Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 06:23 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,377,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
I believe that an HOA has the authority to contact the AJC and have their subdivision formally removed from the delivery list if my memory serves me correct.
Your memory serves you partially correct.
In the past when we call up the AJC and tell them to stop delivering to the whole neighborhood, the first level customer service tells you "no we can remove a specific address but not the whole neighborhood."

When you ask to speak to a supervisor, they give you an email address for your future communication with them. They made me send a complete list of every address in the sub. In the past that works for a while then they're right back at it. Then you complain again and it stops for a while then it happens again. This most recent time I complained, threatened a law suit, used a no handbills sticker and nothing has changed.

They just don't care. What's worse is every other house has no fewer than 3 spam papers laying there and most of which are beyond being able to be read because they are in their vomit-like state of paper mache. It looks terrible. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has absolutely zero respect for the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
Man, people with houses have some crazy problems. Stuff like this really makes me glad to be in an apartment
Uh yeah. I know all about life in an apartment all the joys of apartment living and those crazy problems.
But this is certainly one thing you don't have to deal with. Although it does make other parts of your community look horrendous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
When I lived up in PA we had the same issue, We made up a flyer, attached to the newspaper, and someone when to the publishers home (about 2 miles away) and dumped hundreds at the end of his driveway. Other neighborhoods found out about us doing it, and each morning he would come out to find piles and piles of (wet) newspaper piled on his driveway. About 2 weeks after we started 'returning' the papers to him, the 'free' distribution stopped.
I love it!
There's enough of them in our sub right now to do a sizable pile.
Although I'm guessing Anne Cox chambers has a staff of peons to clean up all the soggy piles of her spam papers long before she even gets wind of them being there. Especially her home en Provence.
So lovely to see her doing so well when her newspaper is reduced to spamming the crap out of millions of people and laying off lots of folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 11:45 PM

276 posts, read 431,019 times
Perhaps you should contact a non-Cox television station. They seem to love taking these problems on. Maybe the attention along with an en masse here's what to do to get the AJC to stop, will have a result.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:35 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Music Midtown generated more waste and litter in 24 hours than the AJC does in a year.... Piedmont Park was in a disgraceful shape yesterday. As was my street.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperanita View Post
Perhaps you should contact a non-Cox television station. They seem to love taking these problems on. Maybe the attention along with an en masse here's what to do to get the AJC to stop, will have a result.
I might try that. But I don't expect that will make them stop.
That's just free publicity for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Music Midtown generated more waste and litter in 24 hours than the AJC does in a year.... Piedmont Park was in a disgraceful shape yesterday. As was my street.
But isn't there is someone who's getting paid to clean that mess up?

Old 09-24-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
I might try that. But I don't expect that will make them stop.
That's just free publicity for them.

But isn't there is someone who's getting paid to clean that mess up?
Even more expenses for City of Atlanta tax payers (the folks who came from out of town don't contribute to litter pickup...) and for the Piedmont Park Conservancy. And, I had to pick up the litter in my front yard. I just don't understand why some folks are so irresponsible. I do have to admit, though, that the drunken idiot who decided to pee in my front yard Saturday evening got a big surprise when my 125 lb. Rottie paid him a friendly visit.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Even more expenses for City of Atlanta tax payers (the folks who came from out of town don't contribute to litter pickup...) and for the Piedmont Park Conservancy. And, I had to pick up the litter in my front yard. I just don't understand why some folks are so irresponsible. I do have to admit, though, that the drunken idiot who decided to pee in my front yard Saturday evening got a big surprise when my 125 lb. Rottie paid him a friendly visit.
Well that's why in-town living isn't for everyone.
I don't like things like litter and people peeing in my front yard or parking in the street or walking by the house that is all big city stuff that I didn't bargain for out in the country. Now you got these AJC city slickers coming out here throwing their trash in the street.

If people would clean up the mess I wouldn't care one iota but that's really the root of the matter is most homeowners are slobs and just leave the papers there thinking someone else is going to come by and sweep the streets for them. It makes me so mad that the owners don't care, the county doesn't care and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution sure as hell doesn't care because they're a bunch of pigs.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Well that's why in-town living isn't for everyone.
I don't like things like litter and people peeing in my front yard or parking in the street or walking by the house that is all big city stuff that I didn't bargain for out in the country. Now you got these AJC city slickers coming out here throwing their trash in the street.

If people would clean up the mess I wouldn't care one iota but that's really the root of the matter is most homeowners are slobs and just leave the papers there thinking someone else is going to come by and sweep the streets for them. It makes me so mad that the owners don't care, the county doesn't care and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution sure as hell doesn't care because they're a bunch of pigs.
Those AJC "city slickers" - their offices and plants are in Gwinnett County now! So, really it's you country folk who are littering up the city! Just joshing with you, of course. You do make a good point about owners and governments that don't care. I also detest the little baggies that have rocks and ads in them that folks seem to think is a great way to market. Never have gotten that one.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:59 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
I do have to admit, though, that the drunken idiot who decided to pee in my front yard Saturday evening got a big surprise when my 125 lb. Rottie paid him a friendly visit.
Excellent!

So sorry that the park and your street were trashed, Ansley. That is utterly irresponsible.

By the way, I can't speak for Music Midtown but I have noticed over the years that the majority of the cars you see at intown events don't have Fulton County tags. That was often the case when crowds were running amok in Buckhead too.

You are spot on about the AJC. They're about as far removed from "city slicker" as it gets. Their headquarters, both physically and otherwise, is in Dunwoody and their printing is out in Gwinnett.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:19 AM

399 posts, read 700,898 times
I had a neighbor who left those papers in the driveway and instead of having a coronary over it, I just threw them in the trash bin on pick-up day. Problem solved.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:06 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Even more expenses for City of Atlanta tax payers (the folks who came from out of town don't contribute to litter pickup...)
That's true, but people who come here from out of town spend exponentially more on goods and services than they use free-of-charge in government services such as sanitation, so it's a big win overall.

I don't thionk it's a smart move to be anti-tourist and anti-large event just because you have to spend 15 seconds cleaning your front yard once a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta