Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 11:07 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,535,531 times

Advertisements

This thread is a good read eating over chick-fil-a...I like dipping my fries in the polynesian sauce.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:11 AM

74 posts, read 91,178 times
[quote=K-SawDude;25445329]The conservative Christian spin is just mind-boggling, really.

Who else could make a national corporation seem like a poor defenseless victim? It's a relatively small minority of us who have changed our purchasing habits so as not to patronize Chick-fil-a any longer. And is that perfectly legal and market-based behavior acknowledged as valid by the much larger majority of heterosexual conservative Christians? Nope. On the contrary, one's choosing not to patronize Chick-fil-A is presented as somehow disrespecting free speech or some other such silly notion.

I do think Chick-fil-a supporters are deluding themselves if they think this recent stuff hasn't hurt their brand in the long run, though. They ALREADY had high support from Christians. Showing up all on the same "Appreciation" day is good for a temporary headline, but it doesn't suggest a higher long term commitment than what already existed before today.

On the other side, many folks have decided to opt out as customers long term. Universities around the country are seeing petitions to kick Chick-fil-a off of their campuses. Several major cities have suggested that future Chick-fil-a's won't be allowed until they stop supporting anti-gay policy advocacy.[/quote]

and let me guess, you support this WILDLY unconstituional practice because you side with these left wing Mayors. Just wait until someone wants to ban something you support and we will see where you fall on this issue.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:12 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernassassin View Post
and let me guess, you support this WILDLY unconstituional practice because you side with these left wing Mayors. Just wait until someone wants to ban something you support and we will see where you fall on this issue.
For the record, I don't support that and the ACLU (certainly a pro-gay institution) has come out against that recently as well.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:17 AM

105 posts, read 202,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
The amount of intolerance and ignorance in this thread is truly sickening.

I guess some of it is probably because some people aren't close to any gay people. And maybe that's just by chance.

I wasn't born super gay tolerant. It was kind of forced upon me. 20 years ago when we were freshmen in college, my best friend all throughout high school confided in me and told me he was gay. I was a normal early 90s 18 year old, you know, you'd joke with your friends and call things gay, and lame people you'd call ****, and so on. I never really stopped to think if I thought gay people were going to hell or not, but that was the popular theory around Alabama.

So when he told me that, I had to figure out whether I was going to let this affect our friendship. I decided that it wouldn't. As he came out, he annoyed me a little bit going through a bit of that "i'm *****, i'm here!" pushing it in your face stage, but I think that's a natural part of the process for some people, at least it used to be 20 years ago. I always liked electronic music, and he started letting me into his gay world and I started going to gay clubs as they were the only place to hear good dance music in Birmingham, Alabama. It really opened my eyes and I saw what a huge cross-section of the population homosexuality covered. From that super effeminate hairdresser to the guy who just fixed your roof who you'd never guess in a million years was gay, and that nice handsome cardiac surgeon who just saved your mother's life. Gay people are literally everywhere.

Over time, some more of my friends came out, and it just became no big deal at all. I will say that from what I have seen, gay relationships tend to be slightly less monogamous than heterosexual ones, but I attribute that to availability. I think more heterosexual men would cheat if it was super easy to do, but wooing a girl and finally bedding her is a long process. Gay people can literally go out and find a sex partner in a few minutes if they know how to look, so that availability makes having multiple partners easier. But I don't think it's a character flaw, you're just talking about two men, and it's much easier to find a male willing to have sex than a female.

I have met literally hundreds of gay people over the years. I find them to be just as caring, loving, and moral as heterosexuals. Maybe even a little bit moreso because they tend to be more in touch with their emotions and they also tend to be more educated and more tolerant than the general population.

You can call me crazy, but I honestly think gay people actually make the world a better place. With their hospitality, their art, culture....I mean, you wouldn't believe how much art and culture is because of gay people that you have no idea is. So much of Hollywood is gay, so many great artists have been gay, the gay people have contributed so much to the world we live in. And we all know what they do for real estate prices! Not only should gay people have every right because they are human, we owe them a debt for all the things they have done to make the world better for everyone. That's been my experience.
Thank you for taking the time to write this.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:22 AM

322 posts, read 465,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post
I don't think I used the word choice, I just said that most homosexuals aren't born that way IMO. It's through influence and it's a mentality mostly IMO
Actually, by definition, you are saying it's a choice. You just don't realize it. Despite not wanting to bring up a cliche, but did you choose to be straight? And, now think about this, could you be influenced to be gay?

Old 08-02-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
This thread really showed some posters true colors and the general consensus of Georgia. It's no wonder people think it is backwards around here.
As the old saying goes, dont like it here "Delta is ready when you are".

Old 08-02-2012, 11:29 AM

322 posts, read 465,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernassassin View Post
As the old saying goes, dont like it here "Delta is ready when you are".
No, you are slowly but surely being out numbered and you will have no where to go here. Maybe you should just hop in your truck and drive yourself on to Uganda - I suspect you will not understand the meaning of that though.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:31 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
This thread is a good read eating over chick-fil-a...I like dipping my fries in the polynesian sauce.
FYI: Nobody is offended by you constantly boasting about being at Chickfila.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:33 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
The amount of intolerance and ignorance in this thread is truly sickening.

I guess some of it is probably because some people aren't close to any gay people. And maybe that's just by chance.

I wasn't born super gay tolerant. It was kind of forced upon me. 20 years ago when we were freshmen in college, my best friend all throughout high school confided in me and told me he was gay. I was a normal early 90s 18 year old, you know, you'd joke with your friends and call things gay, and lame people you'd call ****, and so on. I never really stopped to think if I thought gay people were going to hell or not, but that was the popular theory around Alabama.

So when he told me that, I had to figure out whether I was going to let this affect our friendship. I decided that it wouldn't. As he came out, he annoyed me a little bit going through a bit of that "i'm *****, i'm here!" pushing it in your face stage, but I think that's a natural part of the process for some people, at least it used to be 20 years ago. I always liked electronic music, and he started letting me into his gay world and I started going to gay clubs as they were the only place to hear good dance music in Birmingham, Alabama. It really opened my eyes and I saw what a huge cross-section of the population homosexuality covered. From that super effeminate hairdresser to the guy who just fixed your roof who you'd never guess in a million years was gay, and that nice handsome cardiac surgeon who just saved your mother's life. Gay people are literally everywhere.

Over time, some more of my friends came out, and it just became no big deal at all. I will say that from what I have seen, gay relationships tend to be slightly less monogamous than heterosexual ones, but I attribute that to availability. I think more heterosexual men would cheat if it was super easy to do, but wooing a girl and finally bedding her is a long process. Gay people can literally go out and find a sex partner in a few minutes if they know how to look, so that availability makes having multiple partners easier. But I don't think it's a character flaw, you're just talking about two men, and it's much easier to find a male willing to have sex than a female.

I have met literally hundreds of gay people over the years. I find them to be just as caring, loving, and moral as heterosexuals. Maybe even a little bit moreso because they tend to be more in touch with their emotions and they also tend to be more educated and more tolerant than the general population.

You can call me crazy, but I honestly think gay people actually make the world a better place. With their hospitality, their art, culture....I mean, you wouldn't believe how much art and culture is because of gay people that you have no idea is. So much of Hollywood is gay, so many great artists have been gay, the gay people have contributed so much to the world we live in. And we all know what they do for real estate prices! Not only should gay people have every right because they are human, we owe them a debt for all the things they have done to make the world better for everyone. That's been my experience.
Bravo! And no, I'm not gay. Very well said.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeJr View Post
No, you are slowly but surely being out numbered and you will have no where to go here. Maybe you should just hop in your truck and drive yourself on to Uganda - I suspect you will not understand the meaning of that though.
Do any of you "toleranance" types actually practice what you preach?? I could make blank, baseless stereotypes on you like you just tried to pull out on me but since I dont own a truck and am not caught up in my own self righteousness I will pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta