Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 10:29 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,223,600 times

Advertisements

I wonder will other chains start doing this...

"Myrtice White and Cynthia Delaney took MARTA from their jobs at Peachtree Center to Underground Atlanta to do what has become a tradition for many Southerners – breakfast at Waffle House.
The excitement ended when the bills came.

“Normally, this is about $10,” White said. “I just spent $16.”

Delaney shows off a cup of grits and a sandwich. $8.

“This is a $5 meal,” Delaney said. “I think the prices are high. But I would rather pay more if it means I am going to be safe.”

The Underground Waffle House opened with great fanfare in 2009, bringing one of the city’s favorite restaurants to the heart of downtown Atlanta.

It’s now believed to be the first and only Waffle House in the country to charge customers a 20 percent surcharge on all checks. The extra money is being used to pay for an off-duty police officer to help secure the 24-hour facility, which serves up its fare in one of Atlanta’s high-crime areas..."

Waffle House smothers customers with security surcharge at... | www.ajc.com

Last edited by LynnHarris; 02-16-2013 at 10:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 10:49 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
That's crazy.

I've eaten at plenty of Waffle Houses late at night where there has been an officer there to make sure everything stayed safe and I don't remember paying extra.

Even when I was a kid in high school the arcade I worked at hired an off duty security guard for weekend nights. We didn't charge customers extra for it.

I guess it's Waffle House's prerogative as it is a free market, but local residents should refuse to patronize it. I would.

Of course, the biggest takeaway is what a massive fail this is for the city of Atlanta that they feel they even have to do this.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:38 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
I'm personally okay with it, though I agree with the guy who said it would have been easier to just raise the prices 20%. Most people would probably not even notice it.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:34 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,154,529 times
Isn't there another Waffle House just a couple blocks away? Do they do this as well?

Old 02-16-2013, 03:05 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Isn't there another Waffle House just a couple blocks away? Do they do this as well?
The one under Petit? I don't think so. The GSU security tries to covers that area since it's right on campus, so non-student patrons luck out. You will find plenty of high GSU students quenching the munchies late at night.

Yeah, for those of you who don't actually currently live in Atlanta - underground is a cesspool. The place needs to be cleaned up. That security guard video just made me sick.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:06 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,121 times
^ There's one at Georgia State U. I'd go there.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:57 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
I don't see how it's a big deal. It's what, maybe an extra buck on an All-Star? Throw in tax and tip and you're still out of there for ten bucks.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:42 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't see how it's a big deal. It's what, maybe an extra buck on an All-Star? Throw in tax and tip and you're still out of there for ten bucks.
Plus, there isn't a whole lot that's open late around that whole area. The only thing is open semi-late is Mama Mias.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:48 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Yeah, for those of you who don't actually currently live in Atlanta - underground is a cesspool. The place needs to be cleaned up. That security guard video just made me sick.
Yes, the underground is a mess during the day light hours, and I've seen some pretty wild nights. I really hate that though, because it is a really valuable piece of real estate with some potential. The city really needs to take control of that area.

P.S. Been to that waffle house once (2010) and one of the waitresses got into a full argument with her bf at the entrance door.... #Hilarious

Old 02-16-2013, 08:26 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornjacksonian View Post
Yes, the underground is a mess during the day light hours, and I've seen some pretty wild nights. I really hate that though, because it is a really valuable piece of real estate with some potential. The city really needs to take control of that area.
I think the city is incapable of that given the difference in how Woodruff Park and Centennial Park are run.

I'd like the city to turn Underground over to GSU and let GSU run it like GT runs Technology Square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta