Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 06:04 PM

616 posts, read 1,113,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
ASO, musicians in a stalemate | www.ajc.com

I just wanted to know what you guys think about this.

I don't really know enough about the situation to comment. It seems really crummy to me that the managers of the symphony refuse to take any paycut. But then, it's also really hard for me to sympathize with musicians who make $130k a year with free health care, pensions, and 8 weeks of vacation.

Probably both sides are being unreasonable, but what do you think?
130K plus health benefits plus a pension plus 8 weeks vacation?!?!?!

WTF?

For playing in the ASO?

Primary care doctors don't even get that these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 06:24 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
What's missing from this article is how compensation packages at the ASO stack up to other US orchestras. The musicians and administrators are at the end of the day a commodity. I would interested in knowing how said commodity is valued in other markets.
I would have to think salaries for ASO musicians are pretty competitive with our peer cities.

I can see their point, however. If you've got executives pulling down half a million a year, why should the people who actually play the music have to scrimp by on a measly $130,000?

Old 09-05-2012, 06:40 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I would have to think salaries for ASO musicians are pretty competitive with our peer cities.

I can see their point, however. If you've got executives pulling down half a million a year, why should the people who actually play the music have to scrimp by on a measly $130,000?
It's also a question of...do they earn the pay? If the ASO was packin' them in so all the salaries and benefits are covered, then there wouldn't be an argument. But symphonies rely on gifts, endowments, and corporate and private sponsorships so it does beg the question of are they worth it?

Most of the reasons I've heard for even having a symphony, ballet, and opera is...well...any big city has to have one.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:34 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
It's also a question of...do they earn the pay? If the ASO was packin' them in so all the salaries and benefits are covered, then there wouldn't be an argument. But symphonies rely on gifts, endowments, and corporate and private sponsorships so it does beg the question of are they worth it?

Most of the reasons I've heard for even having a symphony, ballet, and opera is...well...any big city has to have one.
I believe your last statement to be true. It's one of those things we're expected to have when being considered for corporate relocation and so forth.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:37 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Especially when you compare them to media entertainment, where talent quite typically outearns much of the upper management.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:40 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
A pension for a violin player might seem ludicrous to some, but it was part of the contract. Now the other party wants to renege, so of course they are going to fight it out.
I don't believe that anyone reneged on the contract - their prior contract was fulfilled and expired 8/31, but a new one has not been agreed upon.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:34 AM

725 posts, read 1,279,448 times
ASO is very important to atlanta. For those complaining about saleries, look at it like a football team, in order to have the best you gotta pay. As far as the musical world is concerned, ASO musicians are UNDERpaid. ASO ranks towards the back of major orchestras in musicians saleries.

Also most people in Atlanta don't realise what ASO is worth. ASO is widley considered one of the best orchestras in the WORLD. Many of ASO's recordings are considered the gold standard in the world. The culture of Atlanta would take a MASSIVE hit without ASO.

This is a big deal, I really hope they can work it out.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
ASO is very important to atlanta. For those complaining about saleries, look at it like a football team, in order to have the best you gotta pay. As far as the musical world is concerned, ASO musicians are UNDERpaid. ASO ranks towards the back of major orchestras in musicians saleries.
But football brings in a lot of money...and I mean a lot. It also has revenue sharing. The one area football can screw a town is demanding a new stadium. But I guess so can the symphony. The Atlanta Ballet and Opera dumped Atlanta and now perform at Cobb Energy. Really, your pay should reflect the market value for your skill.

Quote:
Also most people in Atlanta don't realise what ASO is worth. ASO is widley considered one of the best orchestras in the WORLD. Many of ASO's recordings are considered the gold standard in the world. The culture of Atlanta would take a MASSIVE hit without ASO.

This is a big deal, I really hope they can work it out.
I've never heard the ASO described as among the best in the world. To me they've always been second string at best. What surprises me is that Cleveland's is considered to be so good.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:47 AM

725 posts, read 1,279,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
But football brings in a lot of money...and I mean a lot. It also has revenue sharing. The one area football can screw a town is demanding a new stadium. But I guess so can the symphony. The Atlanta Ballet and Opera dumped Atlanta and now perform at Cobb Energy. Really, your pay should reflect the market value for your skill.

I've never heard the ASO described as among the best in the world. To me they've always been second string at best. What surprises me is that Cleveland's is considered to be so good.
ASO is definatly one of the best in the world. If you think they are seconed string than you really dont know anything about modern classical music.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
ASO is definatly one of the best in the world. If you think they are seconed string than you really dont know anything about modern classical music.
Ok, among the best in the world, says who?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta