Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 03:36 PM

16,703 posts, read 29,537,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
You might well be wasting your words and time with some folks.

That's why the conservative mindset to me will always represent nothing more than complete bullcrap. If a county is willing to try to pay its own way for transit and it doesn't require monies from other counties, should that not be applauded?

And yet, there are still folks who are obsessed over finding something...anything...to gripe about with the 3 inner core counties of Dekalb, Fulton, and Clayton and it's citizens. Some folks simply find happiness in the misery and precarious plights of others, I guess.

Just chalk that one up to one of the finer points of Southern Conservatism 101.
Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 03:41 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
You might well be wasting your words and time with some folks.

That's why the conservative mindset to me will always represent nothing more than complete bullcrap. If a county is willing to try to pay its own way for transit and it doesn't require monies from other counties, should that not be applauded?

And yet, there are still folks who are obsessed over finding something...anything...to gripe about with the 3 inner core counties of Dekalb, Fulton, and Clayton and it's citizens. Some folks simply find happiness in the misery and precarious plights of others, I guess.

Just chalk that one up to one of the finer points of Southern Conservatism 101.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:20 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,546,425 times
That one person who commented from Morrow made himself look especially ignorant. I can't believe he posted his name.

"I don't think we should have to subsidize someone elses transportation."

So then sir, how do you feel about 97% Of Americas roads, especially the interstate system? That is billions of dollars, perhaps in the hundreds of billions, in subsidizing using mine and your money...and yet we still can't get the necessary work done.

Obviously roads haven't been our salvation...

Old 08-20-2012, 06:04 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,460 times
Probably some babyboom/emptynest holdover who didn't take flight like lot of his peers did during the 1990s.

Usually those types have a tendency to crap on any taxes & government in general as soon as their kids are all grown up and don't have to go to public school. Especially when the demographics of the majority political leadership of the city or county is vastly different from what the emptynesters are used to.

I just don't care for that type of attitude. It's that "I made it across the bridge so now I'll burn it so that no one else can do the same" type of mindset. Why is that thought process so prevalent among the empty nesters of a certain demographic?

It does nothing to help the future, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
That one person who commented from Morrow made himself look especially ignorant. I can't believe he posted his name.

"I don't think we should have to subsidize someone elses transportation."

So then sir, how do you feel about 97% Of Americas roads, especially the interstate system? That is billions of dollars, perhaps in the hundreds of billions, in subsidizing using mine and your money...and yet we still can't get the necessary work done.

Obviously roads haven't been our salvation...

Old 08-20-2012, 08:07 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,352,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Many of those people do want to work, if just they they can't find work that they can travel to or have rides. Not everybody can or wants to own a car. You need to quit assuming that the residents of Clayton County want to collect checks, many of them do want to work. If you have never been in that position, which by the way you post you have never been, then you would not know what its like!
I haven't been in that position because I haven't put myself in that position.

Hey look! No jobs here. Perhaps I should gather up and move to where there are jobs. Oh wait... that would take effort and a sense of personal responsibility. removed - language

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 08-21-2012 at 09:23 PM..

Old 08-20-2012, 11:04 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,546,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
I haven't been in that position because I haven't put myself in that position.

Hey look! No jobs here. Perhaps I should gather up and move to where there are jobs. Oh wait... that would take effort and a sense of personal responsibility. removed.
Yes, because everyone can afford to just pick up shop and move somewhere without a job in order to find one, right? Because they're all going to magically just get a car, gas, insurance, all taxes/registration paid, rent, food, utilities, and all of that taken care of them in order for them to move somewhere else where there is a job...is that what you're saying? If not, then please explain how people without an alternative way of getting around and with little money and no job is supposed to move somewhere even within the same general city to find a job?

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 08-21-2012 at 09:24 PM..

Old 08-21-2012, 02:56 AM

236 posts, read 698,886 times
Quote:
Yes, because everyone can afford to just pick up shop and move somewhere without a job in order to find one, right? Because they're all going to magically just get a car, gas, insurance, all taxes/registration paid, rent, food, utilities, and all of that taken care of them in order for them to move somewhere else where there is a job...is that what you're saying? If not, then please explain how people without an alternative way of getting around and with little money and no job is supposed to move somewhere even within the same general city to find a job?
I think the point is that they can't afford not to move...people start over all the time with the clothes on their backs. It takes that sense of personal responsibility and a healthy dose of self respect to better yourself. Staying put to wallow in govt assistance doesn't sound like much of an existence to me.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:47 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Oh corndog your a joke. Sometimes bad things happen to good people. Think if a tornado or some natural disaster took everything of yours and your insurance company just dropped you, then you'd be SOL. You didn't put yourself there but ish happens. Those are fellow human beings that are suffering because they are scrapping by and don't have access to good jobs and can't afford a car or can't drive, disabled. You agree with commuter rail ,;so why not let citizens of another county vote to tax themselves for reliable transit?

Old 08-21-2012, 07:08 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,352,438 times
Quote:
Pull this string and you'll find a whole lot of poor life choices that got them to a position where they don't even have a few hundred bucks to move 20 miles into the city. It is never one bad thing that happened but a series of awful decisions of one's own doing that led to these situations. Save a few dollars in good times and this doesn't happen. Is that hard to do? Heck, if they are that poor, it isn't like they need a 30 foot moving truck to haul there stuff around so the expense should be minimal.

Oh wait... we need to sympathize, feel bad for and help people who don't even help themselves with basic common sense actions. This sort of "its no ones fault" mentality keeps pushing us closer to a bleeding-heart nanny-state where no one is responsible for their own crappy situation. Pathetic that so many buy into this.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:27 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
Oh wait... we need to sympathize, feel bad for and help people who don't even help themselves with basic common sense actions. This sort of "its no ones fault" mentality keeps pushing us closer to a bleeding-heart nanny-state where no one is responsible for their own crappy situation. Pathetic that so many buy into this.
That's not what it is. the #1 reason for poverty is no access to jobs= Clayton County. If we allow the citizens of Clayton County to vote for the MARTA sales tax then they can get access to transit and get to work or classes at Clayton State and get better jobs to move. Don't worry corndog, you won't have to pay the sales tax and you get to keep driving your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta