Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 05:15 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
I'm not embarrassed for Jersey. Not embarrassed for Chicago or Philly or Miami... I could care less about how those cities are portrayed. My concern is Atlanta.

The other thing is that those cities already have a different reputation prior to the oncast of reality shows. Atlanta does too, but not quite an as largely accepted reputation as the others mentioned. For example, no matter how down to earth you make LA seem on TV, it ALREADY had a reputation of being a city of pretension and full of fake people. And no matter how much fakeness and buffoonery you display in a reality show about NY, people ALREADY believe NY to be a city where people are no nonsense, tough and real.

Ya'll are too focused on my use of the word "embarrassed" though. As if I cry about it and am ashamed to let others know I'm from ATL. Or as if I let it cause me any lack of sleep.
I simply hate reality shows. NOT Atlanta reality shows. Include RHOJ, and RHONY, and RHOH, Real World, Making the Band, The Simple Life, Basketball Wives, Love and Hip Hop (anywhere), the Kardashian show and even the competition shows like American Idol, the Voice and X-Factor, and............ Pretty much, insert just about any reality show and competition show.
Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. I think the only shows I've ever liked watching an not got bored and restless were ABDC, So you think you can dance and Fear Factor until I got tired of watching people eat different kinds of testicles each episode (I remember one day sitting, bored watching Fear Factor episodes back to back and there were like 3 episodes straight where the dare was to eat some animal's balls... Think I was finally done with it then)

I use the word embarrassed, because I end up hearing about them just about every time I tell someone I'm from ATL no matter what kind of person I'm talking to. Examples: In Seattle at Pike Market talking to one of the guys selling fish. Asian dude. - "Oh, you're from ATL?" I respond "Yeah, I'm from ATL" and they say "I never been there, but I watch Housewives of Atlanta with my girl. Is it really like that?"
In Coronado, CA talking to a US Navy LCDR - "I'm from ATL" and she says "OH... ATL huh? Hotlanta... I like that Housewives of ATL show. But I hear it's hard to find any straight men down there"
In Washington DC talking to the airport taxi/limo driver - "So Atlanta? Never been there. I heard there's a lot of strip clubs." me: "yeah, that's about right." him: "Do you watch Love and Hip Hop?" me: "No, no I don't." Then he goes on to telling me about something he saw on there.

I get sick of hearing about one of these shows almost every time I tell people I'm from ATL. I could care less of how they can also make other cities look. Makes it no better.
See I don't justify people ignorance, I won't get mad at these stupid shows. I just view the people who take them serous as ignorant people and I feel sorry for them.

Ok Housewives of Atlanta show? they are a bunch rich wealthy women who just argue all the time. Soo you telling me the people your met think Atlanta is nothing but rich wealthy women who just argue all the time? think it about? Love and hiphop is a bunch of rich rappers/ producers and their wives or girlfriend arguing. So Atlanta is 5 million rich rappers? the logic is sad.

The reason I brought up others cities because people in other cities don't care about these reality shows. Caring about it again makes Atlanta look very insecure and very hypersensitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm not embarrassed about the Atlanta shows any more than the other idiotic "reality" shows out there.

It is a bit curious that none of them focus on the middle class folks who make up the bulk of the ATL. Maybe that kind of reality is just too white bread for the TV moguls. However, you do get the impression they are trying to paint a picture of our town that doesn't register with many locals.

Most people in Greater LA aren't wealthy celebrities, or gangstas and etc. Hollywood paint LA the same way.

Remember the TV show MTV cribs Atlanta by default had to be third or fourth most mention city, do you think they would show regular middle class folks. No they showed Celebrities, so now is Atlanta full of celebrities? Posters wanted Hollywood to come now it's here y'all don't want it. Reality shows aren't reality anyways, people watch them because they are so out the normal.

This isn't a reality show but it goes to my point Hollywood like the upperclass.

VH1 | Single Ladies Season 2 Supertrailer - YouTube

Actually there have been middle class sitcom shows, BET's let's stay together, and 2 Tyler Peery shows. What haven't yet is a middle class white major cast sitcom base in Atlanta. Which is what Atlanta is missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 06:38 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Actually there have been middle class sitcom shows, BET's let's stay together, and 2 Tyler Peery shows. What haven't yet is a middle class white major cast sitcom base in Atlanta. Which is what Atlanta is missing.
I think my reservation about the "reality shows" is their obsession with supposed wealth and celebrity.

In earlier TV shows about the ATL (Designing Women, Matlock, etc.) the characters were also based on stereotypes of the south. However, they didn't seem to celebrate the crass.

But now I just sound like a grumpy old geezer.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:39 AM

416 posts, read 972,636 times
Every one of the white ladies is blond....where are the brunettes to represent??

Old 01-28-2013, 01:15 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
Is this how Hollywood is getting back at Atlanta for stealing all their business?! 'They' create a bunch of realty shows that trash the city and falsely portray all its citizens as either ghetto, snobby, or undead. Damn them!
Plus they sent us Kenya Moore...Atlanta should really have beef with LA now.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Yeah, dunno how anyone could think season 2 was better than 1 or 3. I personally love 3 the most, due to the sci-fi wackiness.

The Walking Dead is fantastic. The most watched drama in calbe history. All while featuring Atlanta and Coweta, along with Sweetwater, Terrapin, and Red Brick beers. What's not to love!

Odd how Atlanta can support one of the best TV shows in modern history while producing some of the lowest quality TV shows possible (those damn reality shows).

Kind of like Atlanta and rap. We had one of the greatest rap groups of all time emerge from our fair city, while we unfortunately continue to produce some of the worst cRAP ever produced.
Worst crap ever?? Thats a bit much. People are buying the product right?

Old 01-28-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's hard to get enthused about being known as a C list kind of town, but if that's our reality so be it.

I personally have never run across ladies like the ones in these TV shows but maybe they are more common than I realize.
All the Housewive shows bring drama, but the Atlanta one has the most ratings. I think mainly because it is the black housewife show. Everyone thinks black women are the craziest, so they tune in for the drama. Although those New Jersey women are pretty wild too. Isnt it women who these show are geared to?

Old 01-28-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

I said I'm embarrassed by those who's embarrassed feeling is projecting an image of Atlanta it means Atlanta has insecurity. That these shows some how mean more to Atlanta then other cities.
What about all the angry women who didnt want Shawty Lo to get his show. They were pretty aggressive about hiding his story and keeping it concealed from America. Are you calling them insecure as well?

Old 01-28-2013, 02:11 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,548 times
There is also another show based in Atlanta on TLC called "The Sisterhood". It follows the lives of 5 " first ladies" or pastors wives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta