Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 09:25 PM

8 posts, read 15,035 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Smyrna and really love it here. However we are zoned for Nickajack Elementary and are unsure about it. Based on test scores it is not that great of a school, but we have heard/read good things about it. But on the other hand no one on in my immediate area of Smyrna actually sends their kids there (that I am aware of) which makes me wary. I know test scores aren't everything when it comes to education, but why are Nickajack's scores so much lower than King Springs and Teasley when it appears that the demographics of the attendance zones of each of these schools is similar? Our kids are not yet in school and with the unexpected arrival of baby #3 this past spring we can likely no longer afford to go private as we were prepared to do with 2 kids if it was necessary and stay in the area. Anyone have first hand knowledge of Nickajack? Does it simply have disproportionately more apartments/transient students feeding into it where parents aren't as involved and that drags down the overall school scores? What is the sentiment on the expansion and it becoming a Mega-school? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 01:09 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiaroots80 View Post
We currently live in Smyrna and really love it here. However we are zoned for Nickajack Elementary and are unsure about it. Based on test scores it is not that great of a school, but we have heard/read good things about it. But on the other hand no one on in my immediate area of Smyrna actually sends their kids there (that I am aware of) which makes me wary. I know test scores aren't everything when it comes to education, but why are Nickajack's scores so much lower than King Springs and Teasley when it appears that the demographics of the attendance zones of each of these schools is similar? Our kids are not yet in school and with the unexpected arrival of baby #3 this past spring we can likely no longer afford to go private as we were prepared to do with 2 kids if it was necessary and stay in the area. Anyone have first hand knowledge of Nickajack? Does it simply have disproportionately more apartments/transient students feeding into it where parents aren't as involved and that drags down the overall school scores? What is the sentiment on the expansion and it becoming a Mega-school? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Nickajack is the school that Vinings Estates is zoned for. I don't think there are any apartments in the area.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:20 PM
fzx

399 posts, read 511,824 times
I know nothing about this paticular school but, by my observation, I feel people here have a pretty low criteria to call a school good and/or upcoming. Pay a visit to the school to see if you are comfortable with the environment, parents and scores.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:10 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
Hopefully aries4118 will chime in soon but Nickajack gets lots of postiive comments here at CD

Old 07-14-2012, 04:31 PM

276 posts, read 430,952 times
There are definitely apartments that feed into Nickajack. For example, the complexes on S Cobb Drive feed into it.

Good news is that they are currently expanding Nickajack although I do not know to what extent. The neighborhood dynamics are also shifting slightly as more higher price point single family houses are built in the south Cobb area.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:21 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperanita View Post
There are definitely apartments that feed into Nickajack. For example, the complexes on S Cobb Drive feed into it.

Good news is that they are currently expanding Nickajack although I do not know to what extent. The neighborhood dynamics are also shifting slightly as more higher price point single family houses are built in the south Cobb area.
This map shows the location of the various schools in Cobb.

What apartment complexes exist that far south on South Cobb? Or are you talking about some south of the E/W Connector?

Old 07-16-2012, 01:20 AM

276 posts, read 430,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
This map shows the location of the various schools in Cobb.

What apartment complexes exist that far south on South Cobb? Or are you talking about some south of the E/W Connector?
There are actually quite a number of apartment complexes on S Cobb Dr south of the EW Connector. I might get the names wrong, but Aspen Hills is a larger one. There is a former Post property, some Walton properties all before Cooper Lake (if you are coming from 285). Even the Gables complex on Atlanta Rd feeds into Nickajack. Tammaron and all the other Log Cabin Rd complexes feed into Nickajack too.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:58 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Hopefully aries4118 will chime in soon but Nickajack gets lots of postiive comments here at CD

Yes, Nickajack is a fine/great school--you should be honored with the opportunity to send your child(ren) there. OP--what are other details do you want that have not already been addressed?

Old 07-24-2012, 01:55 PM

8 posts, read 15,035 times
Just wanted thoughts on why if Nickajack is truly a great school, have the test scores not been increasing as seen with King Springs. And does anyone have experience with whether you are allowed to go observe classrooms at the public schools. I would like to do this before I make a decision.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:04 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
My daughter started Kindergarten at Nickajack and I'm happy with the level of professionalism and culture. She hasn't been in there long enough to give a real assessment. What boggles my mind is that test scores for 5th grade are so high, but why not the lower grades? Maybe Nickajack doesn't focus as much on test prep as other schools until 5th grade? Unfortunately, although testing shouldn't be the main focus of schools, some schools do focus more on it. It doesn't necessarily mean the children get the best education, just because they do well on a test. There are many other factors that come into play.

Yes, Nickajack has some low income neighborhoods. Most of the high-end neighborhoods - like the one I live in - were built in the last 10-15 years. Before then, the Nickajack area was pretty sparse, and mostly 60s/70s housing stock and apartments.

Kings Springs is a bit interesting lately in that it's actually among the highest test scores in the county, even beating Teasley. Perhaps Nickajack can learn from Kings Springs how they brought up test scores so much. I guess it doesn't hurt to play the game a little, even if test scores don't mean everything. I don't think it's about parental involvement, since Nickajack has high parental involvement and a strong PTA. It has to be something else.

P.S. Don't forget that Nickajack also has Woodland Brooke/Gate, Wetherbrooke, Gaylor St, Cooper Oaks, Carriage Ln, the new Oakdale developments and the new developments along Atlanta Rd and Log Cabin Drive in its district as well. These are all high-end neighborhoods.

Last edited by netdragon; 08-14-2012 at 10:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta