Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 04:09 PM

725 posts, read 1,279,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
How arrogant can GA State officials be. It is all about power and not Marta. Sound like they are trying to set a precedent in the OCGA and then go after privatizing Hartsfield airport, which is the State of Georgia goal.
That just might start a civil war.... O.K. Maybe not that extreme, but I do think it would spark a legit and huge effort by the city (and probably Fulton Co. as well) to succeed from the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 04:30 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,353,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
That just might start a civil war.... O.K. Maybe not that extreme, but I do think it would spark a legit and huge effort by the city (and probably Fulton Co. as well) to succeed from the state.
I agree that Atlanta and Fulton County should try to succeed on their own... but I think the word you are looking for is 'secede.'

Old 02-21-2013, 04:36 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
How does the airport spark a civil war? All races need to fly. Republicans want to spend their money on their own problems and people(usually the people giving the most money to the state through taxes - republicans are on average richer). That's their angle. They're about social responsibility. Not all republicans are racist. It only seems like that because most of the nice areas are predominantly white and the worst areas are predominately black. If the airport was negatively privatized, then this whole region would suffer.

Stop listening to Morehouse lectures. Civil war...I mean really?

Everyone uses the airport.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:43 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,250,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
How does the airport spark a civil war? All races need to fly. Republicans want to spend their money on their own problems and people(usually the people giving the most money to the state through taxes - republicans are on average richer). That's their angle. They're about social responsibility. Not all republicans are racist. It only seems like that because most of the nice areas are predominantly white and the worst areas are predominately black. If the airport was negatively privatized, then this whole region would suffer.

StAubin didn't say anything about race.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:

A civil war. Not The Civil War.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:54 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,353,071 times
Quote:
The Georgia House has passed a bill to privatize parts of MARTA. Facing a $30 million a year deficit, the measure would privatize its para transit bus service as well as back office functions within the next five years.
Some of you are ridiculous. Forcing MARTA to save money by privatizing some functions is going to create a civil war? You guys have lost your mind. If MARTA can't operate as a responsible entity, giving them a forceful nudge in that direction should seem like a good idea.

I'm not a fan of governmental interference and like things done at the local level. I understand the anger toward this move, but I certainly think it will be good for MARTA, so I'm more indifferent. It is just funny that the crowd that normally loves increased governmental involvement in local affairs is mad at this move. So do those of you who are mad at this big government interference still of the mindset that the federal government should be heavily involved in the education system or do you like government involvement only when it provides free money to things you like?

Old 02-21-2013, 04:58 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Great job republican lead legislature for forcing your will on a transit agency that you don't fund. I'm voting them and Deal all out in the next election.
cq, I don't understand the objection to outsourcing paratransit and back office functions.

According to the KPMG study, MARTA is getting hammered on paratransit costs. MARTA’s cost per trip is $50.43, as compared to $39 59 in the sourced market. If MARTA can save $42,940,000 over the next five years by outsourcing, why would we not want to do that?

Moreover, as KPMG notes, there are readily available vendors in the market who offer competitive pricing. In addition, many of our peer transit agencies already outsource their paratransit service.

We can also save a fortune by outsourcing back office functions, which MARTA does extremely inefficiently.

Why would we want to be hardheaded about continuing to waste much needed transit money?

Old 02-21-2013, 05:03 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
A civil war. Not The Civil War.
One in the same. The Civil War was over slavery and states rights. What will the Civil War of Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport be over? Who gets to keep the ants on the ceiling?

I hate to see race get in between politics.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
One in the same. The Civil War was over slavery and states rights. What will the Civil War of Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport be over? Who gets to keep the ants on the ceiling?

War isn't going to break out. I was just pointing out that the term civil war doesn't necessarily refer to the war that happened in this country. Vietnam is an example. To be clear I am fine with this bill. For now some may not like that the state has a say but I think we are getting closer to being state funded either way. Good things are coming for Marta.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:

It sounds like you are the one comparing them. I was differentiating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta