggling. Ditto for the city of Atlanta schools in neighborhoods nearby Decatur. BTW, East Atlanta proper is zoned for Burgess-Peterson Elementary, Coan Middle, and Southside. The schools mentioned by ATLianGirl serve neighborhoods north of I-20. Housing prices are MUCH higher in these neighborhoods, higher than city of Decatur I would say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 06:54 PM

218 posts, read 1,189,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadgrad View Post
are you implying that you cannot have a strong family oriented vibe as well as a strong city vibe? to me Decatur is a great combination of both. You DO NOT have to give up the city vibe to get a great family vibe.

suburbia is not the only place to find a strong family vibe!!!!!!!!!

The schools in Decatur are great too...
No, I am not saying that, I am just saying that you will not find both in Fayetteville. The schools in Decatur City are good...the further away from Decatur City you get into REAL Decatur, the worse the schools are.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:40 AM

3 posts, read 14,507 times
Thanks for all the input..it's very helpful to hear from the people who live there.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:15 PM

401 posts, read 1,733,159 times
Default Decatur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLienGirl View Post
No, I am not saying that, I am just saying that you will not find both in Fayetteville. The schools in Decatur City are good...the further away from Decatur City you get into REAL Decatur, the worse the schools are.
The City of Decatur is the "REAL" Decatur. The surrounding areas that are further away are not Decatur, although they like to call themselves "Decatur" - they are very, very different, however.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:24 PM

218 posts, read 1,189,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtiger View Post
The City of Decatur is the "REAL" Decatur. The surrounding areas that are further away are not Decatur, although they like to call themselves "Decatur" - they are very, very different, however.
To me, the City of Decatur is like the "fairy tale" part of Decatur; I say REAL Decatur because of how REAListically horrible it is. I have cousins that grew up in Decatur (the REAL) part of Decatur. As a native and from all my native friends, including the ones that grew up in Decatur (more specifically south DeKalb, Snapfinger Woods, parts of Columbia Drive, the OTHER part of Candler Road), say the same thing. That's how WE look at it.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:13 PM

12 posts, read 35,712 times
Default Decatur!

Decatur has more things to do, especially for kids, and better schools. Great for coffee shops and book stores.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:39 PM

109 posts, read 485,512 times
Take a look at Decatur and the City of Decatur. As you can imagine the City of Decatur has the municipal buildings and is a little more urban than the rest of Decatur, it has its own PD who are pretty strict, the schools are a little better than in the rest of Decatur (IMHO). It there is plenty of dining and entertainment in the area, along with new mixed used developments. It is close to public transportation and shouldn't be too bad of a drive for your husband to the auto malls on Peachtree Industrial, up I-85 or back down on the south side (going against the flow of traffic). The rest of Decatur is more of residential.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:41 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
Morningside ES, Inman Middle, Grady High serve the Virginia-Highland neighborhood and parts of Midtown.

Mary Lin ES, Inman Middle, and Grady High serve Candler Park, Inman Park, Lake Claire, Poncey-Highlands and a small part of Druid Hills.

These two school lines are probably the best in APS (I think Centennial ES probably is very good but I don't know about it's middle school, though they do go on to Grady).

Deklab County has Fernbank ES, Shamrock Middle, and Druid Hills High, which are good and serve unincorporated Dekalb, including part of the Druid Hills neighborhood, and the area up Clairmont before you get to N. Druid Hills Rd.

For the OP I would suggest Decatur over Fayetteville because of the city vibe and the shorter commute. You might want ot look in the above neighborhoods, as well.

$1500 should get you a small house in Candler Park, Lake Claire, or Poncey-Highlands, probably even a 3/2. I own a duplex and live in the bottom apartment with my husband and son. It's a 2/1 with office. We rent out the upstairs apartment, which is a 2/1 about 1100 square feet with a nice balcony, sun porch off the kitchen and a really big back deck, for $1100/mo. Before we bought this place we were renting a 2/1 house with basement for $1200/mo and we had seen larger places for the OP's price range.

However, the biggest warning is that you will not find a large house for that price. Actually, it's hard to find a large house for any price. Most of the houses are historical, built in the early 1900s, so they're just small. But, these neighborhoods have lots of young familiers, are close to things to do and work, and have good schools.

Welcome to Atlanta where the closer you can live to work the better.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:34 PM

17 posts, read 59,246 times
I would go with Fayetteville. It's safer.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:34 PM

3 posts, read 13,018 times
What part of Fayettville is the better part to live in??? We are relocating this summer and I am looking there, PTC, and Tyrone. I don't have to have the city vibe. I grew up in a small town and have lived in a big city for the last four years. Need a change from big city. Any advice from anyone is great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta