Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 12:17 PM

35 posts, read 43,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Gallery | Atlanta Photos | Back to School | ajc.com
The Edgewood, Kirkwood, and East Lake communities have worked hard to improve the image of Coan Middle School. Now Coan has a top-notch principal that lead Mary Lin Elementary School's resurrection. This type of half-a** news coverage is the reason why many people are leaving newspapers and finding news soruces online. Shame on AJC for being so biased.

Clearly the folks in those neighborhoods expect top notch schools. And it seems like they are getting them. I know of a elm school where after someone, not a pupil, was shot, they stationed armed guards around the school for a period of time.

This is an example of how quickly that school helped the taxpayers get their money's worth. My friend who bought a 400k house in that area could certainly have security that should an armed conflict again take place at that school, the situation would be resolved quickly. I do think though that they moved and rented that house after it was worth around 150k. Odd place, that Atlanta city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 12:17 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,885,403 times
Quote:
This is just Atlanta schools being ahead of the curve. A big part of the reason folks spend big money to live in the city is for these types of school systems. The picture shows those schools are spending education dollars where it matters; on pupil safety. The other systems are obviously not spending in that same area.
Oh crap, they are gonna eat you alive for that statement.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:35 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,275,736 times
Explain what you mean with the remarks about people turning to the Internet for their news because of lack of jouranlism?

I wouldn't read the print edition regardless (only good with the coffee on weekends) so I, along with everyone else here clicking on that provided link, accessed the same article via their website, as opposed to print. I realize this isn't related to the "bias" claims - but I'm not seeing the "getting the news from the Internet" relevance. What website are you using to get your Atlanta news?

Old 08-07-2012, 12:46 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,067,750 times
So a school that doesn't have security issues and is able to funnel more money into actual education is somehow at a disadvantage from schools that have to take money away from actual learning so they can pay for security....

Hmmm, interesting perspective.

Maybe it will help you sell your house someday. Doubtful, but you can always try it.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:47 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,305,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It was the editors that decided which photos get published.
AJC has been very dergatory towards the city ever since they moved to Dunwoody. They chose to send a photographer to Coan precisely so they could get shots of the metal detectors. They could have sent the photographer to any number of other schools in the city that don't have metal detectors.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:50 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,885,403 times
Quote:
AJC has been very dergatory towards the city ever since they moved to Dunwoody. They chose to send a photographer to Coan precisely so they could get shots of the metal detectors. They could have sent the photographer to any number of other schools in the city that don't have metal detectors.
Well actually Inman and Grady, some of the best schools in APS also screen their kids.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:11 PM

35 posts, read 43,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
So a school that doesn't have security issues and is able to funnel more money into actual education is somehow at a disadvantage from schools that have to take money away from actual learning so they can pay for security....

Hmmm, interesting perspective.

Maybe it will help you sell your house someday. Doubtful, but you can always try it.

But there are also amenities to consider when you sell a home, like bike lanes, sidewalks, easy transit and footpaths.

For example, just south of the neighborhood mentioned by me above, is a new Kroger. It's very busy and vibrant. Some people even "hang out" there in the parking lot after partaking in it's offerings, such as lottery tickets and mixed drinks.

It's simple pleasures like these that attract a unique buyer to Atlanta city. Add in the schools and it's no wonder why so many are choosing to live in town. Atlanta posted a .08% population gain for the last decade. You can't get that kind of (almost a whole )number unless you are doing something right.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:35 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,067,750 times
My house is districted for a middle school that has metal detectors, but I'm close to a Kroger where people hang out in the parking lot after drinking and gambling there.

I'm glad I'm not your listing agent.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:47 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,396,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofjwp View Post
This is just Atlanta schools being ahead of the curve. A big part of the reason folks spend big money to live in the city is for these types of school systems. The picture shows those schools are spending education dollars where it matters; on pupil safety. The other systems are obviously not spending in that same area.
I'm detecting some sarcasm in your posts. Hopefully I'm right- otherwise that's pretty pathetic thinking......

Old 08-07-2012, 07:49 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,692,412 times
I do not see anything wrong with metal detectors in public schools. I believe all APS middle and high schools have metal detectors? Are cell phones not allowed in all APS?

I would send my child to an APS any day over Cobb, Forsyth, or Gwinnett.

According to so many people Coan is ghetto but, those students did not look ghetto in my opinion.

The photo gallery seems a bit racist in my opinion. And by the way I do not believe the Trayvon Martin shooting was racist.(so I am not one to call racism around)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta