Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 12:50 AM

5 posts, read 8,199 times

Advertisements

I'm a female in my very early 20s looking to move out on my own to Atlanta, Ga from Los Angeles, CA. I graduated college a year ago in Atlanta and moved back home to LA but I kinda miss Atlanta. I have a degree in Mass Communications so I'm looking to move to either Austin, Tx or Atlanta to pursue a career in Tv or Film production as well. I'm a city girl (born and raised in LA) but I like parts of the South with a city feel to it. I'd like to know:

*How is the crime?
*What's a good area to move to for a fairly priced one bedroom apartment not too far from the city and/or nightlife? I 'd also like it to be close to shopping centers for grocery shopping and stuff like that.
*Is there any good public transportation?

Thanks for your help!!

Last edited by sweetypye2u; 09-04-2012 at 01:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 08:32 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
You will have a much, MUCH, MUCH easier time being successful in TV and/or film in Los Angeles.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:55 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetypye2u View Post
*How is the crime?
*What's a good area to move to for a fairly priced one bedroom apartment not too far from the city and/or nightlife? I 'd also like it to be close to shopping centers for grocery shopping and stuff like that.

Thanks for your help!!
Well, if you spend some time browsing through past postings and/or using the "search" feature here, you'll find all three categories you've listed above have been discussed many times with threads that are still active. So I encourage you to explore the room's past entries for answers to this.

Quick Answers:

1) As with any large city, there is crime here. Some say it's higher than the norm. Stats are that it's higher than the national average (big city of course). Using common sense when out and about is the key to remaining safe.

2) "Fairly priced" can be any price, depending on who you ask and depending on their income. The average 1 BR/ 1 BA apartment here in the metro area is around $750-$850 a month depending of course on amenities and location, with that price fluxing upward for more features or slightly lower. Midtown is a good area with a mix of things to do, central location, public transit, etc. Apartments in Midtown can run from $850 to $1,300+ on average.

3) Public transit = MARTA. LINK

Old 09-04-2012, 10:52 AM

890 posts, read 1,649,167 times
Quote:
I'm a female in my very early 20s looking to move out on my own to Atlanta, Ga from Los Angeles, CA. I graduated college a year ago in Atlanta and moved back home to LA but I kinda miss Atlanta. I have a degree in Mass Communications so I'm looking to move to either Austin, Tx or Atlanta to pursue a career in Tv or Film production as well. I'm a city girl (born and raised in LA) but I like parts of the South with a city feel to it. I'd like to know:

*How is the crime?

Thanks for your help!!
If you went to school here, shouldn't you know a lot of things already....I'm just saying

Old 09-04-2012, 12:54 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
If you went to school here, shouldn't you know a lot of things already....I'm just saying
That's what I'm wondering too.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:02 PM

5 posts, read 8,199 times
First off, I didn't live on my own when i was out there and I always lived on campus which is OBVIOUSLY different from moving out on my own. If you don't have helpful anything to contribute to answering my questions then DON'T reply please and thanks

Old 09-04-2012, 04:11 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,029,499 times
Quote:
First off, I didn't live on my own when i was out there and I always lived on campus which is OBVIOUSLY different from moving out on my own. If you don't have helpful anything to contribute to answering my questions then DON'T reply please and thanks
I thought the same thing...I don't think anyone was trying to be rude, but if you went to school here it seems like you would know at least a little bit about the city - like about MARTA and some good neighborhoods - even if you did live on campus.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I thought the same thing...I don't think anyone was trying to be rude, but if you went to school here it seems like you would know at least a little bit about the city - like about MARTA and some good neighborhoods - even if you did live on campus.
I agree. I lived on campus when I was in college and I know the city of Baltimore pretty well(although I'm from a small town and had no idea about city life). I went off campus quite a bit

Old 09-04-2012, 04:27 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
Well, Los Angeles, Atlanta, or Austin, you're not going to get any job with an attitude like that.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Well, Los Angeles, Atlanta, or Austin, you're not going to get any job with an attitude like that.
I didn't want to say that lol...but it's true...
to answer the OP's question find a job first and then let us know where it is because it's easier to recommend a place if we know the location of where you'll be working. Since you went to school here you shouldn't have that hard of time networking, job hunting, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta