Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,697 times

Advertisements

My gf is moving to Georgia next year. She wants me to move with her. We both live in NYC and I am very leery about making such a move. She wants to live in the Gwinnett County area and I just don't know much about the South at all. My concerns are this:
1. Good clean, integrated neighborhoods (we are African-American)
2. Jobs (currently making 50K here)
3. Criime (I hear Atlanta is terrible and I want no part of it)
4. Climate (I cannot stand the summer heat)
5. Housing

Anyone out there who can help? Just throw me some ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 01:53 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,213,408 times
What are your concerns about housing? My friends from NYC who have visited me here are shocked about how cheap rents are (and that was in trendy part of Midtown). And if you're looking to buy, Atlanta has some of the cheapest housing around for a major city.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:30 PM

483 posts, read 2,094,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flushingboy View Post
My gf is moving to Georgia next year. She wants me to move with her. We both live in NYC and I am very leery about making such a move. She wants to live in the Gwinnett County area and I just don't know much about the South at all. My concerns are this:
5. Housing

Certain parts of Atlanta are dangerous. Most aren't. Being from NYC, you should have built-in sensors for that sort of thing.

Sure it's hot. That's why we have air conditioning. No one else can stand it either. But it's almost over for this year, anyway. Had to turn the heat on yesterday morning. So it's not like it is ALWAYS hot.

You're going to be able to afford much better housing than you could hope to have in NY.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:01 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flushingboy View Post

My concerns are this:
5. Housing

Ok, well, numbers 1 and 2 are fine. There are plenty of mixed neighborhoods around, and the reason most people move to Atlanta is because of the job market being so healthy. # 5 - well, there are homes everywhere at most price levels. Atlanta is overall cheaper with housing than most other large cities.

However, # 3 and 4... well, we're well known for the crime rate here, and in the summer it can get close to or top 100 degrees with high humidity. Even in October you're talking about temps in the 80s. And you didn't even talk about the traffic on your list. If # 3 and 4 bother you that much, no, Atlanta is not the place for you.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:43 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,067,803 times
Quote:
She wants to live in the Gwinnett County area
Gwinnett County is NOT Atlanta. Its total suburbia, and if youre coming from NYC, believe me its going to be a big adjustment. If you are considering moving down there, I'd suggest Buckhead or Midtown, much more lively and more places to go to.

Crime is pretty bad in the actual city of Atlanta as you mentioned. And summers can get pretty hot too.. I went up there last month and the heat index was about 99 degrees. Housing is more affordable than NYC, though I dont know what your budget's like and what you consider expensive. Anyway, good luck with whatever you do.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:15 PM

3 posts, read 11,737 times
I feel that compared to NYC going to Gwinnett county you don't have much to worry about. We have nice neigborhoods, crime(compared to NYC), definately can get more house for the money, on the job it just depends on the field that you are in and climate yeah its hot in the summer but bearable, here we do a lot of driving so your are either in your AC house or AC car.

Last edited by jxu66; 09-21-2007 at 03:35 PM..

Old 09-21-2007, 11:59 PM

11 posts, read 66,924 times
I'm originally from NYC, now I've lived in South Florida for the past 6 years, but I am seriously considering moving up to North Georgia.
I am afraid of the culture shock, as SouthFlorida is basically the 6th NYC borough...but Georgia is definetly different.
I already bought a home in GA one that overlooks the mountains, but still close to 400 and Lanier Lake....

My only reservation is leaving behind friends and family again..but I am single and hey, you only live once..Worse scenario is I move back to South Florida should I hate it after a couple of years...

Change can be scary

Old 11-06-2007, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 5,507 times
Hey Girl
I just moved for NJ. I've been in GA for about 2 mths now. So far so good. I have a great job. The cost of living compaired to NJ and NY is about 50% cheeper. I had the same concerns as you before I relocated to GA. But at the end of the day it was worth the change. Trust me I miss the hell out of NY. The traffic here is crazy and the shopping I hate it. I have to call home and have my family ship the thing I need here. Or order what I need online. I have been down to ATL I live about 45 min away from the A. ATL has changed for the worse the crime there is just like Newark NJ. I did not feel safe at all when I was there. I live in Gwinnett County and the school system here is great for my 6th grader. Finding a job was the least of my problem as long as you have the drive and are a go getter you will not have a problem finding a job. Just make sure you find your job first then look for an apt or house. I do not recommend any young person to buy a house first (please, please) rent for at least 1 year. I've been here as I said 2 mth and already found a different town I would love to be in. But now I have to wait until my lease is up in Sept. 2008. Try AJC.Com that website is great if you are looking job, apt, or house to rent or buy.
Unless you are looking for crime and other crazy problems:
DO NOT MOVE TO BUCKHEAD

Old 11-07-2007, 10:33 PM

9 posts, read 35,609 times
i moved to atlanta from NY and it was the worst decision i have ever made. if you fear crime in any way, stay away. i am leaving in two months after two years of disgust in a poor, downtrodden, crime-ridden city run by corrupt and uneducated people.

i don't care what anyone tells you about "this neighborhood is ok, that one is not"
it's everywhere. atlanta is so small that the troublesome people are close at hand. their famous quote is "crime can happen anywhere" yea, and in atlanta you will have a greater chance to experience it. yay!

i wish they would get this crime in order b/c there ARE some great things about this city. the restaurants are fantastic, design of houses and new construction are kept interesting and stylish while the older has charm. the (law abiding) citizens are extremely nice and friendly. great music acts come to town, there are wonderful arts and entertainment and nice parks and recreation.

i am so fearful of the crime that it has taken over my ability to enjoy any of the good things at this point. i'm out.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:21 AM

8 posts, read 38,832 times
chantal...just curious...what area of georgia do you live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta