Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 10:45 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Empty condos, yes. Apartments, not so much. There are not many high-rise apartment complexes.

Many of the condo complexes have limitation on what percentage of the building can be rented. There may be owners that would love to rent their units out, but can't because the rental cap has been met.
Ah gotchya. Makes sense now. Why's there a rental cap? That doesn't make any sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 11:03 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,644 times
Man, I know Novare development is better than no development, but if they keep putting up that same building Midtown is going to start looking like the Soviet Union.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:31 PM

906 posts, read 1,746,612 times
Quote:
Empty condos, yes. Apartments, not so much. There are not many high-rise apartment complexes.

Many of the condo complexes have limitation on what percentage of the building can be rented. There may be owners that would love to rent their units out, but can't because the rental cap has been met.
Can someone provide evidence that there are lots of empty condos in Atlanta still? I keep hearing this on this forum, yet I keep seeing reports that condo inventory is dropping lower and lower intown.

Here's a Plaza Midtown update from this month, for example, which states that there are only 5 units currently for sale:

Midtown Atlanta Market Report | Plaza Midtown Atlanta May 2012

Especially after the Atlantic shifted from condo to apartments earlier this year, condo inventory has been drying up at a faster pace.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:04 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Ah gotchya. Makes sense now. Why's there a rental cap? That doesn't make any sense to me.
not a how-many-condos-can-be-occupied cap, but a rental cap— if all the units were rented it would essentially be an apartment building, except the individual owners would be doing the renting, meaning the building owners would lose money and the value of the condos would go down, affecting the owners of the condos.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:16 AM

749 posts, read 887,214 times
Quote:
Empty condos, yes. Apartments, not so much.
Actually, the inventory of condos in midtown has gone down consideraby. It seems that most purchases turn into a bidding war.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:19 AM

749 posts, read 887,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
Always good to see new buildings go up in Midtown. Now if they could just get the adjacent surface lot between 6th and 5th, that would be real nice

Old 07-14-2012, 07:32 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times
Yep, and even the condo market has picked up substantially with many units selling fast this year. Buildings are not empty, there might be a few empty units for sale but not like a few years ago -- the only buildings that stayed empty were brand new that couldnt sell and held out -- now those buildings are turning into apartments...for example - http://midtown.patch.com/articles/lo...eeking-tenants

Quote:

Old 07-14-2012, 07:34 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,831,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
Can someone provide evidence that there are lots of empty condos in Atlanta still? I keep hearing this on this forum, yet I keep seeing reports that condo inventory is dropping lower and lower intown.

Here's a Plaza Midtown update from this month, for example, which states that there are only 5 units currently for sale:

Especially after the Atlantic shifted from condo to apartments earlier this year, condo inventory has been drying up at a faster pace.
A blog run buy a guy who is an agent primarily selling condos in midtown has an interest in painting a picture that now is the time to buy, buy, buy. Maybe it is, I've really got no clue. Just because the inventory gap is finally beginning to narrow does not mean it's a healthy market.

I think a lot of that inventory finally hit prices where it was really attractive, after buildings were on their 2nd or 3rd developers because nobody could make a profit. I know two people that have lost condo lease renewals on condos in atanta because their landlord-owners couldn't get approval to lease the unit another year due to caps. I've heard there are multi-year waiting lists at a lot of buildings to rent out your unit. The Atlantic took 300+ never-occupied units off the market earlier this year, and decided to rent them instead. The rental market is so strong right now, condos included.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:20 AM

747 posts, read 1,544,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post

Thank you! I'm not saying it's time to throw up more condo towers just yet, but this perception that everything built in the last 5 years is just sitting empty simply isn't true.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:03 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
If development could move south, around SoNo, and east along juniper and piedmont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: