Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 12:28 PM

163 posts, read 269,966 times

Advertisements

Single 23 year old professional with ability to move to Alpharetta next year. Please give ms some reasons why or why not to do it.

I'll tell you what I heard so far. Big spiders. Snakes. Dry hot weather. Expensive AC bills. People will see if you don't go to chuch on Sunday (I'm not religous). Heavy accents. Very high car tab fee's.

That's what I've been told so far. I'm open to the idea but with what I have been told so far, I can't see myself doing it! There has to be some positives! But, if you have more negatives, please share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 12:39 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
1. Been here four years so far, and haven't seen a single snake. Spiders have been limited to the occasional one here or there, none of which I'd classify as "big".

2. Not sure where you got the idea that it was "dry"- hot, yes- but dry- not really, either from the "no rain" sense or the "no humidity" sense.

3. Have only been asked twice in four years about church, and in neither case did it last more than a few seconds. Yes, many people here take church very seriously, but your lack of church-going will not result in you being shunned.

4. Yes, there are people here with accents, but most of the heavy southern accents are in areas outside of Atlanta, and a good percentage of the folks here are from somewhere else, so they don't have southern accents at all. I run into more people with NJ/NY accents than I do people with southern accents.

5. Define "very high" with relation to car tag fees. We pay less than $500 total for two cars, one of which is a 2008, and one a 2009.

I'll take all of the above in exchange for the low real estate costs and general low cost of living compared to places like NJ (where we're from), Seattle, DC, or California any day of the week. If the items you mentioned above are deal-breakers for you, you're not thinking big picture....

Old 12-05-2011, 12:51 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
I'd be hesitant to live in Alpharetta at age 23. For younger people, there's just so much more to do inside the perimeter. And none of the cultural issues would really matter either (I don't know a single person my age who lives in inner Atlanta and goes to church regularly).

Old 12-05-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
1. Been here four years so far, and haven't seen a single snake. Spiders have been limited to the occasional one here or there, none of which I'd classify as "big".

2. Not sure where you got the idea that it was "dry"- hot, yes- but dry- not really, either from the "no rain" sense or the "no humidity" sense.

3. Have only been asked twice in four years about church, and in neither case did it last more than a few seconds. Yes, many people here take church very seriously, but your lack of church-going will not result in you being shunned.

4. Yes, there are people here with accents, but most of the heavy southern accents are in areas outside of Atlanta, and a good percentage of the folks here are from somewhere else, so they don't have southern accents at all. I run into more people with NJ/NY accents than I do people with southern accents.

5. Define "very high" with relation to car tag fees. We pay less than $500 total for two cars, one of which is a 2008, and one a 2009.

I'll take all of the above in exchange for the low real estate costs and general low cost of living compared to places like NJ (where we're from), Seattle, DC, or California any day of the week. If the items you mentioned above are deal-breakers for you, you're not thinking big picture....

All of the things I stated are things I heard from people. #5. Our car tabs in Seattle are usually around 55 bucks per car. I've never paid more than $60.00 for any of the cars I've had. =)

Thanks for the clarification on the other things!

Old 12-05-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I'd be hesitant to live in Alpharetta at age 23. For younger people, there's just so much more to do inside the perimeter. And none of the cultural issues would really matter either (I don't know a single person my age who lives in inner Atlanta and goes to church regularly).
I'm a 23 year old but I act like a 40+ year old. My idea of a good weekend is waking up at 4:30AM, turning on the coffee, and playing guitar while the sun comes up. Then I'll go out for a run or go work out at the gym. After that I'll probably go play sports of some kind or just hang out at home. I'm not your typical 23 year old who goes out on the weekends.. I take it easy. So it might work for me!

Old 12-05-2011, 02:11 PM

397 posts, read 843,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlephil View Post
All of the things I stated are things I heard from people. #5. Our car tabs in Seattle are usually around 55 bucks per car. I've never paid more than $60.00 for any of the cars I've had. =)
Sure but what does the rest of your tax picture look like compared to GA? How about gas, what do you pay for a gallon now? We are at about $3.17/gal - I live in Alpharetta.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:25 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Single 23 year old professional with ability to move to Alpharetta next year. Please give ms some reasons why or why not to do it.

I'll tell you what I heard so far. Big spiders. Snakes. Dry hot weather. Expensive AC bills. People will see if you don't go to chuch on Sunday (I'm not religous). Heavy accents. Very high car tab fee's.

That's what I've been told so far. I'm open to the idea but with what I have been told so far, I can't see myself doing it! There has to be some positives! But, if you have more negatives, please share!
The spiders aren't that big, but the cockroaches... Palmetto bugs are fun kitty toys, but some people don't seem to appreciate them.

Snakes are hard to find (I look all the time). Atlanta gets 50 inches of rain a year, which is twice as much as the Minneapolis area I came from. Seattle only gets 38 inches on average. A/C bills can add up, but it all depends on where you live and how low you set your thermostat. Most of the folks I know here couldn't care less if/where you go to church, I know more transplants than southerners and most of the latter have a mild accent at best, and "ad valorem" fees (car tax) are based on value and can add up but are roughly the same as we had in MN. I'm paying a $20 tag fee and $22.14 Ad Valorem on my car this year, tho (94 Accord). w00t!

Positives: four seasons (but winter is really pickets of mild winter surrounded by fall), beautiful hills and trees (tho maybe flat from your perspective ), housing is MUCH cheaper than in the Seattle area.

Why are you considering the move? A job opening up here? I wouldn't move here without some sort of job lined up in any case.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
The spiders aren't that big, but the cockroaches... Palmetto bugs are fun kitty toys, but some people don't seem to appreciate them.

Snakes are hard to find (I look all the time). Atlanta gets 50 inches of rain a year, which is twice as much as the Minneapolis area I came from. Seattle only gets 38 inches on average. A/C bills can add up, but it all depends on where you live and how low you set your thermostat. Most of the folks I know here couldn't care less if/where you go to church, I know more transplants than southerners and most of the latter have a mild accent at best, and "ad valorem" fees (car tax) are based on value and can add up but are roughly the same as we had in MN. I'm paying a $20 tag fee and $22.14 Ad Valorem on my car this year, tho (94 Accord). w00t!

Positives: four seasons (but winter is really pickets of mild winter surrounded by fall), beautiful hills and trees (tho maybe flat from your perspective ), housing is MUCH cheaper than in the Seattle area.

Why are you considering the move? A job opening up here? I wouldn't move here without some sort of job lined up in any case.
Thanks for the info! I work for a telecommunications company that is offering me my same position in Alpharetta. I moved to Sweden three years ago so I definitely enjoy change. They would pay for everything for me to get down there so all I really have to do is find a place and do it. I have between now and Dec 2012.

Four seasons would be nice.. In Seattle it's pretty much clouds all year around!

Old 12-05-2011, 04:50 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,549 times
I would live in Roswell or Sandy Springs if I were in your shoes. (young and single). I agree with the others, Alpharetta is definitely for the married with kids crowd. Sure, there are older people and young professionals, but it is definitely geared towards the families with minor children group.

Have you been in Atlanta and the suburbs to see how it is in person? That might help you more in your decision. Good luck!

Old 12-05-2011, 05:18 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,803 times
Quote:
I'm a 23 year old but I act like a 40+ year old. My idea of a good weekend is waking up at 4:30AM, turning on the coffee, and playing guitar while the sun comes up. Then I'll go out for a run or go work out at the gym. After that I'll probably go play sports of some kind or just hang out at home.
I think you have a really skewed idea of the typical 40+ year old's lifestyle. Except for the coffee.

The cost of living is substantially lower in Atlanta than in Seattle, regardless of the price of tabs. Unless you plan to live in your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta