Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 04:55 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Good lord can you at least try to form an intellectually honest rebuttal? This nonsense sounds like Limbaugh 101.

The last sentence about claiming that I want government to run radio is just plain lazy logic. But then again I expected this when I posted the comment.

Didn't you just say that only white males can afford Sattelite radio and Internet? I am asking you question just to clarify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 05:09 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I understand why you're upset. The arguments made are common ones, but they just don't quite add up.

Keep in mind the powers that be are actually many different media companies that are outright competing with one another.

During the XM and Sirius merger fiasco, which should have never been allowed to happen, the NAB (national association of broadcasters... the main industry association for radio station owners) lobbied heavily against the merger from concern of competition from that industry altogether.

So the broadcasters have different financial interests from those that own satellite radio. They are directly competing over portions of the market, but they both have control of some different markets where they don't compete.

The main point I'm making... is thre aren't working together and have competing interests. If radio drops a demographic more, it is because they are having a tougher time competing for that demographic naturally.... not because they are willing to give up that demographic to satellite radio. That also means... it isn't really their fault. They are adjusting to market (listeners) behaviors.
Man, you said a MOUTHFUL.

Without going point-by-point on this commentary...I honestly think that satellite radio and regular radio are not competing with each other. I feel that the only reason satellite radio had formed was to play the type of stuff that the overly puritanical FCC would never allow on regular radio. The reality is that in the case of Atlanta's dying rock & metal scene (on terrestrial radio), satellite radio just happens to be picking up the rock & metal scraps in Atlanta's market after terrestrial radio apparently decided to abandoned those 2 formats.

And as to this concept of terrestrial radio adjusting to its market (listeners) behaviors? I have to call bullcrap on that one.

America's market system just like its politics had always operated on a "winner takes all" structure.

I simply think that all formats(rock, metal, rap, R&B, alternative, soul, jazz, alt, and...pop) made money, some formats more than others. And lazy corporations decided that rather than continue to allow those formats to continue making money in their own fashion, these corporations simply picked the format(s) that made the most money and milked the heck out of that format for everything that it's worth, whether through allowing for longer play times for said formats, finding artists that performed/sing only those formats, creating surveys that purposely guided the audience towards a certain format in order to justify this lazy process, and finally creating radio stations that ultimately just play those formats and nothing else. I definitely don't see the "free" in that free-market.

And that, my fellow city-date ATLiens, is the utter laziness of American capitalism.

It kills choice by simply focusing on who is the stronger of the pack and kill off the rest. There is no more freedom in this structure than there is in a structure that is totally government-owned...and it really ticks me off when folks on here act as if there is only one way or the other way in these discussions, i.e. the false dilemma.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 08-31-2012 at 06:04 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 05:11 PM

No I won't.

I won't engage in this nonsense if you refuse to have a regular discussion. You do this far too much than necessary and I won't have any of it.

If you don't like what I've said, just state the reason why. Don't be so roundabout with the commentary and questions like you're trying to find a gotcha! moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Didn't you just say that only white males can afford Sattelite radio and Internet? I am asking you question just to clarify.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 08-31-2012 at 05:44 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 05:42 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,956 times
Quote:
No I won't.

I won't engage in this nonsense if you refuse to have a regular discussion. You do this far too much than necessary and I won't have any of it.
Quote:
But what's truly sad is that I like rock and metal music...but I can't afford to pay monthly for satellite radio. I don't even pay monthly for cable tv. My yearly income simply doesn't support monthly paid entertainment. So I guess it's the white male demographic that's being sought after here. Black men need not apply...as usual.
I'd love to have a discussion but you would really have to clarify this statement before assumptions are made. I'm not sure why you are getting defensive at all.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:54 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,374,505 times
SiriusXM is just as bad, if not worse than terrestrial radio. Used to be good. Now bad music and too much jibber jabber.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:57 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,790 times
This is sad for Atlanta.

We had a classic radio station in 99x in the Susquehanna days. In the early 90's it seemed as if they were left to create their own playlists and were in charge of the direction of the station. Back then, 99x was one of the most respected alt stations in the nation.

It seems that every time the playlist is limited and dictated, that radio station fails. These dumb***** radio execs come in and think they are going to return a station to profitability by requiring them to play Man in the Box by Alice in Chains 20 times a day, but they fail.

What is going on here is the more discriminate listeners are being more discriminate... they are taking advantage of their new found freedom to create their own radio stations. They are doing this because EVERY SINGLE STATION has a ultra limited playlist. With the aural crimes that are played all day over and over over again on the chicky pop channels, wannabe country stations, and computer generated rap lyrics, there is nowhere terrestrial to turn to for someone who gives a crap about music! (except 88.5)

Let the stations dictate their own playlists. Use music directors on a local level to allow for some originality in stations.

Cumulus / Clear Channel = the enemy of music lovers nationwide.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:58 PM

You know that I said is exactly what you are doing...even if you don't want to admit it.

You won't be goading me into revealing some elusive gotcha! moment...I am gamed for a regular debate & rebuttal when you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
I'd love to have a discussion but you would really have to clarify this statement before assumptions are made. I'm not sure why you are getting defensive at all.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:05 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,768,125 times
Quote:

And as this concept of terrestrial radio adjusting to its market (listeners) behaviors? I have to call bullcrap on that one.
I'm simply confused.

If you are calling bullcrap... Who is controlling it?

What is the plausible alternative that looks at the realities of the situation and doesn't just use vague terms and groups, like the powers that be?

It isn't the powers that be... There are many different powers that be that are separate competing businesses. Not all radio stations in Atlanta are controlled by Clear Channel or Cumulus and we actually have a healthy mix of smaller broadcasters.

The FCC has absolutely no regulation over format choice over most the spectrum. The exceptions are public radio, educational programming, and some grandfathered religion based stations. 88.5, as mentioned, would fall under this umbrella. Typically, they are in the really low frequencies.

But anyways, whether you're willing to accept it or not, the true reality is listeners of rock/metal have been on the decline.... at least as far as listening via radio. That is reality and it is purely based on the demographics of those listeners leaving to other technologies.

I'm also confused how choosing formats that make more money (mostly because the attract more listeners) is being lazy?

I mean that is the choice of the end-consumer, the listener. They are choosing, as a group, to listen to pop more. That is how market-economics work and are analyzed. If a format attracts more listeners, more broadcasters will compete in that format. A monopoly wouldn't think that way. That is why satellite radio has options available and has micro-niches.

It just like I said in the previous post. These radio stations aren't a single company. If one company plays a pop station and gets 20% market share and a second company is only getting 4% market share, then the second company will switch formats and if successful likely get 10% market share. However, that is also a reality that more listeners want to hear that, even though you don't agree with their tastes.

Truth be told, that is the reality of how listeners tune their radios.

What I find interesting about this argument... During the 90s rock/metal/alternative stations flourished for these very same market principles.

Listeners change, so will broadcasters.

Also, satellite radio and regular radio are competing over certain demographics. This is pretty evident. My parents have satellite radio in their car, the #1 place most Americans listen to the radio. They always listen to satellite radio and not local radio. That directly is competition over certain markets and demographics and it does impact the market.

The other thing... what exactly are you suggesting should be done? I'm a little confused by that too.

I just simply feel a need to say... Remember a majority of people still don't choose to buy satellite radio and this includes white males, particularly younger ones.

I'd also be careful of this race argument, at least in this situation when it comes to rock/metal. In the 90s rock, metal, and alternative together was the main stream. It had more market share than anything and was most popular thing around. It is still a format that is widely popular with white men, so if your original argument is... black men need not apply... only white men matter to these companies and white men are listening to rock/metal, then you have to acknowledge the radio company owners are abandoning white males, not necessarily black males. So while there are ripe areas in academic research for analysis in communications with considerations of race, but it just doesn't this unique situation at all. To me this is creating alot of confusion as I'm actually trying to consider your arguments.

I'm not trying to pick on you and I'm sorry my posts are so long, but I'm just finding too much confusion or inconsistencies. Life and market analysis isn't as simple as grouping all companies and/or government together and blaming them.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:06 PM

I could not have put this any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
This is sad for Atlanta.

We had a classic radio station in 99x in the Susquehanna days. In the early 90's it seemed as if they were left to create their own playlists and were in charge of the direction of the station. Back then, 99x was one of the most respected alt stations in the nation.

It seems that every time the playlist is limited and dictated, that radio station fails. These dumb***** radio execs come in and think they are going to return a station to profitability by requiring them to play Man in the Box by Alice in Chains 20 times a day, but they fail.

What is going on here is the more discriminate listeners are being more discriminate... they are taking advantage of their new found freedom to create their own radio stations. They are doing this because EVERY SINGLE STATION has a ultra limited playlist. With the aural crimes that are played all day over and over over again on the chicky pop channels, wannabe country stations, and computer generated rap lyrics, there is nowhere terrestrial to turn to for someone who gives a crap about music! (except 88.5)

Let the stations dictate their own playlists. Use music directors on a local level to allow for some originality in stations.

Cumulus / Clear Channel = the enemy of music lovers nationwide.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:09 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,707,982 times
Coming tomorrow:

99X at 98.9 becomes 98.9/The Bone, grabs Project 9-6-1’s active rock mantle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta