Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:44 PM

472 posts, read 809,265 times

Advertisements

In wake of the elections and CNN's free publicity, I wanted to share this with all of you. Is it sad that a comedy show has more knowledgeable viewers than those of news sources. Fox ranked least. A close race-to the finish followed by CNN. NPR listeners were most informed.

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/m...orst-informed/

Discuss. What does this mean for liberal media? What does it mean for conservative media?

Also, for your reference:

The November 2012 rankings of most popular news sources:

Top 15 Most Popular News Websites
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 11:21 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
In wake of the elections and CNN's free publicity, I wanted to share this with all of you. Is it sad that a comedy show has more knowledgeable viewers than those of news sources. Fox ranked least. A close race-to the finish followed by CNN. NPR listeners were most informed.
That may simply mean that the folks who watch the Daily Show and/or NPR are simply a more informed audience in general than those who watch Fox News. I suspect most of them obtain their news from multiple sources, and that their "more informed" status is not necessarily due to the Daily Show or to NPR, tho I suspect neither one hurts that state.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:27 PM

472 posts, read 809,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
That may simply mean that the folks who watch the Daily Show and/or NPR are simply a more informed audience in general than those who watch Fox News. I suspect most of them obtain their news from multiple sources, and that their "more informed" status is not necessarily due to the Daily Show or to NPR, tho I suspect neither one hurts that state.
It's a standard measure. I think the daily show was thrown in just to compare how poor our news broadcast stations are in the US. Personally, I only use BBC and NPR for my news. I was glad to see this.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:52 PM

276 posts, read 430,703 times
If I use myself as an example (I love the Daily Show and Colbert Report and watch them daily), I get my news from probably 10 sources almost daily. I mainly use Facebook and Twitter to subscribe to newsfeeds. I get my news from The Economist, The Week, CNN, HuffPo, ABC, MSNBC, Bloomberg, NYT and others. I'm would think my news aggregation is not that uncommon. Personally, I feel satire is richer when you know the source material.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:05 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
It's anecdotal.

You might find that readers of The Onion are more informed than readers of the New York Times or that viewers of professional wrestling have higher salaries than viewers of professional sailing. I wouldn't be surprised if viewers of South Park know more about international relations than viewers of 60 Minutes.

Just like one study found that atheists know more about the Bible than evangelical Christians or average Jewish people.

You can find interesting statistics all over the place. What does it all mean? All it really means is that the Daily Show seems to appeal to an informed crowd. Which if you think about it, is really the only way the show is funny. If you're not informed, the show kind of makes no sense.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:31 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
I think it shows that our media has so totally bought into the "staying neutral to the point of ignoring lies" paradigm that the only forums that will "call the balls and strikes" is the Daily Show. And the only media forum that will completely cover all sides of a story right down to the nuances and subtleties is NPR.

The American mainstream corporate media to include CNN, FOX, CBS, ABC, NBC, Cox media, New York Times, Wall Street Journal and what have you, are not capable of consistently of covering news stories from every angle anymore. The American mainstream media has really turned into a total piece of corporatized yellow journalism tabloid crap.

The Guardians of the Fourth Estate has left the henhouse. And now it is left to a comedy show and a non-profit radio station to step in and stand guard over the truth.

That is my takeaway from this survey.

Quote:

Survey: NPR’s listeners best-informed, Fox viewers worst-informed | Poynter.

Discuss. What does this mean for liberal media? What does it mean for conservative media?

Old 11-14-2012, 08:05 AM

738 posts, read 1,377,165 times
I think it's interesting that people with no news exposure were better-informed than those who watch Fox News.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:20 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:

FYI: DON"T CLICK ON THAT LINK. ^^^This link sent me to a "sex scandal" youtube video that claims to have nude Emma Watson photos. And now my semantec has quarantined a security threat.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:36 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,588 times
I listen to npr obsessively, I don't watch any television news. They're just awful. I watch Stewart amd Colbert onine and the shows are definitely for the well informed. The premise of this article is an ecological fallacy.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:10 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
I am frequently horrified/amused by the amount of people I know who accept the slanted opinions of traditional newscasts as fact. I finally canceled the AJC, and got a subscription to The Week. It's fascinating to see the same issues approached from two completely different viewpoints.

I love the Daily Show. The Colbert Report is sometimes too silly for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta