Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 06:22 PM

100 posts, read 142,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL75 View Post
Thank you all for your replies.

Thanks for stepping up first, Seatlien. I had looked at NA initially (NA and Grady were the first two that caught my eye) but some things I'd read made me second guess NA (some noise about a huge cheating scandal). I may need to take a second glance at them now that that may have died down.
KittyJo: We aren't sure we want to continue on the IB track. Whereas I know it would be phenomenal for his college apps, the rigorous curriculum has been a strain on our relationship at times and though I feel my son has the intelligence, he has not always had the motivation and I realize may be its time to rethink the IB program. Plus he is very interested in engineering so Grady's Eng Academy drew me in. Its not a prerequisite but its a plus.
Red92s, I've taken a quick look at Decatur, too. I'll probably try to tour that HS as well, when I'm down in a few weeks.
cqholt, I agree. House pricing is fairly different; that combined with a few good comments about Jackson made me look twice at the school.

Thank you all for your input. It helps!
That is interesting about the IB track. I have heard from other parents that it is very intensive and requires true dedication from the student (more than AP classes, for example). Good luck, I hope you find the right school for your son!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 02:32 PM

10 posts, read 22,528 times
Kittjo-IB is no joke. It's way more rigorous than even my HS experience. But I feel even having gone through it for these past 3 years he will be better off even if he does not continue. It's for serious diehard academias. My son is not that. He's a typical 14 year old. It's stressed me out. Lol. I feel like I was in middle school too.

On another note, as far as the overcrowding. I had a convo with one of the academy leaders today as a precursor to my visit at the end of the month. He said Grady should be at 1100-1200 students but they are at 1450. Due to redistriting there is only one MS FEEDER now, Inman. Which will help. They allowed rising seniors to remain so they could graduate as a class so when they matriculate this spring, that should help as well.

Feeling positive about Grady right now. Again I appreciate the feedback.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:35 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL75 View Post
Kittjo-IB is no joke. It's way more rigorous than even my HS experience. But I feel even having gone through it for these past 3 years he will be better off even if he does not continue. It's for serious diehard academias. My son is not that. He's a typical 14 year old. It's stressed me out. Lol. I feel like I was in middle school too.

On another note, as far as the overcrowding. I had a convo with one of the academy leaders today as a precursor to my visit at the end of the month. He said Grady should be at 1100-1200 students but they are at 1450. Due to redistriting there is only one MS FEEDER now, Inman. Which will help. They allowed rising seniors to remain so they could graduate as a class so when they matriculate this spring, that should help as well.

Feeling positive about Grady right now. Again I appreciate the feedback.
Centennial Place, K-8, also feeds into Grady. Its across the downtown connector, in the old Techwood Homes area, sandwiched between GT and Downtown.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:43 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatlien View Post
You may also consider visiting North Atlanta High if you think that may be a possibility - it's more comparable to Grady than Jackson.
However, the area around North Atlanta is some of the priciest real estate in the city.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:41 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,874 times
If you are trying to get into Grady HS at a lower price, then look into the areas that feed into Grady that have poorer elementary schools: Centenial Place (as Cqholt mentioned) and Hope Hill. They will be less expensive because of their elementary schools, but that won't matter to you because you have HS kid. (of course you have to look into the safety, and resale values of the areas--I think Atlantic Station-Home Park, and parts of Old Fourth Ward might be worth looking into). Link to map of all Atlanta school zones.
School Zones / School Zone Boundary Maps

Old 01-23-2013, 01:52 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
If you are trying to get into Grady HS at a lower price, then look into the areas that feed into Grady that have poorer elementary schools: Centenial Place (as Cqholt mentioned) and Hope Hill. They will be less expensive because of their elementary schools, but that won't matter to you because you have HS kid. (of course you have to look into the safety, and resale values of the areas--I think Atlantic Station-Home Park, and parts of Old Fourth Ward might be worth looking into). Link to map of all Atlanta school zones.
School Zones / School Zone Boundary Maps

Also, Howell Station-Knight Park.

If not only interested in single-family homes, also look into Centennial Place, a majority of Downtown, and the northern part of Castleberry Hill.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:32 PM

472 posts, read 809,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Grady's crowding issue will start to effect the quality of education if something is not done about it.

There is a huge price difference. Avg. Inman Park house price is at least $400K while Grant Park, East Lake, and Kirkwood is maybe $250K.
What's interesting is I heard on the radio this morning that there is talks to consolidate HIGH SCHOOLS. Unlikely, and I don't have any article to back that.

If we have to come through that, many schools will suffer.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:54 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
What's interesting is I heard on the radio this morning that there is talks to consolidate HIGH SCHOOLS. Unlikely, and I don't have any article to back that.

If we have to come through that, many schools will suffer.
In DeKalb County. APS went through a painful redistricting last year.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,147,380 times
Default Parents: Your Experience with IB Schools

T

Old 01-25-2013, 08:32 AM

10 posts, read 22,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Centennial Place, K-8, also feeds into Grady. Its across the downtown connector, in the old Techwood Homes area, sandwiched between GT and Downtown.
Cqholt
I visited Grady this past tuesday and spoke with the leader of the engineering academy. Both confirmed only Inman feeds to Grady (Centennial may feed to Inman, but Inman is the only middle school that feeds to Grady). Sooooo, now I'm confused.

I toured Grady, Lassiter (EC) and Walton (EC). The guidance counselor I met with at Lassiter had high praises for Grady (her husband is a math teacher there). At one point, she had to stop herself because she felt like she was selling Grady too much and not Lassiter.

Still fairly confused although we did cross Walton off the list. Too big. Class sizes of 36:1. Lassiter was really nice.

So right now its Grady, Lassiter, maybe SS/Dunwoody or stay in CLT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta