Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Atlanta Viewed as a Cool/Hip and Big City?
Yes, no doubt about it! 15 60.00%
No way 4 16.00%
I'm not sure, but I've heard things about the city 6 24.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 02:44 AM

14 posts, read 23,903 times

Advertisements

Okay, so how does the average person outside of Atlanta view the city? Even internationally would be great!

Do you see it as another version of Boston, Miami, Philadelphia, Seattle, Houston, and Dallas - or bigger, smaller?

How about the culture? Do you only view the city as a center for black people?

Let me summarize this for you, if you met a person who said they were from Atlanta, what would come to mind? "Whoa, nice city!" or "Small-town person."

Also, do you view it as "cool" or "hip", as in a place to be in 2012 and in the future?

Additionally, any outsiders heard of Emory University and/or Georgia Tech? Thoughts on it? Thoughts on a student attending that school - what would come to mind?

I would be really great to hear some responses. I would also be willing to return the favor and give an outsider's perspective/view of your city or state! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 06:45 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,020,143 times
Do a search. This thread has been done plenty of times

Old 07-18-2012, 06:53 AM

Didn't find anything even similar to it. I searched.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:55 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingClever23 View Post
Okay, so how does the average person outside of Atlanta view the city? Even internationally would be great!

Do you see it as another version of Boston, Miami, Philadelphia, Seattle, Houston, and Dallas - or bigger, smaller?

How about the culture? Do you only view the city as a center for black people?

Let me summarize this for you, if you met a person who said they were from Atlanta, what would come to mind? "Whoa, nice city!" or "Small-town person."

Also, do you view it as "cool" or "hip", as in a place to be in 2012 and in the future?

Additionally, any outsiders heard of Emory University and/or Georgia Tech? Thoughts on it? Thoughts on a student attending that school - what would come to mind?

I would be really great to hear some responses. I would also be willing to return the favor and give an outsider's perspective/view of your city or state! Thank you!
Do you think that Atlanta is a cool, hip, big city? If so, that's all that matters. Don't seek validation. Some will validate your outlook, some will not. It's obvious to me that a lot of people think that Atlanta is a cool place.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:22 AM

858 posts, read 1,385,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Don't seek validation.
Seriously. Who cares what outsiders think?

The South as a whole is one giant joke, dude. Ever seen Deliverance? You're in the wrong part of the country if you want strangers to admire you because of where you live.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:42 AM

54 posts, read 119,151 times
Lame responses.

I picture it as a pretty cool city, but maybe less so than a NYC, LA, Chicago type city. Emory strikes me as a rich kid smart school. Georgia Tech I had always pictured being more of a regular school that would have lots of gorgeous co-eds, but since I've started researching cities, I hear that's not the case.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
Seriously. Who cares what outsiders think?

The South as a whole is one giant joke, dude. Ever seen Deliverance? You're in the wrong part of the country if you want strangers to admire you because of where you live.
You live in Atlanta, and you're bashing it and the South for what reason?

Old 07-18-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Transplant? View Post
Lame responses.

I picture it as a pretty cool city, but maybe less so than a NYC, LA, Chicago type city. Emory strikes me as a rich kid smart school. Georgia Tech I had always pictured being more of a regular school that would have lots of gorgeous co-eds, but since I've started researching cities, I hear that's not the case.
Yes, some lame responses, haha. I do agree with not seeking validation, though. I just feel that the ATL is so underrated. And relating to GA Tech, some of the smartest kids around - #4 engineering school in the US. International students come from all over East and South Asia (South Korea, China, and India) for their amazing math/science/engineering program. Thanks for your response.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:15 PM

418 posts, read 906,554 times
Quote:
International students come from all over East and South Asia (South Korea, China, and India) for their amazing math/science/engineering program.
And to top it off, they get to experience a genuine American welcome from our locals..."give me your wallet/purse, iPad, phone, and I'll drive you over to the ATM for a good time".

Old 07-18-2012, 02:20 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,309 times
Quote:
You live in Atlanta, and you're bashing it and the South for what reason?
I'm not bashing the South. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I don't have any illusions about its image though.

If you ask me, Atlanta can stay "underrated" for as long as it wants. I'm quite happy that we don't have legions of hipsters flocking here to improve their self-image and looking for things that don't exist. That's how cities transcend reality and become more of a fashion statement than a place to live.

Honestly I think one of the best things about the South is that everyone hates it but no one here cares
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: