Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 11:48 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I know its not true, but there are some people who believe that. I mean can you imagine someone stealing a 50" TV and trying to get on MARTA?
I would never underestimate the power of irrational fears, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 11:53 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
I know its not true, but there are some people who believe that. I mean can you imagine someone stealing a 50" TV and trying to get on MARTA?
You had me scared. I'm sure someone would contact MARTA police and the stations are covered in cameras. Soon all train cars an buses will have cameras too.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:56 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,040,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I don't think the above scenario was ever the issue for some people, but moreso that public transit makes an area available to lower-income people...which often brings a criminal element along with it. I think that, over the years, the majority of people have realized that these fears were not realistic.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:51 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I hope your being sarcastic? That is totally false, as the guy who robbed the Marathon gas station and was shot on I-75 yesterday, didn't take MARTA to Woodstock.
Go read the Rockdale Citizen, my hometown news paper. Every time MARTA is brought up, the same arguments come crashing down, the main one is crime (and the main instigator is usually a person with the handle of "Elmo"). I've been fighting a basically lone battle against the anti-transit people in my county for a year now, but sometimes it feels like I'm talking to a brick wall.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Go read the Rockdale Citizen, my hometown news paper. Every time MARTA is brought up, the same arguments come crashing down, the main one is crime (and the main instigator is usually a person with the handle of "Elmo"). I've been fighting a basically lone battle against the anti-transit people in my county for a year now, but sometimes it feels like I'm talking to a brick wall.
Elmo scared of black people! (in Elmo voice)
Rockdale could benefit greatly from Commuter Rail.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:45 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,241,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I don't think the above scenario was ever the issue for some people, but moreso that public transit makes an area available to lower-income people...which often brings a criminal element along with it. I think that, over the years, the majority of people have realized that these fears were not realistic.
These fears are not unfounded. I see truth to the idea that MARTA could make the area significantly more appealing to lower income folks and the effects would not be positive. Now, that is not going to happen everywhere you put a MARTA station by any means, but in the right setting, it could easily bring the area down.

One scenario coming to mind, in some crazy world where MARTA rail was expanded down through Clayton County and straight into Fayetteville, that would not be a positive for the city. Right now, housing prices are down, there are tons and tons of vacant commercial buildings, but things are relatively all right for the city. Now, if there suddenly was a car free lifestyle was offered, it would make the area much more appealing for lower income folks. This would have a domino effect in the city. Current residents of the more "intown" neighborhoods would move out due to their new section 8 neighbors. Schools would eventually, probably quickly, have a negative reputation. This would bring housing prices down further across the county.

Yes it is a crazy fear mongering scenario. It will never happen in the next 100 years. But I guess I am trying to make a point that it could easily happen in some locations. I will argue that in many situations, the addition of MARTA would be a positive to their city. Mainly coming to mind is North Fulton and west midtown.

Commuter rail, btw, does not validate these fears due to the fact in most situations, it can only be used by people who are going to work in the city, and coming home to the suburbs at night. Most lines will likely be one way and very limited hours. Therefore, not really helpful to those without a car.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
These fears are not unfounded. I see truth to the idea that MARTA could make the area significantly more appealing to lower income folks and the effects would not be positive.
Yes, because that's exactly what happened in Buckhead, when MARTA built a station. And the east line from Inman Park to Decatur. Those areas became overran with low income people, if anything it helped those areas by connecting to business districts via transit and gave the residents the option to use transit. When MARTA extended the Red Line to North Springs, it triggered a lot of the office development in Perimeter Center. BTW, most companies like to be close to a transit stations to give their employees the option of using transit.
Quote:
Commuter rail, btw, does not validate these fears due to the fact in most situations, it can only be used by people who are going to work in the city, and coming home to the suburbs at night.
Hate to tell you, but most of those folks that wake their butts early to catch MARTA are going to work. Many people in suits, slacks, and yes uniforms, but still most people are going to a job.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:55 AM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
A good commuter rail system doesn't just run inbound in the morning, then outbound in the evening, there's reverse commute, midday, evening and weekend service. Take a look at Metra, Long Island Railroad, New Jersey Transit, Metrolink, Tri-Rail, Metro North, MBTA, etc. They have trains running all directions, all times of day. Sure, the service is denser in the peak direction at peak times, but there's a good balance so you can go just about anywhere, just about any time. While Atlanta's system couldn't support the number of trains that those systems run from the start, it should be those systems that we use as models for what our system should eventually be rather than systems like Music City Star, Frontrunner, Northstar, Altamont Commuter Express, Sounder, etc. that have basic service at the peak times like our existing Xpress buses.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:59 AM

Run more trains to business districts during peak hours and a few trains outbound. As ridership grows the frequency can decrease and trains can run during all times.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:12 AM

175 posts, read 235,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
A good commuter rail system doesn't just run inbound in the morning, then outbound in the evening, there's reverse commute, midday, evening and weekend service. Take a look at Metra, Long Island Railroad, New Jersey Transit, Metrolink, Tri-Rail, Metro North, MBTA, etc. They have trains running all directions, all times of day. Sure, the service is denser in the peak direction at peak times, but there's a good balance so you can go just about anywhere, just about any time. While Atlanta's system couldn't support the number of trains that those systems run from the start, it should be those systems that we use as models for what our system should eventually be rather than systems like Music City Star, Frontrunner, Northstar, Altamont Commuter Express, Sounder, etc. that have basic service at the peak times like our existing Xpress buses.
Well Said Indeed Matt...The whole thing here os to give people options and in a place like Atl we shoild give the most bang for the buck right from the Gate meaning trains all day in all directions to serve the most people...Not evryone works a first shift...theres a second shift and o yea a Third Shift! Theres 24 hours in a day
Trains should Run at least 16 of those to be a Real Game changer here in the Metro...yea it will be expensive but in the long run it will be the smartest move jus like good old Hartsfield Jackson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta