Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 09:46 AM

612 posts, read 2,779,975 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why the poster would be getting beat up over wanting to teach in a middle class area. What am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 10:50 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,400,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh891 View Post
I don't understand why the poster would be getting beat up over wanting to teach in a middle class area. What am I missing?
You're missing the fact that some posters around here just love to throw the race card up every chance they get. If the OP had asked about where they could find an all-black school to teach in, no one would say anything about it- ask for an all-white school though, and all hell would break loose.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:53 AM

849 posts, read 3,530,255 times
Default what you're missing is

that teachers are hired by an entire district not an individual school. The other thing is that one reason the "bad" school have gotten that way is that there are very few teachers with the guts and commitment to go into them and bring their superior skills to bear. My husband just came home from substitute teaching in the "ghetto" in St. Pete in "varying exceptionalities" and had no problem. I guess it's because he doesn't have an attitude that he's above it all and "deserves" a middle class school whatever that is. BTW he is a white, middle aged guy. He is very firm with the kids and they eat it up. They know he cares about them and respects their humanity by relating to them in positive way. Yes, he sometimes has incorrigibles who need to be written up and he does it but he makes every effort to get thru to them first.
I hope the OP's find their nice, sanitized school because they are doing the "ghetto" kids no favors, inflicting their attitudes on them.

Any school that wants a committed, enthusiastic highly qualified language arts teacher seeking alternate certification can PM us.

Quote:

Old 01-22-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
that teachers are hired by an entire district not an individual school. The other thing is that one reason the "bad" school have gotten that way is that there are very few teachers with the guts and commitment to go into them and bring their superior skills to bear. My husband just came home from substitute teaching in the "ghetto" in St. Pete in "varying exceptionalities" and had no problem. I guess it's because he doesn't have an attitude that he's above it all and "deserves" a middle class school whatever that is. BTW he is a white, middle aged guy. He is very firm with the kids and they eat it up. They know he cares about them and respects their humanity by relating to them in positive way. Yes, he sometimes has incorrigibles who need to be written up and he does it but he makes every effort to get thru to them first.
I hope the OP's find their nice, sanitized school because they are doing the "ghetto" kids no favors, inflicting their attitudes on them.

Any school that wants a committed, enthusiastic highly qualified language arts teacher seeking alternate certification can PM us.
I guess when the OP said they wanted to teach in a middle class, diverse school that was just code for rich, well behaved and white? WTH?

I think some people must have a long weekend from work and are bored....

This is certainly not a nice welcome for educators looking to move to this area. In fact, being from Florida myself, these are the attitudes we were trying to escape. For all anyone knows, the poster could be black.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:46 AM

849 posts, read 3,530,255 times
Default black or white

doesn't matter if you don't want to serve when you're in a service profession. So only middle class kids deserve nice schools and competent teachers? THAT was my point, not the OP's race. for all you know, I could be Black, Asian or OH NO Hispanic. You totally turned my point upside down. It speaks more to your attitude than mine.
What would happen if doctors only wanted to work in nice, middle class suburban hospitals? You work for the public, you supposedly serve the public, you go where the public NEEDS you to go. You don't like that, you go to a private sector establishment. That's all. BTW some of the worst behaved kids my husband has had were in the white, middle-upper class schools. Not all but a lot.

Quote:
I guess when the OP said they wanted to teach in a middle class, diverse school that was just code for rich, well behaved and white? WTH?

I think some people must have a long weekend from work and are bored....

This is certainly not a nice welcome for educators looking to move to this area. In fact, being from Florida myself, these are the attitudes we were trying to escape. For all anyone knows, the poster could be black.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:57 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,782,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
You're missing the fact that some posters around here just love to throw the race card up every chance they get. If the OP had asked about where they could find an all-black school to teach in, no one would say anything about it- ask for an all-white school though, and all hell would break loose.
Asking for an all white school would be racist. Asking for an all black schools would just mean that the teacher wishes to help poor students since most such schools are usually poor.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
doesn't matter if you don't want to serve when you're in a service profession. So only middle class kids deserve nice schools and competent teachers? THAT was my point, not the OP's race. for all you know, I could be Black, Asian or OH NO Hispanic. You totally turned my point upside down. It speaks more to your attitude than mine.
What would happen if doctors only wanted to work in nice, middle class suburban hospitals? You work for the public, you supposedly serve the public, you go where the public NEEDS you to go. You don't like that, you go to a private sector establishment. That's all. BTW some of the worst behaved kids my husband has had were in the white, middle-upper class schools. Not all but a lot.
So when, exactly, did the requirement go into place that states that all teachers need to be like Edward James Olmos in "Lean On Me", and that all doctors need to work at Grady? Last I checked, if I wanted to be a teacher in Beverly Hills as opposed to in Compton that was my choice, just as an architect can choose to work only on large custom homes rather than designing low-income housing.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Asking for an all white school would be racist. Asking for an all black schools would just mean that the teacher wishes to help poor students since most such schools are usually poor.
Man, Kev- how wide is that brush you're painting with? It must be one of those big 18" rollers. Black schools are "usually poor"? That's quite a statement.......

Old 01-22-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Well, that seems racist to me.

My daughter is mixed so if someone sees her on the way to school they would assume she is 'poor'? I would love for you to see some of the 'poor' people in my neighborhood.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
You, I believe, were the one to mention 'ghetto'.

And my attitude is fine. I am white, married to a black man and we have produced one of the most beautiful, sweet little girls you have ever seen. I just have no idea how this thread became so hostile. Again, the OP said she wanted to teach in a middle class, diverse school? And she gets beat up for it? Please, that is just taking it too far.

And, for the record, I am highly offended by you using the word 'ghetto' on behalf of my husband and daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta