Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 01:55 AM

80 posts, read 132,750 times

Advertisements

Specifically near Dekalb Ave and close to Candler Park station. I currently live in a pretty crappy neighborhood in Sacramento, so not really unfamiliar with drug deals going down outside my home and midnight cop/ambulance stop-overs. Obviously that's not what I'm looking for, just giving some basis for what I am coming from. Looking to put a deposit on a place soon; if you need the address feel free to message me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 02:11 PM

504 posts, read 1,545,972 times
Candler Park is one of the nicer neighborhoods in Atlanta. It's located just North of DeKalb Ave. If its just South, it's Edgewood. You can find more specific info by doing a search for either of those. Do you already have a job lined up?

Old 07-22-2012, 03:19 PM

The property is immediately south of Dekalb Avenue. It is not in Candler Park. Crimemapping doesn't show much activity in the region (or reported activity I suppose), but things start to pick up around Memorial Dr. Forum posts seem as schizophrenic as the so-called character of the neighborhood; some say its ok, others say seek elsewhere. Of course a few of the specific posts about the actual area the property is in are a bit dated; as are Google Images.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:55 PM

Yep, I think Crime Mapping only covers DeKalb County. You'll want a Fulton County specific map because most of Atlanta is located within Fulton. Try this one: http://spotcrime.com/ga/atlanta

I'll agree that a lot of intown metro neighborhoods are hard to gauge. Some neighborhoods are literally almost block by block on how good or crummy they are. You can have neighborhoods with $30k houses that are only a 4 lane dividing highway away from $500k houses. The other thing is that some of these intown neighborhoods were gentrified only within the last 20 - 30 years. The recent economic downturn didn't help things. There are a lot worse neighborhoods than Edgewood though. It's really mostly up to the individual to decide what their comfort level is. I know some people that are afraid to drive through certain neighborhoods that I wouldn't have a problem walking through alone at 3 in the morning. I've lived mostly in unincorporated Decatur (not to be confused with the very nice "City of Decatur" - 30030 which I've lived in too). I do work in downtown Atlanta, so I've spent a lot of time in those eastern Fulton neighborhoods. Have you been to Atlanta before? I'd say the best thing may be to check it out in person before signing up for a year. Me personally, I wouldn't have any problems living in Edgewood. I asked if you have a job lined up already because the commute can suck depending on which way you're heading and how far (think LA style gridlock).

Good luck whatever you choose to do!

Old 07-22-2012, 04:03 PM

I've negotiated a deal with the landlord, so I wont really be "stuck" here if its just too much to bear. I doubt it will be, but just wanted to get some more info. I am pretty much just looking for a spot for the year to get a feel for the city (and what I want do not want in a more long term solution).

I am a graduate student so MARTA Rail/Cliff Shuttle and some light biking is what I will be using. I have given up trying to find any objective opinions about MARTA non-rail service. Unfortunately this lack of reliable info has influenced where I am comfortable living, but - again - a year should be enough to allow me to suss out what is fact/fiction.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:08 PM

100 posts, read 142,691 times
I agree, you'll be fine in Edgewood (Edgewood and Candler Park are in Dekalb county, not Fulton). You'll have easy access to MARTA and if your job is down town it's a straight drive down Dekalb Ave all the way there.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:28 PM

I think you'll be just fine when you get here. Most of the crime are break-ins and property crime (meaning don't leave anything outside your house/apt nor visible in a car that you don't want taken). I've mostly ridden MARTA rail, so I can't totally vouch for the buses. Most people I know that use the buses, mainly complain about how long it can take to get anywhere (depending where you are of course). The buses are at the mercy of traffic like all other vehicles. But Georgia State is really close to Edgewood as well as Emory (I'm just guessing at nearby large colleges you may be going to). The rail is ok except for the occassional drunk, schitzo, jesus freak preaching at you. You'll find that on most any public transport in other cities too though. My wife use to ride the rail by herself all the time and never had any problem.

There are a large amount of bicyclers that use DeKalb Avenue all the time. I'd be careful though biking on that specific road. It's a main East / West artery for rush hour traffic. Some people seem fine biking down it every day though. It has a reversible car lane in the middle. Someone else may chime in to give you better info on biking in that area. I work with a few people that MARTA in to work and then jog a few miles back home. Not sure if thats your cup of tea though. It probably won't be until tomorrow for others to reply, as most people probably aren't on C-D right now.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyjo View Post
I agree, you'll be fine in Edgewood (Edgewood and Candler Park are in Dekalb county, not Fulton). You'll have easy access to MARTA and if your job is down town it's a straight drive down Dekalb Ave all the way there.
Oops sorry! I always forget where the dividing line is located. Some of Atlanta's neighborhoods do jut into DeKalb Co. Thanks for the correction kittyjo.

Not sure why the recent crime statistics don't show up for you for those neighborhoods on the crimemapping web site?

Old 07-22-2012, 07:23 PM

262 posts, read 637,669 times
I have heard that Dekalb is behind on updating the crimemapping tool. There was an article about that on Patch. However, wouldn't Edgewood be covered by the Atlanta Police Department?

Without knowing a specific street, I'm pretty certain I would be comfortable in that area. An older woman from my church lived a block or two from MARTA on the Edgewood side for decades and never had any problems. I drive through the area frequently.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:38 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
I walk/bike through edgewood north of hosea all the time with no problems. MARTA is very convenient to that neighborhood. Shopping is close with the edgewood retail district on moreland ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta