Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 05:30 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Auburn is pretty racist...I know people who personally went there that have actually had things done to them that was racially motivated like their dorm door scratch with the n word. Never heard that about UGA.
Auburn and Ole Miss are the most racist schools. UGA isn't racist... it's just white.. all the students harmless and intelligent. You know UGA integrated before Tech and GSU did right? I had this debate the other day with a black friend. Bro freaking Maya Angelou recently spoke at UGA. Deborah Roberts went to UGA.

University of Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look at all the UGA alumni who are AA despite UGA's history. I mean, the VP of the confederacy was a UGA alumnus. It's hard to shake a reputation like that. It isn't UGA's fault. It's Georgia's fault.

"Robert Benham, first African-American chief justice of the Supreme Court of Georgia"

"Charlayne Hunter-Gault, author, international journalist and broacaster for the The New York Times, WRC-TV, CNN National Public Radio(NPR), Public Broadcasting Service(PBS) and The MacNeil/Lehrer Report. She was the first African-American to graduate from the university. The Holmes-Hunter academic building is named after her and Hamilton Holmes"

"Rodney D. Bennett, President of University of Southern Mississippi, former Dean of Students at UGA, first African-American President of a white majority college or university in the state of Mississippi"

They had a black homecoming queen and king.
UGA marks accomplishments, struggles during desegregation anniver | www.ajc.com

And I already showed you that UGA's has more black students compared to all other comparable schools from Michigan to Ole Miss. 8%

This comment is from 2005

"U Michigan...it's quite diverse, international, liberal, and its close to Detroit so racism isn't a problem. I'm from FL though and I visited a lot of schools. Some of the public universities in the south may have some racist attitudes floating around, but I've never heard of racism causing any serious problems like threats or any violence. One of my best friends goes to UGA and I made a comment that the almost the whole school is white...but the few minority students that go there get treated just as well as everybody else. I'm not aware of any schools where minorities might feel THREATENED to go and attend. Does anybody else?"

What are the most racist colleges? - College Confidential

I'm so tired of hearing from black people who could never get into UGA how "racist" the school is. They aren't racist there..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 05:33 PM

And don't give me crap about how UGA is sooo republican. The Clarke county voted democrat in the election. 4,000 people wrote in Charles Darwin in the election. It's mixed there. UGA is huge on the environmental work and conservation. Many are republican because we live in a republican state..but it's still mixed.

smh GSU nonsense. Stuff like that is how smart black people use to get tricked into going to this school. Sorry for the tangent. This isn't directed at you..just people in general.

Knocking the better school's reputation for no reason. Inferiority complex.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:17 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
GSU's Presidential Scholarship + extra scholarships. I commuted for a while. Can't commute at Tech. You will die.
Of course you can commute. I commuted to Tech. Lots of people do and did. Even the GT Trolley picks up at MidTown if you don't drive.

Quote:
I'm not down or pro anything. I'm telling the truth. Pro and down depends on how you perceive the truth.
No, I think you are reasoning from an agenda.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:24 PM

I haven't run across anyone who commutes, but they must be smarter than I. I could never do it. I hated it with GSU. All that traffic..hell no. Luckily GSU is easy.

Yes, my agenda is to reveal the hidden truth about GSU. Many people feel tricked after coming to GSU. I'm just the only one who gives a crap enough to let it all out. A small, small minority group GSU with UGA and Tech just because it's a research university. No. N. O. That is wrong. That is a lie. That is deceit. It's not fair to the every day high school student who is tricked into believing that. Dichloro said something about wanting to give more info for students too before. It's sure as hell not fair to the people living in ATL who believe that. Maybe it was SOMEWHAT true before, but it isn't now.

What about you mathman? Why do you defend GSU so earnestly?

http://boards.caazone.com/forumdispl...State-Panthers

Hmm..

GSU's motto: "Veritas valet et vincet"

But anyways, what do you think about GSU suffering because of increasing % of black students? Think that has anything to do with it? That was some pretty radical stuff coming from GAtoChina..even for me.

Last edited by ChefRamsey; 03-03-2013 at 06:32 PM..

Old 03-03-2013, 06:34 PM

lol hmmm

KSU vs GSU a new academic and sports rivalry

But I'm not going to do this thing again. It's very obvious who has a bias and who is lying and who isn't. It's very clear who sources and puts up links as opposed to short ended kick backs.

Let's just get on the thread topic.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I haven't run across anyone who commutes, but they must be smarter than I. I could never do it. I hated it with GSU. All that traffic..hell no. Luckily GSU is easy.
No, it takes no more smarts to commute to GT than it does to GSU.

Quote:
Yes, my agenda is to reveal the hidden truth about GSU. Many people feel tricked after coming to GSU. I'm just the only one who gives a crap enough to let it all out. A small, small minority group GSU with UGA and Tech just because it's a research university. No. N. O. That is wrong. That is a lie. That is deceit. It's not fair to the every day high school student who is tricked into believing that. Dichloro said something about wanting to give more info for students too before.
How is GSU's "badness" measured? You want to slam SPSU for some reason too and it has higher SATs than any other school other than GT or UGA (using IPEDS SAT). I really suggest you transfer to GT or UGA.

Quote:
What about you mathman? Why do you defend GSU so earnestly?

Georgia State Panthers

Hmm..

GSU's motto: "Veritas valet et vincet"
I have connections to GSU that go way back. I'm often a contrarian so if you were busy praising GSU, I'd probably bring a dose of reality.

Quote:
But anyways, what do you think about GSU suffering because of increasing % of black students? Think that has anything to do with it? That was some pretty radical stuff coming from GAtoChina..even for me.
I'd need some data.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
lol hmmm

KSU vs GSU a new academic and sports rivalry

But I'm not going to do this thing again. It's very obvious who has a bias and who is lying and who isn't. It's very clear who sources and puts up links as opposed to short ended kick backs.

Let's just get on the thread topic.
Like what?

Old 03-05-2013, 12:02 PM

472 posts, read 809,660 times
The Chef has stolen my thunder with the iPort data. I will adress some of these concerns in my next 2017 admission results thread. I'll include information about Tech and UGA as well.

Quite frankly, I'd say anyone who's posting on education threads has some sort of bent. Assuming we all live in Georgia, it's only natural that we attended a college or university in Georgia. If we went to college in the first place, many haven't.

Regarding race, please keep things civil. While it's true that URM students do tend to have lower stats on average compared to their counterparts, I don't think that is a bad thing for Georgia. Remember, Georgia is about 30% black. Do you really want 30% of our state to be uneducated, indebted far beyond their means from Morehouse and Clark? African Americans are already statistically underrepresented socioeconomically. For Atlanta and Georgia to succeed, college going students need to beat out the competition. Maybe creating a [historically] "minority" research university might not be such a bad idea? UMBC is known to be a minority bastion for sometime, and it seems to have worked well for them.

We can look at GSU's minority enrollment as a change in culture of the university. There are phenomenons that exist that may play a roll in deteriorating averages. White Flight, I'm looking at you. With White Flight comes Asian flight. However, GSU has always served minorities and non-traditional students. From it's founding as a night school, GSU has been serving those who aren't found at Tech or UGA. It's as simple as that. My only concern is that GSU isn't keep pace with the development of other non-research universities. If GSU is to be a minority-majority school, that's great. It should still trouble any parent, educator, current student and alumni to see where GSU stands in comparison to other public colleges in Georgia.

And I'll quickly note that there is a difference in SAT/GPA of entering students of various races. This is per data provided by GSU via iPort. I'll also quickly note that the difference is nowhere near as large as it is at other schools in the state or in the nation at large. I will provide the numbers.

In fall 2012, the averages for an Asian student(historically higher performers) at GSU:
3.34 GPA and a 1,093 SAT

Black:
3.33 GPA and a 1,046 SAT

White:
3.34 GPA and a 1,134 SAT

American Indian/Native American(note, that in 2012 only 7 NA students matriculated):
3.15 GPA and a 1,074 SAT

2 or more races:
3.33 GPA and a 1,093 SAT(tied with Asian students)

Not reported:
3.38 GPA and a 1,068 SAT

https://discoverer.gsu.edu/portal/pa...ic=%25&sex=%25

So yes, black students are statistically underrepresented in the nation, as they are here at GSU. This is nothing we did not previously know. You'll see that white students outdo even Asians at GSU. Anomalies exist. Yet still, the achievement gap is not as wide at GSU. The academic trend for GSU has not changed in the past decade as Ant notes. In 2012, 1082 SAT 3.33 GPA. In 2003 = 1080 SAT 3.32 and GPA. And that is the reason for all my worry. Same with graduate education. Research productivity, citation per faculty, GRE and GPA(though not as important for graduate admissions) have also stayed about the same. Funding and rank has also been mostly unchanged apart from some programs in law and business, which I would argue are catering to post-bacc Atlantans and not traditional 21-23 year old traditional graduate students and, therefore, not a fair comparison to Tech and UGA. I also want to explicitly point out that I don't mean for GSU to compete with GA Tech and Georgia. I would, however, like to see some of these students who end up at OOS schools opt for staying in-state at GSU.

Think of this like keeping salaries going up but failing to keep up with inflation. I think this is the perfect analogy to describe what I believe is happening at Georgia State.

But more on that in my next thread.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:07 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Nearly a 100 point difference on SATs between blacks and whites at GSU lol. Looks like what I thought about the trends are true.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:47 PM

472 posts, read 809,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Nearly a 100 point difference on SATs between blacks and whites at GSU lol. Looks like what I thought about the trends are true.
Yes, but it's worse elsewhere. GSU's averages have been dropping as a whole for all races. I can't emphasize this enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta