Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 09:26 AM

8 posts, read 13,612 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are relocating in the next couple months to Gwinnett Co from West Georgia. I am looking at rental houses and was wondering what were the good areas? I'm seeing a lot for rent in Lawrenceville but I am not sure what areas are "good" there? I hear Collins Hill district is good, but that's about it.

Also looking for opinions on surrounding cities to Lawrenceville, such as Snellville, Dacula, and Lilburn.

My husband and I don't have children yet but we would like an area that is family friendly, fairly low crime and looking for a diversified community hopefully, one where outsiders/transplants are welcome.

I have seen some great things about Suwanee but it doesn't seem like there is a lot for rent in that area that is in our price range right now.

Thanks! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 09:39 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
Gwinnett is a great county.. tops for schools even though you don't have kids..

I currently live in Lilburn and the crime is low, neighborhoods are nice and clean. The Community parks are incredible in Gwinnett. Lots of shopping, entertainment.. far enough away from the big city to get a small city feel yet close enough to easily get to Atlanta for an event..

Our subdivision is small but very diverse... I think you would like it here as you would any of the cities you mentioned. Suwanee is probably the highest rent area and less diverse of the ones you mentioned..

Old 10-09-2012, 11:26 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
Buford , near the mall of georgia and hamilton mill is a good area.
Lots of rentals

Old 10-11-2012, 07:58 AM

I haven't ever heard much about Lilburn, it's good to hear some positive feedback on that.

I have read about the parks and I am definitely glad to see there are so many of those.

I wasn't aware of Suwanee being less diverse, that's an interesting thing to hear.

In my experiences in more rural areas, it seems like if you didn't grow up in the area it's a lot harder to meet people and form friendships. I have been told Gwinnett has more people who are not from the area and a lot are from out of state, so it's not such a "this is our club, you can't join" feel.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Gwinnett is a great county.. tops for schools even though you don't have kids..

I currently live in Lilburn and the crime is low, neighborhoods are nice and clean. The Community parks are incredible in Gwinnett. Lots of shopping, entertainment.. far enough away from the big city to get a small city feel yet close enough to easily get to Atlanta for an event..

Our subdivision is small but very diverse... I think you would like it here as you would any of the cities you mentioned. Suwanee is probably the highest rent area and less diverse of the ones you mentioned..

Old 10-11-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Buford , near the mall of georgia and hamilton mill is a good area.
Lots of rentals
Buford is a little further North than I was hoping for, but good to know.. never heard of Hamilton Mill, will look into it :-)

Old 10-11-2012, 09:00 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organicsweetie View Post
Hi all,

We are relocating in the next couple months to Gwinnett Co from West Georgia. I am looking at rental houses and was wondering what were the good areas? I'm seeing a lot for rent in Lawrenceville but I am not sure what areas are "good" there? I hear Collins Hill district is good, but that's about it.

Also looking for opinions on surrounding cities to Lawrenceville, such as Snellville, Dacula, and Lilburn.

My husband and I don't have children yet but we would like an area that is family friendly, fairly low crime and looking for a diversified community hopefully, one where outsiders/transplants are welcome.

I have seen some great things about Suwanee but it doesn't seem like there is a lot for rent in that area that is in our price range right now.

Thanks! )
All of Gwinnett is where outsiders/transplants are welcome.

We had less than 200,000 people when I was born here and now have over 800,000. Most of the people I went to school with were from the northeast or midwest.

Where are you commuting to?

You will hear more about Dacula, Hamilton Mill, Suwanee, and Buford because they are new areas and growing very quickly, but also further away from town.

Areas around Snelleville, Lawrenceville, and Lilburn can be equally nice, but they are older and were the new and up and coming areas of the past. They often have large nice areas, but more care needs to be taken to pick what side of town to move into. The areas that are mostly single family homes with few apartments and townhomes held value much better and the schools stayed nicer.

Largely the way I would describe Gwinnett is to create linear lines leading out from Atlanta.

The strip on the west side has alot more roads (85, buford highway, peachtree industrial). It is also near the river and North Fulton, which is the nice side of town. There are more jobs, including well paying ones nearby and better job access to places like North Point mall/Alpharetta and Peachtree Corners. So you tend to find alot of premium and choice property developments....older near Norcross and newer near Suwannee going further out of Atlanta. However you also find alot more apartments with lower income families, industrial areas, office areas, etc... There is more going on in general in the extreme positive and negative directions, but many of the county's nicest communities are in this strip.

The area near I-85, but southeast and south of 316, is further away from the wealth of Atlanta's northside, but there are still lots of business parks, tract housing, apartment complexes, etc.. This tends to be the county's least desirable tract, because of how the schools are affected by the high amount of apartments and lack of higher end housing.

The strip further south, especially south of US 29 is getting further away from I-85 and there are fewer larger roads. This means fewer apartments. The area is mostly single-family homes, less businesses, less industrial areas. These areas have stayed more desirable, since they are more like traditional suburbs with commuting access to Atlanta or the jobs along I-85 in Gwinnett. There is less density and less going on, but less things to make the area less desirable to live around and good for quiet bedroom suburbs.

The very southern strip/tip of the county, south of US78, is similar but not as nice... simply because it is so far from I-85 and all the jobs the county has to offer. The intra-county commute starts to get too long for most people and there is enough housing stock just to the north/west. There are, however, a few nice extremely low-density high acreage areas and a few lakes that have a few nice spots, but the schools are just average compared to well regarded ones nearby.

I could show you maps and data all day to back this up, but I'm going to limit it to one that I think will be most helpful and recommend you should 'overlay' with the county school cluster map in your mind. School's drive desirability.

http://www.atlantaregional.com/File%...orkersLive.pdf

Look at where the median home prices hold strong and the immediate nearby areas. (the only word of caution to issue about this map; it doesn't show the character of the area... what else is there... is it all single-family housing, low-density/high-density, are their businesses in the area, etc.. Some areas have expensive single-family homes, but lots of cheaper townhomes hold down the median price) What it does show... is those dark blue blobs are desirable to people by choice for various reasons or another. The trick is read mine and other comments about what makes each blob special and if you can afford it or if there is a good slightly cheaper area nearby that keeps the same perks.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:14 AM

Thanks for such a thought out response!

I am needing to be within reasonable commute to Duluth, within 15 miles considering how I hear traffic can be around that area as even 15 miles could take 30+ minutes.

I appreciate that map, that's a great visual tool for me to use in deciding on an area, there are just tons of rental houses all in Gwinnett and beyond what we are looking to find as far as home features, I was wanting to help narrow it down by area, too.

I would ideally be able to stay in the rental house for quite a while and perhaps do a lease purchase at a later date, since I know we will likely want to stay there 5 years or more, so it's really important that I figure out what is the best area for us to be in long-term.

I really want to be in a less commercial area off the beaten path, but still within 10 minutes of shopping, parks, etc. Your descriptions are helpful in me being able to determine what areas I should be looking at, not like I want to go driving around the whole county (it seems fairly big) to figure it out lol )

Thank you so much for your input!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
All of Gwinnett is where outsiders/transplants are welcome.

We had less than 200,000 people when I was born here and now have over 800,000. Most of the people I went to school with were from the northeast or midwest.

Where are you commuting to?

You will hear more about Dacula, Hamilton Mill, Suwanee, and Buford because they are new areas and growing very quickly, but also further away from town.

Areas around Snelleville, Lawrenceville, and Lilburn can be equally nice, but they are older and were the new and up and coming areas of the past. They often have large nice areas, but more care needs to be taken to pick what side of town to move into. The areas that are mostly single family homes with few apartments and townhomes held value much better and the schools stayed nicer.

Largely the way I would describe Gwinnett is to create linear lines leading out from Atlanta.

The strip on the west side has alot more roads (85, buford highway, peachtree industrial). It is also near the river and North Fulton, which is the nice side of town. There are more jobs, including well paying ones nearby and better job access to places like North Point mall/Alpharetta and Peachtree Corners. So you tend to find alot of premium and choice property developments....older near Norcross and newer near Suwannee going further out of Atlanta. However you also find alot more apartments with lower income families, industrial areas, office areas, etc... There is more going on in general in the extreme positive and negative directions, but many of the county's nicest communities are in this strip.

The area near I-85, but southeast and south of 316, is further away from the wealth of Atlanta's northside, but there are still lots of business parks, tract housing, apartment complexes, etc.. This tends to be the county's least desirable tract, because of how the schools are affected by the high amount of apartments and lack of higher end housing.

The strip further south, especially south of US 29 is getting further away from I-85 and there are fewer larger roads. This means fewer apartments. The area is mostly single-family homes, less businesses, less industrial areas. These areas have stayed more desirable, since they are more like traditional suburbs with commuting access to Atlanta or the jobs along I-85 in Gwinnett. There is less density and less going on, but less things to make the area less desirable to live around and good for quiet bedroom suburbs.

The very southern strip/tip of the county, south of US78, is similar but not as nice... simply because it is so far from I-85 and all the jobs the county has to offer. The intra-county commute starts to get too long for most people and there is enough housing stock just to the north/west. There are, however, a few nice extremely low-density high acreage areas and a few lakes that have a few nice spots, but the schools are just average compared to well regarded ones nearby.

I could show you maps and data all day to back this up, but I'm going to limit it to one that I think will be most helpful and recommend you should 'overlay' with the county school cluster map in your mind. School's drive desirability.

http://www.atlantaregional.com/File%...orkersLive.pdf

Look at where the median home prices hold strong and the immediate nearby areas. (the only word of caution to issue about this map; it doesn't show the character of the area... what else is there... is it all single-family housing, low-density/high-density, are their businesses in the area, etc.. Some areas have expensive single-family homes, but lots of cheaper townhomes hold down the median price) What it does show... is those dark blue blobs are desirable to people by choice for various reasons or another. The trick is read mine and other comments about what makes each blob special and if you can afford it or if there is a good slightly cheaper area nearby that keeps the same perks.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:29 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
Where in duluth can make a big difference in commute times. If you're in some of the business park areas right off the interstate, that's an easy 15 min commute from buford. But if it's deep inside like near medlock bridge, that can take an hour.
It's pretty far out from the city, yeah but some people like that. You know the fresh air, the trees, all the friendly people and smiling faces, the absence of driveby shootings.

OK I was just kidding about that last one. Don't email me people.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:00 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Something else to look into is if the job is actually in Duluth.

A lot of the Johns Creek community is in the 30097 zip code, which is actually served by the Duluth post office. Back when the area was unincorporated, all of the businesses used Duluth for their mailing address. I think Johns Creek is allowed to be used now, but some may still use Duluth on some of their materials.

The reason this makes a difference is because that portion of what used to be called Duluth is actually in Fulton county and the Chattahoochee River makes the border between Fulton and Gwinnett counties in that area. There are not many bridges that cross the river, so you want to try to make sure you don't find yourself having to cross it daily for your commute if you don't have to.

Aside from that, cwkimbro's post is extremely accurate. It contains a lot more information about Gwinnett county than I know about, I just used some of the logic that she discussed where I stayed as close to the river and Fulton county as I could and it seemed to be a good choice. I do find myself dropping into Johns Creek often for shopping and dining options and I like the proximity, but I'm glad I don't have to do it during commuter hours. I also like being able to pop down to the Forum shops pretty easily as well as jumping up to Mall of Georgia without taking I-85. It is true what she said about there being more offices and some apartments in the area, but I feel pretty strongly that the Peachtree Industrial corridor is a pretty stable and good are to be in. If you have kids, I might try to stay on the Suwanee side of Sugarloaf to be in the Peacthree Ridge school district. Duluth cluster isn't bad, (at least, not yet) but Peachtree Ridge is a bit better.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:03 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organicsweetie View Post
Thanks for such a thought out response!

I am needing to be within reasonable commute to Duluth, within 15 miles considering how I hear traffic can be around that area as even 15 miles could take 30+ minutes.

I appreciate that map, that's a great visual tool for me to use in deciding on an area, there are just tons of rental houses all in Gwinnett and beyond what we are looking to find as far as home features, I was wanting to help narrow it down by area, too.

I would ideally be able to stay in the rental house for quite a while and perhaps do a lease purchase at a later date, since I know we will likely want to stay there 5 years or more, so it's really important that I figure out what is the best area for us to be in long-term.

I really want to be in a less commercial area off the beaten path, but still within 10 minutes of shopping, parks, etc. Your descriptions are helpful in me being able to determine what areas I should be looking at, not like I want to go driving around the whole county (it seems fairly big) to figure it out lol )

Thank you so much for your input!!
Yea I am kind of curious... There is a big difference between working in Johns Creek (there are offices off of States Bridge Road and near the intersection of Medlock Bridge and McGinnis Ferry), Duluth proper (near Peachtree industrial are some industrial/office parks), and Duluth unicorporated (near Gwinnett Place Mall and Pleasant Hill @ I-85; There are lots of offices here and NCR, but the area is really midway between Lawrenceville, Lilburn, and Duluth), and Sugarloaf @ I-85. All of these areas have a Duluth zip code.

If you can provide which area or what major intersection the job is near you can get some really good recommendations.

The good news ... there are alot of nice areas all around in total. You might also want to consider... how permanent is this employer? Does he need to keep commuting access to Atlanta proper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta