Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:19 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,142,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
400k is just kind of embarassing
Not really. City population is a political boundary. It matters when discussing what impacts that boundary.

No realistic discussion on "city" population is really about city population but in reality, metro population.

It's very challenging when cities are landlocked by suburbs and can't annex land.

Atlanta is not going to have enough infill and go vertical enough to hit 650 anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 10:22 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,140,627 times
Jacksonville and Phoenix must obviously be very important cities and destinations then.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:28 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
It's very challenging when cities are landlocked by suburbs and can't annex land.
The only way to annex is southwest of the city. Never understood why Atlanta didn't annex Fulton Industrial area? Lots of chances to have tax revenue there.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:41 AM

6,562 posts, read 12,057,994 times
One disadvantage of Atlanta's low population is that is what causes the crime rate to be high, since the statistics only look at city populations, and it creates the negative reputation and perception that Atlanta is a lot more dangerous than it is. The crime rate of the entire metro area on the other hand, is closer to the national average.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:10 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,443,661 times
Just saw this article under the top destination people are moving too. Guess who was number one ?

1. Atlanta
For the third year in a row, Atlanta was the country's most popular place to move last year. A diverse city with many cultural attractions, residents enjoy the perks of big cities like New York and Chicago without the sub-freezing temperatures. Atlanta is home to the world's largest aquarium, numerous critically acclaimed restaurants and a thriving cultural scene. For a city as in-demand as Atlanta, homes are affordable, with a median home sale price of $200,100.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,140,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Just saw this article under the top destination people are moving too. Guess who was number one ?

1. Atlanta
For the third year in a row, Atlanta was the country's most popular place to move last year. A diverse city with many cultural attractions, residents enjoy the perks of big cities like New York and Chicago without the sub-freezing temperatures. Atlanta is home to the world's largest aquarium, numerous critically acclaimed restaurants and a thriving cultural scene. For a city as in-demand as Atlanta, homes are affordable, with a median home sale price of $200,100.
Where are the stats for this? As far as I'm concerned, Dallas and Houston are growing at a much faster rate then Atlanta. D.C. too.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 AM

101 posts, read 154,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post

1. Atlanta
Maybe in 1992 this was relevant. Not today. DC and the Texas cities are the fastest in the nation. In fact I've heard DC has been #1 for the past 5 years.

Source:
D.C. ranked as most popular place to move in 2012 - WTOP.com

Although I disagree about Oregon and DC's climate behind temperate and the fact that neither city is in the Sunbelt and the third fact that DC is in the Northeast corridor. So take it as you may.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:33 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
What is significant about 650,000?

Given the nature of how Atlanta developed and the incredible waste of land in the northern third of the city (Buckhead up to the river) occupied by very expensive homes and land, I don't see it happening and the city's growth while positive (which is great compared to decades of decline) was very modest from 200-2010.
I fail to see how having how having beautiful and historic neighborhoods in this area is 'an incredible waste of land'

Old 01-29-2013, 07:48 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,142,497 times
Quote:
I fail to see how having how having beautiful and historic neighborhoods in this area is 'an incredible waste of land'
I'm not talking about any historic areas. I'm talking about the countryish northern portion of the city.

It's a city, not the country. Yes it's a waste of land.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,250,588 times
I saw that list recently and it took me a minute to figure out how it was worded. They are trying to make it sound like we are the fastest growing city. What they did was got numbers from rental truck companies. It isn't people moving from other cities to here but Atlantans moving around in Atlanta. Our mortgage crisis caused a good many to be displaced and we have a just as many people moving into up and coming nabes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta