Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 01:41 PM

90 posts, read 412,565 times

Advertisements

The racial undertone, if you can even call it an undertone, on this forum is sad. So far today I've read black people being referred to as "bums", "trash", and what not. I'm suprised at the kind of language that people feel free to use on this forum simply because no one will ever know who they are. And we all know who is being reffered to with your code words... so why not just come right out and say it.

Please note that your P.C. code words (the two examples above not included- those are anything but P.C.) are just as offensive.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:05 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmaican View Post
The racial undertone, if you can even call it an undertone, on this forum is sad.
People need to grow up.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:11 PM

642 posts, read 2,218,809 times
My guess is that its allowed under the guise of free speech and or just opinion. But watch it words that are deemed as attacking an INDIVIDUAL might be deleted. But I know of what and probablt who you speak and feel that ignoring it or letting it pass is about equal to co-signing on it. But on the other hand in all honesty I've only seen it from about a handful of posters and they don't seem to be the most regular of posters. So once you identify them you'd be able to label them and then quarantine them so to speak. I mean we know they're out here and haven't gone anywhere so you just take it and them for what its worth.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:41 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,443 times
Quote:
The racial undertone, if you can even call it an undertone, on this forum is sad. So far today I've read black people being referred to as "bums", "trash", and what not. I'm suprised at the kind of language that people feel free to use on this forum simply because no one will ever know who they are. And we all know who is being reffered to with your code words... so why not just come right out and say it.

Please note that your P.C. code words (the two examples above not included- those are anything but P.C.) are just as offensive.
..I find this funny

people openly throw out redneck, white trash, hick, etc. all the time, so I'd get over it.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:37 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
..I find this funny

people openly throw out redneck, white trash, hick, etc. all the time, so I'd get over it.
That's really easy for you to say...but truth be told the code words used on the site are so obvious. Very nice areas of Atlanta are written off by some simply because it's majority black or latino....all under the guise of "the schools are horrible" when in some cases, that's far from the truth.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:53 PM

425 posts, read 1,755,297 times
I see more code speak police here to marginalize legitimate concerns brought up by soon-to-be-metro residents than people actually doing the code speak. It is okay to think that code speak is rampant here but it is also perfectly fine for people to raise concerns and live wherever they please.

I treat this topic like politics and religion even though it has more to do with socio-economics than anything else - secular vs religious, CNN vs FOX, NYT vs WSJ, AJC vs ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveDiva View Post
That's really easy for you to say...but truth be told the code words used on the site are so obvious. Very nice areas of Atlanta are written off by some simply because it's majority black or latino....all under the guise of "the schools are horrible" when in some cases, that's far from the truth.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:03 PM

10 posts, read 99,114 times
I definitely agree with the offensive racial comments. I sent a post about a week ago because my husband and I are planning on moving to Atlanta, and I wanted to find out if anyone knew of a nice diversified place to live in Atlanta. The only reason I would like to live in an area with a mix of races and cultures is due to the fact that my kids are interracial, and I just would like to expose them to a variety of different people. That was my first time posting and the reply was so offensive that I told myself that I wouldn't post anything else on this forum, but when I saw this post I thought it would be a good opportunity for me to express myself, but it also made me realize how ignorant some people can be. I don't judge anyone by their cover. We all are human and should be treated as such. This is mainly why the world is the way it is today because of ignorant people. Thanks Jillmaican for starting this post. Not that it will change anything, but maybe it will make people realize when they make comments like that they are being very ignorant, and it doesn't matter what race. If you make ignorant comments you are ignorant, and I will be praying for you whoever you are.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:32 PM

90 posts, read 412,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgpill View Post
I see more code speak police here to marginalize legitimate concerns brought up by soon-to-be-metro residents than people actually doing the code speak. It is okay to think that code speak is rampant here but it is also perfectly fine for people to raise concerns and live wherever they please.

I treat this topic like politics and religion even though it has more to do with socio-economics than anything else - secular vs religious, CNN vs FOX, NYT vs WSJ, AJC vs ?????
I completely agree that people have every right to ask about neighborhoods, racial make-up of schools etc. That is exactly how I got to this site when I made my move. It makes sense that people would want to know who lives where, so they can decide for themselves if its what they are looking for.

But that was not the point that I was making. My point was that some people, and obvisouly its not everyone, choose to make derogatory comments while beating around the bush. For example I have come to find through my previous posts that moving to West Cobb is a bad idea because the schools here are "horrible" and a lot of "quesitonable people" send their children to school in that area. While in fact the schools in West Cobb are very good. Are they 101% caucasian ? No. But many hard working people black, white and otherwise send their children to school here. And the schools are in no way bad schools.

I had to do some extra research ( which any informed buyer should do) after I visited this site because I got such negative responses to the schools on this side of town. That's just one example. No one used "bums" or "trash" in those particular posts but I got the idea. I do agree that many terms are thrown around here...redneck, hicks etc. I never used those terms and I can't be offended by them because they don't apply to me. But it they did I would have had no problem to post my concern about it. And that is the true beauty of freedom of speech!

Old 10-26-2007, 07:03 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgpill View Post

I think it's fine to bring up legitimate concerns...I remember a post a while back where a man posted he wanted an all black high school....and another who said he wanted a majority white neighborhood. That's fine--live where you please!

But when you have others who post things like, "Don't look at such-and-such area, it's going to pot b/c it's not majority white" or something along those lines....come on now. Stuff like that perpetuates the stereotype that the South is this racist hotbed.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:37 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:

I am not at all prejudiced. I am happily married to a black woman for 10 years now. But let's deal in reality a bit. Not every bum is black and certainly not every black is a bum but the fact is that a very large number are. If you see the urban beggars in downtown, 90% of them are black men. The same can be said for crime. Black males between 16 and 30 are about 5% of the population but they account for a very high percentage of the violent crime. People have good reason to be afraid of them and many other blacks are afraid of them as well. That is not racism but reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta