Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 08:36 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,623,857 times

Advertisements

One of our fave things to with our kids is drive up to Chattanooga and canoe on the Hiawassee. It's a wide slow river and I feel perfectly comfortable with my seven year old onboard. The great thing is that the water is always cold because it comes from the bottom of the dam. We went last year in the middle of July and it felt great. The other fabulous thing about Chattanooga is that you can play outside all day and then within minutes be back in town for a nice dinner. There's a brew pub downtown that we like -- the atmosphere is fine for kids, at least during the hours you're likely to be there. The aquarium there is very nice as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 09:49 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,076,746 times
Just one quick point of order:

Personally, I can't stand Helen, but if you like the whole Bavarian theme, by all means visit it.

HOWEVER, if you are merely looking to tube the hooch, Helen somehow got famous for doing this, but it's the worst possible place you can tube. The river is more like a creek, it's packed full of rednecks, you get hung up on rocks and other tubers, and there is open sewage spilling into the river.

If you want to tube, there is much, much, better tubing right here in Atlanta. I have tubed much of the river, and the best route is to start at Buford Dam and get off at the GA 20 bridge. If you want an all day tubing affair, you can go down to Settles Bridge, but you can be at GA 20 in 1.5 - 2 hours.

The river is much better in this area. It's extremely wide, practically empty, and there are a few very minor rapids (nothing dangerous, but makes it a little more fun). The only con is water that flows through Buford Dam is from the bottom of Lake Lanier, so while it is crystal clear, it is very cold. The other con is that I think only one outfitter by Lake Lanier offers this trip. But why use an outfitter? Just buy a freaking tube, pay the $4 to park at Buford Dam, and leave a car by the abandoned church at the GA 20 bridge for free, that's what everybody does. Then you can do the trip on your own terms without spending hours signing waivers and riding on smelly school buses.

Just call the number and make sure there is no water release scheduled. They typically don't schedule them on weekends in the summer, but better safe than sorry. This entire portion of the river is within earshot of the release sirens, but there aren't many good places to pull off if you hear them, so better to check beforehand.

Yes, I want to see the tubing industry in Helen dry up because I have no idea how they got famous for offering tubes on this far inferior portion of the river!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:10 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,313,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

Yes, I want to see the tubing industry in Helen dry up because I have no idea how they got famous for offering tubes on this far inferior portion of the river!
Yeah, let's put some more people out of work.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:29 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,076,746 times
Quote:
Yeah, let's put some more people out of work.
For offering crummy service on a bad resource....yeah, put them out of work!

Just like if we put the guys who put boots on your car out of work, I doubt anybody would cry.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:51 PM
JPD

Quote:
For offering crummy service on a bad resource....yeah, put them out of work!

Just like if we put the guys who put boots on your car out of work, I doubt anybody would cry.
Now you're just being petty.

Enough people enjoy tubing in Helen to keep them in business. I don't think any of them think it's the greatest tubing experience in the world. But as long as they're willingly paying for this harmless activity, I see no reason for them to go out of business.

As for booting, if you don't like it, find somewhere legal to park your car.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:53 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,905,433 times
Lake Winnie in North Georgia, close to Tenn. border, just off 75. Great old amusement park.

Home [Lake Winnie]

Old 05-18-2012, 08:19 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,322,568 times
Quote:
Just one quick point of order:

Personally, I can't stand Helen, but if you like the whole Bavarian theme, by all means visit it.

HOWEVER, if you are merely looking to tube the hooch, Helen somehow got famous for doing this, but it's the worst possible place you can tube. The river is more like a creek, it's packed full of rednecks, you get hung up on rocks and other tubers, and there is open sewage spilling into the river.

For those with kids, and those who are swimming challenged -- Helen tubing is mostly safe depth.

I am guessing water is pretty deep around here?? Can some one confirm -- otherwise, I could try the one in metro Atlanta.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:04 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,428,441 times
Someone mentioned Macon. It has some Indian mounds worth visiting near the downtown area. Macon is only one and a half hours max from downtown Atlanta.

For the outdoors types, High Falls Park in Jackson, GA along the way to Macon and very convenient off 75 is a great outdoorsy place to do things like fishing, camping or lounging in the river. Jackson is an easy drive from the metro on the weekend.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:05 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,246,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
Someone mentioned Macon.
Can anybody give me some ideas of things to do in Macon. I have never checked out the Indian Mounds, but I don't think my interest would be high.

I know there is a music museum, is it any good?

Any great restaurants?

I have always wanted to like Macon, never found a good reason to. Ready for that to change.

Second High Falls State Park. Totally worth a quick 30 min or more stop while traveling 75 S.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:19 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Can anybody give me some ideas of things to do in Macon. I have never checked out the Indian Mounds, but I don't think my interest would be high.

I know there is a music museum, is it any good?

You're probably referring to the Georgia Music Hall of Fame. Unfortunately, it recently went out of business and is closed.

There is an Allman Brothers museum there. If you like them, I'm sure you'd enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta