Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:27 AM

149 posts, read 280,667 times

Advertisements

Being a first time home buyer I have some questions and what upgrades that actually add value. I understand it is individual preference, but want to know what actually matters from resale point of view.

1- covered porch. Builder says $9950 for 12'x10' porch
2- extended deck
3- bath room fittings with brass finish
4. Partial finished basement for $21000
5. Wood on main floor
6. Granite in Master bed room and guest bed room
7. Upgraded carpet

If you think any other upgrades that would add value, please suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 08:32 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,300,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesmart View Post
3- bath room fittings with brass finish.
Definitely not. This is a matter of taste, and is the easiest and cheapest do it yourself project there is. Don't waste your time on this.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:53 AM

145 posts, read 361,599 times
Quote:
Being a first time home buyer I have some questions and what upgrades that actually add value. I understand it is individual preference, but want to know what actually matters from resale point of view.

2- extended deck
5. Wood on main floor
7. Upgraded carpet

1- Covered and screened? Nicely done? You can afford it? YES
2- Depends on how pitifully small the original deck is. Generally, this is a YES
3- Not gonna "see a return" but if you love it and it is not much more, go for it, just know that many people hate brass
4. Partial? like...bathroom? what? A bedroom and bathroom would not add that much (21K) in resale value but a bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen could.
5. YES
6. You will not "see" the return when you sell but if you love it...it also depends on the granite. I see some nasty colored granite out there that I and most buyers hate, they would rather it were the "standard" marble.
7. YES that builder grade stuff is awful and the upgraded stuff is not that much more $$$ and the upgraded will last longer and clean better, saving money for replacement.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:15 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,831,709 times
Polished brass fixtures? I worked for a plumbing company and we couldn't give that finish away. Literally, Habitat for Humanity turned down a donation of it.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:22 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,373,099 times
Quote:
The upgrades that will give you the best return are those that add square footage: larger and/or more rooms. Other upgrades may never be reflected in the value of the house, but will help with sellability. But the real bottom line is: will it be something you really enjoy.

So what will add value to the house:

Quote:
Will add value, but probably not $10K worth. However, we have one and we absolutely LOVE it. We eat meals out there all the time when the weather is nice. Having said that, 12x10 is a bit on the small side for a covered porch.

Quote:
2- extended deck
Probably not.

Quote:
Definitely not!

Quote:
Yes! This adds square footage. The return will be even greater if the addition includes a bathroom and a bedroom.

Quote:
5. Wood on main floor
Will help with saleability, but not with value.

Quote:
Helps with saleability, and a bit with value

Quote:
7. Upgraded carpet
Does not help with value, but do it anyway. Builder grade carpet is awful and I guarantee you will be ripping it out and replacing it within 5 years.

Quote:
3-car garage will probably add value.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:25 PM

46 posts, read 124,193 times
These days most of that would only help you sell your home close to what you paid for it. Don't expect anything on that list to payback what you will spend in realtor and closing fees when you sell. Unless things start booming again.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:31 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,300,835 times
Make upgrades to your house for the purpose of enjoying them, and not for the sake of profit.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:40 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times
A securely-done screened-in porch for those "Bug nights" with a ceiling fan and a decent sized deck attached to it will add value.

A water proofed basement that has a teen or mother-in-law suite (Bedroom, Bath, small Living area, and small Kitchenette area) will add a lot of value as more and more people have adult children who stay or come home to live, or elderly parent(s) who have to move in with them, so this feature is desired more and more. Also remember you're in tornado country, so having a basement for stormy nights is a plus as well. This to me, is one of the best investments for adding value to a home. You can still section off a non-finished areas of the basement for household storage.

True Granite is not a necessity for Kitchens and Baths so long as you choose one of the many newer stone style countertops that are available today. Many of them look and feel almost exactly like granite or other stones, but at less cost and are more durable. Most people can't tell the difference unless you tell them. Home Depot, Lowes, specialty stores and even IKEA have samples to look at that might impress you. Having an island in the Kitchen with a small sink does add value as does gas (opposed to electric) cook tops.

Many older homes may only have 1 bathroom upstairs. People almost insist on a Master Bedroom Bath suite when they buy these days. If it's simply not possible to add another bath upstairs for this purpose, then maybe trying to find space downstairs even for a half bath on the main level (even under the stairs, etc if there's space) adds value. Especially if again, you add that Bedroom and Bath in the basement.

Wood floors are sometimes preferable throughout the house, not just downstairs, but if you use carpet be VERY careful if you plan on reselling soon. Carpet sounds simple but it's highly individualized regarding people's tastes. Berber appeals to more than shaggier/plusher carpet, but it's not great for pets - but there are carpets with a Berber style look (but not woven the same way) that look good and are low maintenance - using a neutral in one of these is a good bet.

You didn't mention windows, but having good insulated low-e windows does get noticed by potential buyers. You can impress them even more by having laminated or security-film options that make the windows extremely burglar proof, too. Having a home you are remodeling pre-wired for security systems also adds value as this is something people hate to deal with when buying a place. Speaking of security, if the house does not have an enclosed garage, then adding one even if it's a single car garage, adds decent value. Just watch the pricing as adding an addition can vary GREATLY in price depending on who does it.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Make upgrades to your house for the purpose of enjoying them, and not for the sake of profit.
Yes I do agree. Thanks. The idea is to have some upgrades, but do not want to go overboard. But want to add only those things that help in "resale" not for making profit ( Making profit on a new home?! I gather from the forum folks it is like buying a new car)

Old 03-27-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:

2- extended deck
5. Wood on main floor
7. Upgraded carpet

8. How about cabinet upgrade from std 36 to 42"? Does wood quality matter? if so what is preferred.
9. Handles for the cabinets ( there is an upgrade from standard knobs to "light rail" means a handle) $160
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: