Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 05:12 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times

Advertisements

Where exactly is this area at? Would it be considered where the newest development is on Marietta Street? I remember going to the Westmar Lofts located on W. Marietta Street and there are a lot of development and it seemed like a decent area so why does everyone say it's not safe? I remember walking from Downtown to this area during the day and at evening and nothing seemed out of the ordinary...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 12:19 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,871,997 times
that's west midtown and luckie-marietta. when people are talking about the "westside" being dangerous, they're referring to vine city, the bluff, bankhead, dixie hills, etc. vine city and the atlanta university center is coming up faster than the rest of it, but a good portion of the area is just plain dangerous to be in day or night. there are parts i won't *drive* through in the middle of the day.

now, realize this is different from west midtown and luckie-marietta. these places are becoming nice now, they were formerly industrial, now there's lofts and stores, and i'm sure this will help the area to the west of there (westside).

part of the reason these neighbourhoods on the westside have become so rundown is because of the train tracks that separate these places from downtown and midtown— you have to cross a bridge or go under a tunnel to get to the other side of the tracks and urban development is limited when there's that kind of thing to traverse.

most of west midtown and all of luckie-marietta is on the east side of the tracks, the same side as downtown and midtown.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:23 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,871,997 times
i just googled the westmar lofts to see where you were talking about. that area is near knight park and is actually on the west side of the tracks, that area is coming up recently and is not a bad place to live— but if you keep heading west on marietta, in a couple of miles it turns into perry boulevard and you're in a less-than-nice neighbourhood, and if you head straight down on lowery (ashby) you're in hell in less than a mile.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:38 AM

207 posts, read 322,009 times
Westside = West Midtown.

West Midtown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-24-2012, 12:53 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunwoodyPanhandle View Post

That may be the Westside to you, but the Westside to us folks from the Westside is NW and SW Atlanta from downtown to Fulton Industrial east to west, and everything from Bolton Rd to Campbellton Rd. north to south. Yeah West Midtown is on the Westside, but it is no where near the only neighborhood on the Westside- Bankhead, Simpson, West End, Oakland City, MLK, Cascade, Collier Heights, Adamsville, are also the westside. And even then you can break those down even further, like Bankhead for instance is basically a section of smaller areas- Johnson Rd, Grove Park/Baker Rd, Hollywood, Kings Grant, Bolton Rd, the north end of the Bluff, and when Bowen Homes was up it was so big it was even its own area. Now to an outsider it's all Bankhead, but to me those are different neighborhoods.

This West Midtown stuff is new too, I remember the days when people from that area wouldn't dare call it the Westside. It is what it is though, if anything it makes the Westside cooler IMO.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:53 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,818,108 times
I agree with the above. It is also pretty funny to me the references to Marietta St being more safe than other parts of the Westside.

I live in English Avenue aka the bluff, and if you look at neighborhood maps "West Midtown" is actually a part of English Avenue as it extends up to Marietta St on the northern part of the neighborhood, it was just mostly warehouses and railroads in that area before the re-development happened.

But I agree that the Westside is the actual West side of Atlanta, basically the portion west of the GA Dome and includes Vine City, English Avenue, West End, Mozley Park, Westview, Knights Park/Howell Station, Bankhead, Grove Park, Collier Heights, Adamsville, and other lesser known NW neighborhoods of Atlanta. Basically if it has a NW after the address IMO it is the Westside. I even consider Whittier Mill, Bolton, and Riverside as Westside neighborhoods. Anything with SW is Southwest Atlanta.

ETA: I love living on the Westside, even though I do live in a neighborhood people are afraid of. But I've never experienced any crime or any sort of attacks and I do walk around here quite a lot as well. There is much less traffic and it is cheaper than the Eastside for now. I forsee some parts of the Westside turning into a new "it" location within the next 10 years. There are also a lot of shopping and restaurants popping up, especially around Marietta and Howell Mill Rd. I can walk over there from my neighborhood in about 15 minutes so it is pretty convenient to hang out in the area and there are some decent sidewalks over here so walkability is pretty good.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:08 PM

164 posts, read 375,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with the above. It is also pretty funny to me the references to Marietta St being more safe than other parts of the Westside.

I live in English Avenue aka the bluff, and if you look at neighborhood maps "West Midtown" is actually a part of English Avenue as it extends up to Marietta St on the northern part of the neighborhood, it was just mostly warehouses and railroads in that area before the re-development happened.

But I agree that the Westside is the actual West side of Atlanta, basically the portion west of the GA Dome and includes Vine City, English Avenue, West End, Mozley Park, Westview, Knights Park/Howell Station, Bankhead, Grove Park, Collier Heights, Adamsville, and other lesser known NW neighborhoods of Atlanta. Basically if it has a NW after the address IMO it is the Westside. I even consider Whittier Mill, Bolton, and Riverside as Westside neighborhoods. Anything with SW is Southwest Atlanta.

ETA: I love living on the Westside, even though I do live in a neighborhood people are afraid of. But I've never experienced any crime or any sort of attacks and I do walk around here quite a lot as well. There is much less traffic and it is cheaper than the Eastside for now. I forsee some parts of the Westside turning into a new "it" location within the next 10 years. There are also a lot of shopping and restaurants popping up, especially around Marietta and Howell Mill Rd. I can walk over there from my neighborhood in about 15 minutes so it is pretty convenient to hang out in the area and there are some decent sidewalks over here so walkability is pretty good.

You are one brave person to want to live in English Avenue.... why choose to live there when there are much better areas? The price is low, and the area is close to downtown/midtown, but that area does not have much to offer... it was called the food desert until Walmart decided to build in Vince City, where a Publix vanished in the night lol. Walmart Taking Publix Space in Vine City - Curbed Atlanta

The crime rate is also high, so you must be on edge and taking a lot of precautions to not become another crime statistic. I would be really amazed if you are trying to raise kids on English Avenue.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:07 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
That may be the Westside to you, but the Westside to us folks from the Westside is NW and SW Atlanta from downtown to Fulton Industrial east to west, and everything from Bolton Rd to Campbellton Rd. north to south. Yeah West Midtown is on the Westside, but it is no where near the only neighborhood on the Westside- Bankhead, Simpson, West End, Oakland City, MLK, Cascade, Collier Heights, Adamsville, are also the westside. And even then you can break those down even further, like Bankhead for instance is basically a section of smaller areas- Johnson Rd, Grove Park/Baker Rd, Hollywood, Kings Grant, Bolton Rd, the north end of the Bluff, and when Bowen Homes was up it was so big it was even its own area. Now to an outsider it's all Bankhead, but to me those are different neighborhoods.
Very true! And thanks for the Oakland City shoutout.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:28 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Very true! And thanks for the Oakland City shoutout.
Oh no doubt. I went to Washington so I got a few homies from Oakland City. My first HS gf was from the Avon Ave/Westmont area, spent plenty of nights walking to the OC MARTA station from her house....lol

Old 08-27-2012, 08:17 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,857,747 times
Quote:

Good, don't be afraid to live somewhere because the majority of people say it is bad or there is a perception of the area. How else would areas like Inman Park, Cander Park, etc. every become desirable if people didn't take chances on neighborhoods. Not everyone is scared to live in majority-black, urban neighborhoods. I applaud this person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta