Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-05-2013, 09:36 PM
 
60 posts, read 105,669 times
Reputation: 35

Advertisements

I am gonna move to alpharetta at the end of this may ,looking for a single family home rental with good schools..rents are expensive depending on the school,i got that and willing to pay 1500 1600 ,but when i like a home i check the school first then check the sex offenders as a sadety thing i know other crimes can happen too but i have elementary school aged kids and it is an issue for me,and sadly i see that many of them living really close to this good public schools...i. Dont want to live in an apt complex but the security and gates makes it somehow more secure. Do you guys recommend something? I do have an alarm system here and gonna transfer that to my new place,but i dont want to feel insecure in the area that i am gonna live.also husband works late hours sometimes,so alone in the home with 3 little kids kind a scary . I dont want to move kids to a new school when we buy our home also this is another prob.for us...
Please tell me what do u think....share your ideas ....
Thanks very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-05-2013, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
893 posts, read 1,318,049 times
Reputation: 544
"hide yo children, hide ya wife, and hide yo husband cause they rapin everbody out here"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 09:57 PM
 
Location: ATL
4,688 posts, read 7,982,402 times
Reputation: 1804
It the same in the suburbs of all big cities. If you do not want to be around sex offenders you might want to move to the country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Southeast, where else?
3,913 posts, read 5,200,749 times
Reputation: 5823
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananapie View Post
I am gonna move to alpharetta at the end of this may ,looking for a single family home rental with good schools..rents are expensive depending on the school,i got that and willing to pay 1500 1600 ,but when i like a home i check the school first then check the sex offenders as a sadety thing i know other crimes can happen too but i have elementary school aged kids and it is an issue for me,and sadly i see that many of them living really close to this good public schools...i. Dont want to live in an apt complex but the security and gates makes it somehow more secure. Do you guys recommend something? I do have an alarm system here and gonna transfer that to my new place,but i dont want to feel insecure in the area that i am gonna live.also husband works late hours sometimes,so alone in the home with 3 little kids kind a scary . I dont want to move kids to a new school when we buy our home also this is another prob.for us...
Please tell me what do u think....share your ideas ....
Thanks very much
You haven't done your homework. Check out how many are in and around Marietta square.....zips 30066, 30068, 30067.....then peruse the stack in dekalb and Fulton proper....no worries, we got our sights set on the half dozen or so in Alpharetta....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2013, 12:33 AM
 
Location: West Cobb County, GA (Atlanta metro)
9,191 posts, read 33,763,487 times
Reputation: 5308
It's important to note that people can make it to the sex offender registry for a variety of crimes that include child abuse of varying forms, but also a whole list of other things that have nothing to do with anything they may have done to children. Even a 19 year old boy who sneaks out to the corn field with a 15 year old girlfriend can make that list if papa finds out and gets a lawyer, yet would he be dangerous to your 8 year old? Doubtful.

Sex offender registries can be decent tools, but people tend to overreact to them a great deal, too. Statistically, many child molesters haven't been caught or put on registries, and many are actually relatives or close family friends to the victims as opposed to total strangers. I'm much more worried about crews of home burglars or home invasions than I am someone snatching my kid off the street, though this is still something to make sure you talk to your kids about so they make good decisions when in the presence of strangers, too.

Overall, Alpharetta and John's Creek are very good areas. Use common sense with your kids and teach them to use the same, and you could do much worse. Use online registries as reference tools, but not tools to make you paranoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2013, 01:14 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
14,834 posts, read 7,347,276 times
Reputation: 8966
^ Not to mention MOST sex offenders are never caught. Hence, how many registered sex offenders there are living near you really tells you very little about the overall safety situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2013, 02:25 PM
 
4,684 posts, read 6,079,775 times
Reputation: 3985
You cant really get any safer than Alpharetta or John Creek. Like it was mentioned above, its much less likely for burglaries and home invasions in those areas than other parts of the metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2013, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Atlanta's Castleberry Hill
4,760 posts, read 5,385,001 times
Reputation: 5126
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
You cant really get any safer than Alpharetta or John Creek. Like it was mentioned above, its much less likely for burglaries and home invasions in those areas than other parts of the metro.
Really so if some who live in North Atlanta have abused children sexual, that better than a home invasions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2013, 08:16 PM
 
Location: ATL
4,688 posts, read 7,982,402 times
Reputation: 1804
Pick your poison. Either live in a one particular suburb filled with teens using prescription pills and heroin, filled with child molesters and serial killers or live in a suburb will below average schools, burglaries and lower test scores
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Southeast, where else?
3,913 posts, read 5,200,749 times
Reputation: 5823
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
It's important to note that people can make it to the sex offender registry for a variety of crimes that include child abuse of varying forms, but also a whole list of other things that have nothing to do with anything they may have done to children. Even a 19 year old boy who sneaks out to the corn field with a 15 year old girlfriend can make that list if papa finds out and gets a lawyer, yet would he be dangerous to your 8 year old? Doubtful.

Sex offender registries can be decent tools, but people tend to overreact to them a great deal, too. Statistically, many child molesters haven't been caught or put on registries, and many are actually relatives or close family friends to the victims as opposed to total strangers. I'm much more worried about crews of home burglars or home invasions than I am someone snatching my kid off the street, though this is still something to make sure you talk to your kids about so they make good decisions when in the presence of strangers, too.

Overall, Alpharetta and John's Creek are very good areas. Use common sense with your kids and teach them to use the same, and you could do much worse. Use online registries as reference tools, but not tools to make you paranoid.
You are very correct in this regard. Those convicted are not all sexual in nature. Some are there for crimes associated with this charge. However, seeing their. Mugshots on sexoffenders.com may give a parent a heads up before they go to the closest Publix or Kroger shopping center or let their kids loose in the park.

I would just urge each person look up and understand the exact charges with the person associated and use their best judgement. It will usually have their mugshot and exact address which you can look up on google maps. Sometimes they are closer than you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:07 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top