Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,080 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have just started looking into buying a home and want to buy a place (house preferably) that isn't too far OTP. I work in Smyrna and my husband works in Inman Park, and ideally we want to find a home that isn't too much of a commute for either of us. We don't have kids yet, but plan to start trying soon.

I'm not from Atlanta and am still trying to wrap my head around this whole private vs. public school debacle. We are trying to weigh how important it is to be in one of the "better" school districts versus finding a home that suits our lifestyle right now.

We're still like 6-7 years out from even having a child ready to go to elementary school, but I wanted some perspective from you all as to how much weight the school district should carry as we are looking to buy. We could probably afford private school (mind you I haven't researched it a ton), but I do think its nice to have the option of some decent public schools too for later on down the road.

We want to spend under 300K on a home, and have looked some at Smyrna (King Springs Elem), but all of the negative feedback we've been hearing about schools recently has gotten us concerned. For example, the elementary school seems good, but then the middle and high school doesn't...so then what do you do? Sell and move again or put them in private school?

We both love to run, so proximity to green space and running trails are important (love the trails at Cochran Shoals, Silver Comet, Roswell, etc), and we're big foodies and enjoy cooking too so having some good restaurants, and maybe a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods nearby would be great. I know there probably isn't the perfect location to meet all of our needs, but at least some of them would be nice.

Any perspective on school districts or locations to explore that aren't too far OTP is more than welcome.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 09:57 AM

738 posts, read 1,377,880 times
I can't help with schools, but you might take a look at the Riverside neighborhood. It's intown, just below the river on the west side, so would be an easy commute to both Inman Park and Smyrna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: