Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 07:23 PM

258 posts, read 604,721 times

Advertisements

I am starting a new job just off of Fulton Industrial Blvd next week. Unfortunately I was sick for the past two weeks so I am behind in trying to find a place. (Luckily I have a friend and a very temporary room in Newton) Here's my situation: I own a house in Greenville, SC. I am trying to sell, or rent it out, so I will need to find a 1 Bedroom apartment for at least a year. Since I will be paying a mortgage as well, I will need to keep my rent to $650 or less. I don't need anything luxurious, but I would like to be somewhere safe, as my wife will be joining me in a few months.

I visited about 5 apartments in my price range today after finding them online. Two were in Smyrna, two in Sandy Springs, and one just off of Fulton Industrial Blvd.

The two in Smyrna were extremely sketchy. I have settled on the fact that $650 and under this close to the city is not going to be safe.

We did love one of the complexes in Sandy Springs, and it is $550 a month. Very doable. However, it took me 45 minutes to get to Fulton Industrial when I did a test run at 2:00 this afternoon. (Friday) However it was a very young, diverse, and clean place from what I can see, which my wife and I loved.

Finally, I visited a complex literally just off of Fulton Industrial which was $640. It was a nice complex, but it was right beside a Marta drop off, and the tenants that were out and about didn't look like the most desirable neighbors I can think of. (This is not a racial comment BTW. This is just how I feel when I parking lot of people look at me during my tour like I don't belong there) I feel like this place would be safe enough, but we wouldn't have very many friends the first year, and there is literally NOTHING around. On the other hand, not having a commute would be nice.

Any other advice would be extremely appreciated. I really like the Sandy Springs place, but is this commute going to make me pull my hair out by the time it is all said and done? Is there any way to go from Sandy Springs to Fulton Industrial without taking 285?

How about living right on Fulton Industrial? Like I said, I'm sure we'd be safe. They have two security officers, alarms in every room, and I have personal protection as well. My concern is mostly about the fact that there seems to be nothing around us. We would have a bunch of warehouses and a Dunkin Donuts.

Any other tips? Like I said, Smyrna seems to be out of our range if we want even a decent place. Lithia Springs also seems to be a little bit out of our range. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 07:24 PM

By the way, in case anyone is wondering why I am posting about Fulton Industrial when my last post was about Tucker... my assignment changed from Norcross to Fulton Industrial since that post. Thanks!

Old 04-13-2012, 09:45 PM

66 posts, read 182,899 times
I used to live in Smyrna and commute to Fulton Industrial Blvd. Not a bad commute, seeing as though you're going against traffic. I'm not sure which apartments you looked at, but the ones around Spring rd. should be in your price range and I don't think they would be considered sketchy. I can't think of the names, but maybe you should give the area another look.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:07 PM

230 posts, read 493,068 times
Second what JonSavage said. Also, check out Mableton.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:44 PM

276 posts, read 431,133 times
There is a pretty new apartment complex on Fulton Industrial past Boat Rock Rd. It was built in the past 3 years and is pretty close to Camp Creek Parkway. You might also want to check out the apartments on Camp Creek Parkway and off Thornton Rd. I can't recall them being that expensive, but I don't remember exact prices.

You might also want to look on S Cobb Dr in Smyrna. It is a very easy commute if you live close to 285 (before the East West connector) and it use to take me about 17-20 minutes as it is a reverse commute.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:47 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,878,856 times
fulton industrial is a pretty sketchy red-light district. your best options are probably going to be either going up along 285 and looking for properties bolton road and northward.
you may want to check out whittier mill village off of bolton road— although the mill homes may be out of your price range there are nearby apartments that are less expensive and still in a nice area.

other safe bets are in smyrna, vinings, and sandy springs.

if you're willing to take a look, there may be some decent places off of highway 166 in east point, but the area is definitely hit or miss in parts.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperanita View Post
There is a pretty new apartment complex on Fulton Industrial past Boat Rock Rd. It was built in the past 3 years and is pretty close to Camp Creek Parkway. You might also want to check out the apartments on Camp Creek Parkway and off Thornton Rd. I can't recall them being that expensive, but I don't remember exact prices.

You might also want to look on S Cobb Dr in Smyrna. It is a very easy commute if you live close to 285 (before the East West connector) and it use to take me about 17-20 minutes as it is a reverse commute.
Yeah the one just past Boat Rock Rd was the one I visited yesterday. Very nice apartments, and I could tell they had been recently built. However, they had a special low income program that took like $100 off rent if you qualified. I'm sure I would be safe there, but I still wasn't getting the most welcoming looks in the parking lot.

I went to two different apartments in Smyrna, and one was just off Cobb Dr. This particular one was tucked way back behind two abondoned business buildings and was very ghetto. The other ones off of Cobb Dr. that seemed nice were a little out of my price range. However, I admit that I may need to look again as I was in and out of Smyrna pretty quick.

I hadn't looked much off of Camp Creek Parkway and off Thornton so I will definitely make that my next step. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 04-14-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
fulton industrial is a pretty sketchy red-light district. your best options are probably going to be either going up along 285 and looking for properties bolton road and northward.
you may want to check out whittier mill village off of bolton road— although the mill homes may be out of your price range there are nearby apartments that are less expensive and still in a nice area.

other safe bets are in smyrna, vinings, and sandy springs.

if you're willing to take a look, there may be some decent places off of highway 166 in east point, but the area is definitely hit or miss in parts.
Great. Thanks for the feedback I will start my research and see what I can find near Whittier Mill.

While you have a good point that the East Point area can be a little sketchy, I have considered the fact that East Atlanta coming through the city to Fulton Industrial would me a much easier commute than living north and driving down the perimiter. I will start looking there as well.

Thanks again!

Old 04-14-2012, 08:02 AM

16 posts, read 29,333 times
Commuting from Smyrna/Vinings will be a pain during rush hour.
There's plenty of nice apartments within 15 minutes easy drive of Fulton Industrial & Camp Creek Pkwy.

$650 is a little low for the nicer properties in the immediate area. Be prepared to pay $700-800 for the newer developments.

Sandtown Vista is <5 minute east of Fulton Industrial, off Camp Creek. Its part of the Sandtown Center, a pleasant and quiet developemnt. $700 for 1 BR.

If you continue south on Fulton Industrial, you'll see the relatively new Riverside Astoria complex on the left.

Take Fulton Industrial further south to Hwy 92, and take a right. There's a big Publix shopping center at the intersection of 92 and the S. Fulton Parkway. Two newer apartment complexes are adajcent to the center.

Or drive SE on Camp Creek. Behind the Camp Creek Marketplace shopping complex, you'll find similar apartment developments.

BTW...The "red light district" is in the area where Fulton Industrial intersects with I-20. Those problems are isolated to that area.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:48 AM

I have been looking in Mabelton. I found a complex called Cooper Lake Apartments off of Cooper Lake Rd SW which is just off of Veteran's Memorial Hwy SW. The rent is cheap and the reviews are surprisingly "not bad". Anyone familiar with this area? I am in Greenville until Monday and would like to know if I should add this to my list of possibilities to see when I get back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta