Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2007, 06:36 AM

2 posts, read 12,190 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm planning on moving to Atlanta in January from Birmingham for my first job out of graduate school. My new office is located off Camp Creek Pkwy, about 5 minutes from the airport. I'm single, 25, and I am most likely going to live on my own. I'd like to live in an area close to work (I have to be there at 6:15 every morning), close to downtown for entertainment, but also relatively safe- I'll be walking a little pup by myself every night. Some friends have suggested that the Camp Creek area itself is growing by leaps and bounds. I've heard Grant Park or Vinings would be good options that are close to downtown and with lots of things to do. I've also heard bad things about these areas. Any suggestions? I just want a relatively easy commute and still live close enough to downtown to be able to experience it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 4,106 times
Hi. Vinings is a highly popular and trendy area, but fairly pricy. The Camp Creek area is growing and would probably be the easiest commute for you. Many airport people live in Peachtree City, which is South Atlanta. Not a bad commute, but you'd be away from the city.
If you'd like I can mail you a free relocation kit with demographics and information on Metro Atlanta and the communities that make up the city. Just send me your snail mail address and I'll get it right out to you in the mail. Also you can obtain demographics and additional information, and search all the homes listed for sale in Metro Atlanta at my website Magic Realtors Georgia Homes
Please keep me in mind when you are ready to buy a home. I'm an excellent negotiator, and you have plenty to choose from in the communities that make up Metro Atlanta.

Best wishes,

Jim Saltarella
Magic Realtors
Magic Realtors Georgia Homes
770-653-0756

Old 09-29-2007, 06:01 PM

160 posts, read 600,962 times
Depends on your lifestyle and what type of environment you're looking for....and then if you want to trade a commute for certain things. There are plenty of brand new
developments in the area around your job. You're still about 15-20 minutes to downtown.
I'm just a little older than you, but not single so the CC are appealed to me more at first because it's mostly African-American middle and upper middle class, families and well-off singles who seem to want to live in a big house all by themselves. (You can get more for your money in relation to other areas) You can't beat a 5 minute commute here. I'm sure as you continue to read you'll see the complaints about traffic.
Vinings is probably about 10 miles away on 285, drive that route around your off time and seehow it is, I'm not sure. It is waaaay more expensive, but close to buckhead and downtown. Townhouses I've seen could easily cost 500k. The area probably has more of a trendy singles scene with more restaurants and bars and unique shops rather than the chains in Camp Creek. I haven't been to the Vinings village are in years though, but that's how it was. Assuming you don't want to spend that much, Smyrna could be an alternative.
Grant Park...hmmmm I personally wouldn't recomend. I know you'll get some opposing points of view on this one so I can be blunt. I would not consider it safe. The area has gentrified but it was a very bad neighborhood and seems they still have crime. I wouldn't want to spend that kinda money to still be afraid. Of course crime is everywhere and you'll have to be careful just as you would in any major city.....but I guess I'm jaded from my old view of that area and the disappointment of some of those urban pioneers that are now experiencing property crimes b/c the surrounding neighborhoods haven't prospered as well.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:15 PM

2 posts, read 8,912 times
Eric Chafin Homebuilders. There is a great new community called "Parkway Villages" just off of Camp Creek Parkway. Website: Eric Chafin Home Builders Inc. Web Site. Great builder, great communities, QUALITY homes!

Old 10-01-2007, 11:30 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
If you're coming here with a graduate degree- Vinings area should be in your ballpark ($) There are alot of condos and townhouses in the area (less than ten years old) Close to I285 & I75. Downtown and Buckhead are a skip and a jump. Also, your commute to CC Pkwy is a snap- You are cross commuting. Morning traffic is north bound on that stretch of I285 and v/v in the afternoon.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:39 PM

180 posts, read 267,875 times
Vinings is about the same distance from Downtown as the Camp Creek area...so I would definitely recommend locating near work to avoid that twice-a-day drive. You can spend your extra free time enjoying the "scene" of Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,981 times
Smile Great

I just put a contract on a house in that subdivision and I had to come to terms with certain concepts.
I work downtown and I currently live in the Vinings. Love Vinings but to expensive to own for me. I moved here specifically to enjoy what Vinings has to offer while waiting to purchase a home.
I then realized shorlty after investigating Campcreek area and the North end of SouthFulton Parkway, where the subdivison is located, is really not far from downtown or Vinings. It took me 10 mins on a non conjested day to get from Paces Ferry exit to Parkway Preserves. And the downtown commute was a good joke. It was refreshing to know that Im not giving up much and I and still able to afford a great home. It's sized right just for me and enough room to grow. I got the sterling plan and it's going to comfort me in knowing this,seeing that before the Vinings I lived in midtown for 12 years, I thought I could not live with out the city but I can. I have and will have the best of both worlds.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:42 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Look into East Point and College Park.

-On MARTA Line
-Historic
-Emerging quaint downtowns and main streets
-Emerging "trendiness"

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta