Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 07:52 PM

3 posts, read 12,713 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

Our eldest daughter was just accepted to kindergarten at four schools and wait listed at one. We're choosing between the four- Pace, Wesleyan, Holy Innocents and Lovett. We're very excited to have options, but also overwhelmed by the differences between these four schools, and we're really having a tough time choosing. I would really appreciate any insight you can provide on any/all of these four schools as we make up our minds.

Here's a bit of our background. We live north of Brookhaven (near Perimeter Mall, but inside the perimeter), so none of these schools are particularly close, but we're fine car pooling and commuting the distance for any of them. Ideally, we'll be at the school til graduation (obviously this could change) so perhaps we will move closer to the school in a couple years. We want an environment that is academically stimulating, but at the same time nurturing. We want lots of opportunities for our daughter as she grows up- athletics, arts, college placement, diverse friends, etc.

If you could give us your thoughts on each of these schools it would be great. Or perhaps, you could tell us what you would do in this situation, or rank them 1-4 or something to help us piece things together.

Much much thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 04:57 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
Regarding Wesleyan in particular, would you prefer that your life gravitate north/OTP or south/ITP? I ask because we live OTP and go to a private school ITP. Even with a carpool, it is challenging. Your children's friends will overwhelmingly live in Dunwoody, Alpharetta, and points north. That may not matter too much now, but certainly will matter to you when they are in high school and you are driving back and forth to after-school activities. In addition, Wesleyan is a very religious school, whereas Pace (definitely) and Lovett/HIES are not as religious. How important is that factor to you? If you are not particularly interested in an evangelical school (e.g., with the Head of School overtly stating that they proselytize), Wesleyan is probably not for you. Pace and Wesleyan are two vastly different schools. You need to decide what factors are important to you. If you could list some of those, that might help people to guide you.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:30 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
CMMom has given you good advice, but I would add that most Wesleyan kids now come from North of Dunwoody even. How confident are you that can find a carpool for each of the schools you listed? I know that more and more families in that area are using public school. If all things are equal, having a carpool would be a top priority.

Wesleyan is very different than the rest of the schools you listed. Pace and Lovett strike me as more competive in the upper school than Holly Innocent but not by much. I think Pace consistently has a more impressive college list than HI but that is a long way off for you.

I would go by fit (and carpool). What feels right to you?

I might also add that I would want, if given the option, to be in the school where playdates live the closest. But that is just me. I have one child who attended private school where kids lived all over. While we had a nice carpool, it was a pain for everything else.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:31 AM

230 posts, read 492,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
CMMom has given you good advice, but I would add that most Wesleyan kids now come from North of Dunwoody even. How confident are you that can find a carpool for each of the schools you listed? I know that more and more families in that area are using public school. If all things are equal, having a carpool would be a top priority.

Wesleyan is very different than the rest of the schools you listed. Pace and Lovett strike me as more competive in the upper school than Holly Innocent but not by much. I think Pace consistently has a more impressive college list than HI but that is a long way off for you.

I would go by fit (and carpool). What feels right to you?

I might also add that I would want, if given the option, to be in the school where playdates live the closest. But that is just me. I have one child who attended private school where kids lived all over. While we had a nice carpool, it was a pain for everything else.
Agree with LMM on competitiveness. Pace is definitely the most competitive, followed by Lovett. I got into Pace, but decided to go to Woodward, since i'm not a Christian. Also, from what I have heard, Wesleyan is becoming more religious. That can be either a (+) or (-) depending on your view.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:40 AM

329 posts, read 638,319 times
Atlantan78

If you dont mind, what made you choose theoe 4 schools over the ones that are fairly close to your area (I live in that area too), such as OLA, St Martins, Mt Vernon, etc?

Old 04-12-2012, 10:47 AM

403 posts, read 619,770 times
This is such a personal decision I don't see how you can get much constructive advice here. If it were me, I'd pick Lovett out of the group mentioned, but that may not be right for you. To me it seems the most balanced, with a beautiful campus, nice facilities, no overbearing religious agenda, but still a focus on character development, chapel, uniforms etc.

My second choice would be probably be Pace. Good academic reputation,small and nurturing etc. I think the campus is a bit of a hodge podge and the upper school building is ready for a wrecking ball, but it is what goes on inside the classroom that really counts.

I have heard some negative feedback from a few familes on HEIS, but others seem to like it.I'm neutral on this one.

Wesleylan is either your cup of tea or not. My office is near their campus and the kids I see in the community are well mannered and carry themselves well, but it seems a bit nouveau riche and I get a laugh out of the JOY stickers plastered on the fleet on GL450s and Range Rovers making their way onto campus, but if you lean evangelical then it could be for you.

Didn't you form an impression touring and during the admin process?

Old 04-12-2012, 01:16 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
I would focus on your immediate needs for a nurturing lower school and avoid thinking too far ahead. When my children were accepted to the private K - 12 school of our choice, I thought we were set for the next 12 years. Oh how wrong I was... Schools change, your child's needs become more apparent and life happens (job changes, moves...). I wouldn't worry too much about anything upper school related like driving or college admissions at this point and just go with whichever school fits best for the next few years.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:30 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,069 times
Your child will become best friends with the person who lives the furthest away.
And, the driving begins with the first birthday party and multiplies.....

Old 04-12-2012, 07:53 PM

418 posts, read 906,639 times
A wise person told me that you can't plan but for the next 4-6 years...Pinetreelover is spot on.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:23 PM

559 posts, read 832,549 times
My daughter is in kindergarten at Holy Innocents right now and it has been a phenomenal experience for her and really our whole family. I can't speak for the upper school or college lists and I really don't care - she's in Kindergarten for crying out loud.

The thing that set HIES apart for us was the people. It is just the most nurturing and welcoming place we've ever been around. Not one snooty encounter have we had w a parent, teacher, etc. And the 4 kindergarten teachers there have all been teaching K for 30 years and are just phenomenal. I can't even tell you about HI 1st grade, but I know HI K has been a perfect experience for our daughter.

We knew on our campus tour that Lovett was definitely not for us. We live in Smynings so that would be the closest, but Lovett seemed to be more uppity and sterile than HIES. We're not Buckhead society or old Atlanta money.

Pace - not for us. We are a Christian family and preferred a school with at least some Christian values. HIES is a nice balance. It's Christian enough to say Christmas, or Easter, or Jesus without getting all PC and the kids go to a weekly chapel about values.

Wesleyan - way too far away for us.

If you want more specific info on HI kindergarten, just let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta