Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 08:51 AM

6 posts, read 27,777 times

Advertisements

We recently moved here from Colorado. My husband is an experienced mountain biker. He is looking for mountain biking trails near the Dunwoody/Sandy Springs area. He likes Blankets Creek. Are there any other trails anyone can recommend that are similar? Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 09:01 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,379,725 times
Well this aint too close to your area but you might check out Fort Yargo state park and also panola mountain s.p.
The county parks that I am aware of have some bike trails but they are

Old 10-07-2012, 09:28 AM

23,467 posts, read 44,121,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Well this aint too close to your area but you might check out Fort Yargo state park and also panola mountain s.p.
The county parks that I am aware of have some bike trails but they are
Both good suggestions. I like Unicoi and Red Top Mountain as well.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:30 AM

236 posts, read 699,043 times
The Olympic course is just North of Conyers and it was awesome at one time...haven't been there in years.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:54 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,105,806 times
Check out the trails run by SORBA behind Gainesville College and at Chicopee Woods in Gainesville.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:46 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,373,976 times
There's Olde Rope Mill Park in Woodstock, not too far from Blanket's Creek.

Also, Big Creek Trails off of Old Alabama Road in Roswell.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:40 AM

190 posts, read 319,144 times
Sope Creek would be the closest to you...only about 10 minutes away. While this isn't the best trail around by a long shot, it's great for a quick ride after work. I would say Wooten off of Old Alabama Rd in Roswell would be the next closest. If you're looking for some great trails, there are tons of them in the N. GA mountains, about an hour or so away. I always liked Bear Creek, but my favorite is Tsali in North Carolina. It's about 2.5 hours away, but well worth the drive. Probably the closest thing we have to Colorado riding in the South East.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:49 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,832,279 times
There are a couple nice local spots, but Tsali (NC) is an easy day trip, and a really great ride for a fall weekend.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:05 AM

17 posts, read 39,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
There are a couple nice local spots, but Tsali (NC) is an easy day trip, and a really great ride for a fall weekend.

Also lots of Mtn. trails (USFS) about 2 hrs north in Rabun County. Good for day long trips. Stonewall Falls comes to mind. Do a Google.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:48 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,350,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiime View Post
Sope Creek would be the closest to you...only about 10 minutes away. While this isn't the best trail around by a long shot, it's great for a quick ride after work. I would say Wooten off of Old Alabama Rd in Roswell would be the next closest. If you're looking for some great trails, there are tons of them in the N. GA mountains, about an hour or so away. I always liked Bear Creek, but my favorite is Tsali in North Carolina. It's about 2.5 hours away, but well worth the drive. Probably the closest thing we have to Colorado riding in the South East.
The problem w/ Sope is the gravel dust path is hell on your drivetrain. It gets into everything and just chews stuff up. I went through 2 cassettes and several more chains in a year when I would ride there 3-4X week. They also made it a good bit less bicycle friendly when they added stairs to a section a few years back and technically you aren't supposed to ride on like 2/3 of the trails there.

The best shot for after work is probably Big Creek if he works near the 400 corridor and can get out an hr early. The trail itself pretty rocky and you tend not to have long groomed rolling hills. It's very much up/down and a lot of sharp turns to fit more trail into a small amount of space. I miss mountain biking a lot...living intown makes every trail ~1hr drive away. Wind up just riding the road bike since there's time spent driving out and back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta