Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 02:34 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
Of the large airports, Atlanta's airport must be one the ugliest and dullest. There is no sense of grandeur even in the international terminal (considering it was built recently, its not very impressive). However, i guess the layout is a very effective design for moving tons of people.
When I'm flying, I just want to get to the gate quickly and back home quickly. I don't care so much about the aesthetics of the airport regardless of the location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 04:53 PM

283 posts, read 360,593 times
Echoing everyone else's comments. I think maybe just some new exterior architectural additions around the dropoff/pickup areas could help pretty it up but no need for a major structural overhaul. I'd rather get rid of the smoking rooms. Barf. Or slap a new coat of paint on the terminal walls.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:55 PM

283 posts, read 360,593 times
On second thought, the underground/plane train concourse connector walkway could use some help... I rather not walk through a cave.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:27 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickNet View Post
On second thought, the underground/plane train concourse connector walkway could use some help... I rather not walk through a cave.
What would you recommend it be?! It's an UNDERGROUND TUNNEL for crying out loud! There are airplanes taxiing back and forth above you. It is what it is.

Some people will find anything to complain about ...

Old 01-31-2013, 07:15 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
I rather not walk through a cave.
Then take the Plane Train, arrivals every 2-5 minutes.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:32 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Then take the Plane Train, arrivals every 2-5 minutes.
As a frequent ATL user. I will vouch for the plane train. It is always faster. Even going one concourse over. I walk sometimes, but only if I am not in a hurry.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:50 AM

126 posts, read 231,890 times
I've beaten the Plane Train once, but that was by taking off running at full speed to the next station when the train was just closing it's doors. It's a slow ride, but it's often much faster than walking, unless you're a good rinnder.

I think that it's not so much the exterior of the terminal, but how the interior interacts with the exterior that makes a major difference. I feel like by just allowing more light into the terminals and making it more airy and such would solve some of the issues that a lot of people have with it. The exterior is dated, but it's no better than the exterior of other terminals built around the dame time. No use comparing the entire terminal to buildings like the new IND, McNamara at DTW, T4 at JFK, and the like.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:43 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Architecturally, the ATL is completely blah. Nothing to look at, at all. Inside and out, totally utilitarian. The new terminal was an ok effort at making it look better but at this point it's like putting lipstick on a pig.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:18 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickNet View Post
Echoing everyone else's comments. I think maybe just some new exterior architectural additions around the dropoff/pickup areas could help pretty it up but no need for a major structural overhaul. I'd rather get rid of the smoking rooms. Barf. Or slap a new coat of paint on the terminal walls.
Yeah. I wouldn't mind seeing a fresh coat of paint, but really, there are bigger fish to fry than redoing the entire exterior.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:21 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
More skylighting really would help the interior and could save energy. But I agree with the general sentiment here: there's really no need to have a fantastic-looking airport. We've got over 200 gates, and you can generally get from any one gate to any other gate in about 15 minutes. Can any other airport in the world say the same?

This is the sort of area where ATL excels, instead of aesthetics:

Atlanta airport best for amenities, business travel in US | Reuters

We've got a beastly flight network and schedule that only a handful of other airports in the world could accommodate.

I would like to see yet more emphasis put on the traveler experience for people on long layovers. The only problem is that there's basically zero space for expansion. Unlike some airports, Atlanta's concourse footprint is absurdly lean and basically makes use of every inch of space. So it's tough to expand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: