Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2012, 07:15 PM

7 posts, read 26,297 times

Advertisements

I'm under contract on a home built in 1999 located in North Fulton. They don't have any window screens. According to my realtor, I'm told this is a common thing in this area. From where I moved from, we always had window screens. Is what my realtor telling me true?

Also, a few of the windows are fogging up (bad seal). Is this something that can be repaired or does it need to be replaced?

Thanks,

mtnbkr1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 07:34 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,611 times
You can replace the glass without replacing the entire window.

I have never heard of windows without screens being a common theme although I will note that I rarely leave the windows open (except this time of year) and even then it is only a few select windows.

Just a note, I have an older home that had windows where the seals broke and needed to be repaired. I just replaced all my windows - new windows have a gtd for life on the seals. At some point it is going to be more cost efficient for you to replace all the windows rather than keep fixing seals.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:09 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
We're in North Fulton, and our house, built around the same time as the one the OP is looking at, has screens. I would hate not being to open the windows.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:13 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
A lot of houses come with screens on the back windows only, but not the front ones.

You can look at the back windows and see if there are any notches to slide the screens into. If there are, the house probably once upon a time came with screens and an owner down the line took them off.

My house is like this. No screen holders for the front, but the back has them. The previous owner took all the screens off the windows, but I found them up in the attic. If it looks like your house should have screens, look in the garage, attic, crawl spaces, etc. because the owner will usually leave them for you somewhere like that.

As for windows, my inspector noticed the same problem with a couple of mine. What happens is the seal starts leaking and moisture starts getting into the gas pocket between the window panes. I think there are companies out there that can suck out the moisture and fix the seals for you, but most people recommend just getting new windows because by the time the seals leak you probably need new windows anyway.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:22 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr1 View Post
I'm under contract on a home built in 1999 located in North Fulton. They don't have any window screens. According to my realtor, I'm told this is a common thing in this area. From where I moved from, we always had window screens. Is what my realtor telling me true?

Also, a few of the windows are fogging up (bad seal). Is this something that can be repaired or does it need to be replaced?

Thanks,

mtnbkr1
I think with -some- homes starting in the mid 80s, but especially the 90s people who were never going to open their windows started not keeping screens on them to allow more light pass in and keep clear views outside. I'm not sure how pervasive it is, but I have noticed it on houses driving/walking by. Although what ATLTJL said about the front/back is interesting. I didn't consider that.

If it is important to you to have them, price them, and mention it on the inspection report.

And that is an issue with cheap double-paned windows. I really don't know, but make sure you find out first. Window replacement can be expensive!

I would find out how much and try to use that an excuse to lower the price, so you have funds on hand to replace.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:49 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
The lack of screens can be an aesthetic choice, especially on a home for sale. The windows look cleaner, more open and inviting as well as letting more light in during photography and showing. As others have mentioned, the screens may be stored somewhere in the house.

Regarding the failed windows, you may be able to replace just the sash for a fraction of the cost of an entire window...just depends on the design. That way, you can reap the energy savings of the newest technology and get the consistent look you desire. We used Home Depot/Perimeter to order from Jeld-Wen. This was about 7 years ago but I'm sure someone has 'sash replacement' kits available.

IF you can find the name of the original window manufacturer, I'd give them a chance to 'do something' for you. Couldn't hurt to try AND their replacements should fit properly. Of course, if too many have failed and the company won't help, I'd look for a higher quality company.

By the bye, many single-hung(only the lower sash moves) windows had/have screens only on the bottom half...not a great look for the front of the house. A screen that fills the entire window frame is much cleaner looking, but more rare these days.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:52 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,369,560 times
Our North Fulton house was built in 1996 by John Weiland. It came with window screens for all windows, front and back. But some people in our neighborhood took them out (from the front windows anyway) to make the house look nicer.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:54 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
You can make your own screens easily and cheaply. Parts are available at any hardware store. Although, installation might be difficult if you are working high off the ground.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:40 AM

7 posts, read 26,297 times
I appreciate the responses. I was tempted to ask for a subsidy since the screens are gone. There are obvious mounting points for the screens but either the current, or previous owner to the house dumped them. I guess it's not terribly expensive to get screens.

Thanks.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:43 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr1 View Post
I appreciate the responses. I was tempted to ask for a subsidy since the screens are gone. There are obvious mounting points for the screens but either the current, or previous owner to the house dumped them. I guess it's not terribly expensive to get screens.

Thanks.
If your windows are a 'stock' size, any home improvement store will have replacements. If you have one side of the house that gets blasted by the sun, you might consider a 'solar' screen...not the full solar screen that you contract a dealer for, but a replacement screen that is just a bit darker/heavier to allow less sunlight through. You would generally want to use that screen on all windows on that side of the house IF the windows are easily viewed from the outside(consistency, donchaknow ).

BTW, you most likely don't have to install the screens from the outside on a ladder. With a little patience, you will be able to line up the new screens with the anchors already in place and install the screens from the safety on the INside of the window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta