Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 07:56 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal93 View Post
That will be the quarry park on the westside! More a pond than a lake, but...still bigger than Clara Meer.
But really really deep! Atlanta will have to buy a submarine to pull up the bodies from its bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 07:58 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
Thank you for bringing logic to the thread. Again we have a bunch of insecure locals with pretentious and biased assumptions on how the rest of the world sees or will see them when the rest of the world pays Atlanta no mind. Believe me, take it from someone who has resided in 4 different continents and interacts with a very internationally diverse clientele: Atlanta is not of any remarkable international significance. Atlanta does not and is not known or mentioned in any international setting. As any generational, educated or uneducated European, Asian or Latin American to cite cities in the U.S. and none of them will mention Atlanta. Sorry, folks, I am not saying it will never happen but Atlanta is far from the international recognition that so many of its residents want to believe.
Way to peruse 9 pages and pluck out a single month-old post that supports your negative opinion of Atlanta! Impressive!

Old 08-23-2012, 08:54 PM

439 posts, read 852,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Way to peruse 9 pages and pluck out a single month-old post that supports your negative opinion of Atlanta! Impressive!

Way to do the same and stalk someone who does not agree with you. Unimpressive...

Old 08-24-2012, 03:50 AM

139 posts, read 207,785 times
Quote:
Thank you for bringing logic to the thread. Again we have a bunch of insecure locals with pretentious and biased assumptions of how the rest of the world sees or will see them when the rest of the world pays Atlanta no attention, really. Believe me, take it from someone who has resided in 4 continents and interacts with a very internationally diverse clientele: Atlanta is not of any remarkable international significance. Atlanta does not and is not known or mentioned in any international setting. As it was mentioned above: no one cares where Coke is made, no one cares for American local history or civil rights (MLK) and much less for the American Civil War. Ask any generational, educated or uneducated European, Asian or Latin American to cite cities in the U.S. and none of them will mention Atlanta. Sorry, folks, I am not saying it will never happen but Atlanta is far from the international recognition that so many of its residents want to believe it has.
You hit the nail on the head here, Alinka. As an ex-pat Brit myself, most Europeans have absolutely no idea where Atlanta is. And they don't care to. It's just not on the radar when there are hundreds upon hundreds of cities worldwide with far more cultural significance than Atlanta. I really don't know who imbued its residents with all these delusions of grandeur and self-importance. The American cities of significance for international visitors are: New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington DC, Chicago, and Boston and then Miami and Las Vegas for their nightlife.

I mean really, people brag about the airport and CNN on this forum. Travelers to London consider Heathrow or Gatwick as arrival/destination points, not the focal point of the whole visit. I don't recall hearing of any visitors to London ever clamouring to see the BBC's offices, unless they were journalists on appointment. There is just so much more to do and see in London, New York, Shanghai, Mumbai, Berlin, Rome, Paris, etc., than to marvel at news service headquarters.

Speaking of airports, you can get a sense of a city by looking at the passengers therein. In Atlanta's domestic terminals you can just look at the people and know you're in the heart of the American South. It's just hilarious to notice the overweight zombies milling about and eating at McDonalds. Can other Americans notice the difference as well?

Old 08-24-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Of Deen View Post
You hit the nail on the head here, Alinka. As an ex-pat Brit myself, most Europeans have absolutely no idea where Atlanta is. And they don't care to. It's just not on the radar when there are hundreds upon hundreds of cities worldwide with far more cultural significance than Atlanta. I really don't know who imbued its residents with all these delusions of grandeur and self-importance. The American cities of significance for international visitors are: New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington DC, Chicago, and Boston and then Miami and Las Vegas for their nightlife.

I mean really, people brag about the airport and CNN on this forum. Travelers to London consider Heathrow or Gatwick as arrival/destination points, not the focal point of the whole visit. I don't recall hearing of any visitors to London ever clamouring to see the BBC's offices, unless they were journalists on appointment. There is just so much more to do and see in London, New York, Shanghai, Mumbai, Berlin, Rome, Paris, etc., than to marvel at news service headquarters.

Speaking of airports, you can get a sense of a city by looking at the passengers therein. In Atlanta's domestic terminals you can just look at the people and know you're in the heart of the American South. It's just hilarious to notice the overweight zombies milling about and eating at McDonalds. Can other Americans notice the difference as well?
Condescension is very unattractive.

So these Europeans you speak of know nothing of Atlanta, yet they know that it isn't culturally significant? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Apparently your experience is not universal. When I lived in Europe, no one ever looked puzzled when I told them I was from Atlanta. They automatically recognized the city and knew certain things about it. Maybe you and I just met different classes of people because Atlanta certainly WAS on the radar of every single person I ran across. Anyway, when did ignorance of geography and/or major cities become a source of pride?

You are very misinformed if you think that a CNN tour is the top-rated activity in Atlanta. CNN is a global media company and very recognizable, but it's far from the most exciting attraction in the city. Rather than get on an internet forum and rave about how much there ISN'T to do in a city you're obviously not familiar with, you could educate yourself on what there IS.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 08-24-2012 at 08:27 AM..

Old 08-24-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Way to do the same and stalk someone who does not agree with you. Unimpressive...
Stalk? You're funny...I don't think I have ever responded to one of your posts, but if I have it obviously wasn't memorable for me.

If you don't want people to disagree with you then I recommend that you not post such ridiculous and offensive remarks. It's apparent that you are trying to get a rise out of people, so don't act indignant when you get one. The whole charade is awfully immature.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 08-24-2012 at 09:19 AM..

Old 08-24-2012, 10:47 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
ATL is a huge hub. It's ridiculous to think that everyone there is from the South, for starters.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:56 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I know, right? Tres pathetique.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:00 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Wow, these folks that think people worldwide wouldn't know anything about Atlanta are kidding themselves. These things are not necessarily cultural - but on name recognition alone

1996 Olympics
The hub of one the world's largest international airlines
Coca-Cola

You think all the youth world wide that listen to rap (which is a large portion if not majority) have never heard of Atlanta? Honestly, its not what I want Atlanta to be known for, but to say people worldwide have never heard of this city are crazy.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:31 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,239 times
Quote:
Thank you for bringing logic to the thread. Again we have a bunch of insecure locals with pretentious and biased assumptions of how the rest of the world sees or will see them when the rest of the world pays Atlanta no attention, really. Believe me, take it from someone who has resided in 4 continents and interacts with a very internationally diverse clientele: Atlanta is not of any remarkable international significance. Atlanta does not and is not known or mentioned in any international setting. As it was mentioned above: no one cares where Coke is made, no one cares for American local history or civil rights (MLK) and much less for the American Civil War. Ask any generational, educated or uneducated European, Asian or Latin American to cite cities in the U.S. and none of them will mention Atlanta. Sorry, folks, I am not saying it will never happen but Atlanta is far from the international recognition that so many of its residents want to believe it has.
A bunch of insecure locals? Dont take the rants of a few people on here to be the baseline of the whole city. I for one could not care less that Atlanta . I am well aware that Atlanta is not NYC or London, and trust me when I say that I dont lose any sleep over it. Atlanta is small enough where it is not in the same class as those cities, but it is big enough to where most of us won't be impressed with people from those cities. You think that because you decide to come here for whatever reason and bless us with your presence that we are supposed to bow down and kiss the ring? Not even close, go try that one somewhere else. I love Atlanta for what it is, you think we are insecure and I think that you area insecure too......Just another insecure out of towner looking for someone to re-affirm what they lack personally inside so that have let where they are from or have been do it for them. You're not cool, street smart, or more cosmo just because you're from NY, London, Berlin, LA or where ever. The only people impressed with that are people who have never been anywhere. Anywhere I go and people ask me where I'm from I say Atlanta with pride. I know my city and what it is about. Dont really care what anyone else thinks.

Quote:

LOL...yeah, Mcdonalds is the only spot to eat at in Hartsfield. And you say we are all fat in the south, well what if I said all Brits are a bunch of nancy pants who even though a city like London is way bigger than Atlanta, probably couldn't cut it in an urban area in Atlanta. The goons here do more than just pick pockets and carry switch blades. The same way you don't respect us, we don't respect you. That is two way street, trust that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta