Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 04:00 PM

13 posts, read 12,909 times

Advertisements

i am moving countries with my job and luckily my wife can also get a transfer!

Anyways, her company is based at Galleria Parkway, AT and i can wfh and just need a reasonable commute to the airport.

We would like to get recommendations on areas to live....

A) Good transport connections - my wifes office is at Galleria Parkway Atlanta - public transport?
B) We are expecting our first child just after we move (Feb'13) so kid friendly neighourhood.

Further info
1. Budget of max $2250 for rental
2. House preffered but open minded.
3. i can wfh - wife at home with LO but then commuting galleria parkway - public transport>?
4. Mix of urban and suburban lifestyle

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 06:14 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Saints be praised that you found us! Someone was telling us just yesterday that folk across the pond had never even heard of our wee village.

Welcome, and I hope you have a wonderful time here.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:17 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,114 times
Where will you be working?

Your wife will be in working in the Cumberland/Vinings area. Your budget and your wife's location will give you several options. The missing info is where will you be working.

Cumberland/Vingins has CCT bus service but in general it is not ideal for public transportion.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:22 PM

139 posts, read 207,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by london-tawn View Post
i am moving countries with my job and luckily my wife can also get a transfer!

Anyways, her company is based at Galleria Parkway, AT and i can wfh and just need a reasonable commute to the airport.

We would like to get recommendations on areas to live....

A) Good transport connections - my wifes office is at Galleria Parkway Atlanta - public transport?
B) We are expecting our first child just after we move (Feb'13) so kid friendly neighourhood.

Further info
1. Budget of max $2250 for rental
2. House preffered but open minded.
3. i can wfh - wife at home with LO but then commuting galleria parkway - public transport>?
4. Mix of urban and suburban lifestyle

Thanks
As an ex-pat from London, I would strongly recommend your moving to San Francisco instead of Atlanta (I read your other post in that forum). Atlanta truly is a horrid place to be with poor public transport and high crime. The state of Georgia is run by ultra right-wing politicians. Race relations are to blame for much of its shortcomings.

San Francisco is a dense, walkable and truly cosmopolitan city. The climate is temperate and you're close to the ocean and mountains. Neighbourhoods have character and most of them are virtually crime-free and quite safe. Public transport is much more extensive, and isn't seen as a mode of transport for the poor, as is the case in Atlanta.

I travel throughout the States frequently and have been to all its major and most of the lesser cities. I never experienced culture shock as intensely as I did in Atlanta.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:28 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Is there some big time company based out of ATL that does lots of business in the UK or vice versus? I've been seeing a noticeable number of English people here and I've only lived here for 3 weeks.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:32 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Of Deen View Post
As an ex-pat from London, I would strongly recommend your moving to San Francisco instead of Atlanta (I read your other post in that forum). Atlanta truly is a horrid place to be with poor public transport and high crime. The state of Georgia is run by ultra right-wing politicians. Race relations are to blame for much of its shortcomings.

San Francisco is a dense, walkable and truly cosmopolitan city. The climate is temperate and you're close to the ocean and mountains. Neighbourhoods have character and most of them are virtually crime-free and quite safe. Public transport is much more extensive, and isn't seen as a mode of transport for the poor, as is the case in Atlanta.

I travel throughout the States frequently and have been to all its major and most of the lesser cities. I never experienced culture shock as intensely as I did in Atlanta.
ouch! that's gonna leave a mark! Can't say I disagree. Cheers!

Old 08-25-2012, 07:35 PM

396 posts, read 601,494 times
invesco has their world hq here, but for some period of time it was based out of london. (henley)

Old 08-25-2012, 07:37 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
invesco has their world hq here, but for some period of time it was based out of london. (henley)
Oh ok thanks. I've been wondering for a while now and figured I'd ask.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:13 PM

21 posts, read 45,591 times
I would not move to Atlanta from London. I actually wouldn't move to America from London. But if you must, I would move to an area with a lot of European immigrants. I'm Canadian and have lived in Atlanta for over 10 years. The cultures are just too different. My Mum is from Chelsea (london) and she sat nicely in Toronto, she hardly missed a step. Unfortunately I missed many steps when making the change.
You have a child, like Toronto, you are used to kids walking to schools, schools being less then a 10 minute walk away, and basic burdens being taken care of. America you'll have to pay out of pocket even for your trashed to be picked up- take those things into consideration, we didn't.

You have to drive in Atlanta. I remember when I first got here and I had to drive to the mall. It was ridiculously far. Now a 15minute drive to the mall is nothing because everything is far. Things are spread out here. People who are from atlanta don't know that, but people who aren't from Atlanta will quickly realize that things are FAR. It's not normal to have to drive 25-45 minutes just to get anywhere.

But again, if you must come to America, pick a place that has a high level of immigrants. New York or Chicago are your best bet. People have already been in your shoes so don't reinvent the wheel. There's Little Italy, Chinatown, Koreatown, etc in those cities for a reason. Whenever I'm there I can finally feel at peace. I don't like huge cities, so Chicago is better and more affordable. Has great public transportation, and whenever I'm on the train I can find someone speaking another language like Russian, Polish, German, and some even have that oh so sweet Canadian accent.
Atlanta you will hardly find any of it. And what I can tell is people don't mix. In Canada everyone mixes. I say this knowing very well that people from Atlanta will get offended, but what they need to know is that being liberal in the south is like being conservative in Toronto.

I don't want to say the people suck, that's not what i'm saying. But you have to understand, if they don't know any better they don't know they are doing anything wrong. People I know think they are very liberal yet they say some really offensive things, but the problem is they don't know it's offensive. So is it really their fault?

ramble ramble. Stay in London or move to somewhere in Europe. If you must leave move to either NYC or Chicago, or move to your little brother in Toronto a place that tried to replicate your country in there's.
Cheers

Old 08-26-2012, 07:10 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Just to add a little balance to this thread, I will say that I have known quite a few expats in the time I have lived in Atlanta. For the most part, they have gotten along quite well. It's true that IME they to be more often drawn to the intown neighborhoods, perhaps because of the more urban (and liberal) vibe there.
London is my favorite city in the world; its no doubt a tough act to follow. However, with some informed investigation, I think a Londoner can find a comfortable home here.

Last edited by Iconographer; 08-26-2012 at 07:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta