Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:59 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,999 times

Advertisements

Okay I watch the Ebenezer service on King day, beside from Bernice King fiery speech, most of everything else was quite boring. With Dr. King stature, surely Atlanta Ebenezer service could be more creative. Also what happen to the huge parade Atlanta had in the past on King Day. This could really be a big day globally for Atlanta with the Media, and Vistors. However, the city clearly is not taking advantage of being the Birthplace of MLK, with more inspiring and festive events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 05:16 AM

644 posts, read 1,430,695 times
I agree....this man impacted the GLOBE, yet his own hometown cant put together a decent celebration in his honor.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,533 times
I agree...well at least the inauguration was on King's Day and that was enough for me

Old 01-22-2013, 08:16 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,024 times
I was surprised to learn that the children don't even have a celebration or acknowledgement of Dr. MLK, Jr. in the Atlanta Public Schools. If they are going to get the day off, they ought to understand why...especially when his home and church is just blocks from where some of these schools are located.

Atlanta is lacking in city pride in a number of ways. This is not to criticize Atlanta. It is point out an apparent fact and perhaps someone will get on the ball with city pride at some point. That goes for the sports situation (until the Falcons this year) also. In many other cities, you are almost afraid to cheer for the other team. Atlanta, not so.

So, I see the lack of MLK celebration just another example of lackluster pride in Atlanta. Again, not to criticize Atlanta - just to say that Atlanta has a number of things to be proud of as a city but it's just not promoted like you would think. I think the people in charge of that are still thinking of Atlanta as a little city in the south but it's really not anymore. They should put a boisterous northerner in charge of promoting Atlanta. LOL.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:26 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
I agree...well at least the inauguration was on King's Day and that was enough for me
Gotta admit, that was pretty impressive.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:34 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,024 times
Totally!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Gotta admit, that was pretty impressive.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:29 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
I was surprised to learn that the children don't even have a celebration or acknowledgement of Dr. MLK, Jr. in the Atlanta Public Schools. If they are going to get the day off, they ought to understand why...especially when his home and church is just blocks from where some of these schools are located.

Atlanta is lacking in city pride in a number of ways. This is not to criticize Atlanta. It is point out an apparent fact and perhaps someone will get on the ball with city pride at some point. That goes for the sports situation (until the Falcons this year) also. In many other cities, you are almost afraid to cheer for the other team. Atlanta, not so.

So, I see the lack of MLK celebration just another example of lackluster pride in Atlanta. Again, not to criticize Atlanta - just to say that Atlanta has a number of things to be proud of as a city but it's just not promoted like you would think. I think the people in charge of that are still thinking of Atlanta as a little city in the south but it's really not anymore. They should put a boisterous northerner in charge of promoting Atlanta. LOL.
I so agree with you. Atlanta MLK's day could really be a Global celebration with at 153 nations involved, which could actually start on his birthday up until the holiday itself. Consquently, the city rather focus on sports, and other events of lesser of imporantance. Oh how this city of Atlanta need Leaders with great vision.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:58 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,782,996 times
It's my understanding that the King family keeps a pretty tight lid on everything related to MLK. Maybe there are legal limitations on what they will allow?

Old 01-22-2013, 01:11 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
I have a feeling if MLK magically came back to life he would be horrified by what his terrible family is doing to his legacy, selling off his I Have A Dream speech like it's some kind of commodity.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:22 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I have a feeling if MLK magically came back to life he would be horrified by what his terrible family is doing to his legacy, selling off his I Have A Dream speech like it's some kind of commodity.
There are those who would say such behavior represents the American dream. I would not be one of them, but...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: