Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:02 PM

421 posts, read 749,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
No, I'm expecting just as any good server does, to come back to the table at least once or twice during my 'dining experience' to check on things or fill up the cup. I shouldn't have to beg for the server's attention.

Even at some of the higher end spots like Longhorns or Arizona's, I've had a few terrible dining experiences.
Longhorn, high end? Lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
How is it punishment if they didn't do their jobs to the best of their abilities? If the same were to occur in the business professions, they would get fired rather quickly. What makes blue collar jobs any different? I'm talking about very bad service. Normal service, I will give the usual 20% tip...Great or excellent service, I will give 30%. One time, I've given a 50$ tip due to how nice and friendly the women was.

Would you rather them be fired or simply not given a tip?
Wait, you have the cash to give a $50 tip but you think Longhorn is high end?

Old 04-07-2013, 09:30 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
Wait, you have the cash to give a $50 tip but you think Longhorn is high end?
Compared to WH...yes. I'm not sayin it's a 4 or 5 star restaurant, but it isn't in the same tier as a Mcdonalds or Waffle House.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:13 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
Quote:
Exactly. I don't think I'm the only one on this website that notices it. The people here just seem to be lazy and it's directly polar to the 'Southern Hospitality' so many people in the south spit out of their mouths. Maybe it's just the Hispanics in LA feel more keen to work their butts off and help support their families. In an economy like this, without a college degree, people should be happy they have the jobs they have and should work like it's the only thing keeping them off the streets in Downtown Atlanta.
have you ever worked minimum wage? most of these people are getting $300 paychecks about every two weeks. the work sucks, it's miserable, people treat you like dog **** all day long, and you go home with every bone in your body aching. really, you need to realize that working your ass off to get pennies is not fun, and most people aren't thrilled to be in that kind of position.

i really question people's experiences when it comes to rudeness and 'bad service' in restaurants, since i only have a really bad experience in a restaurant about once every two years, and i eat out all the time.

when your waitress is waiting on 10 tables, they're understaffed, and she's doing the best she can to catch up, and she takes a little bit longer than usual and forgets your mayo on the side, you need to understand the situation and not be so self-absorbed.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
have you ever worked minimum wage? most of these people are getting $300 paychecks about every two weeks. the work sucks, it's miserable, people treat you like dog **** all day long, and you go home with every bone in your body aching. really, you need to realize that working your ass off to get pennies is not fun, and most people aren't thrilled to be in that kind of position.

i really question people's experiences when it comes to rudeness and 'bad service' in restaurants, since i only have a really bad experience in a restaurant about once every two years, and i eat out all the time.

when your waitress is waiting on 10 tables, they're understaffed, and she's doing the best she can to catch up, and she takes a little bit longer than usual and forgets your mayo on the side, you need to understand the situation and not be so self-absorbed.
He is a college student who has enough money to give a $50 tip. I don't think he has worked anywhere like that if he has even had a job before.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:25 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,908,718 times
I have had a few bad experiences but Usually I get good service.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:31 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,908,718 times
Its very hard dealing with the public. My first job was with a cable company and I cant tell u how many times I been cursed out all because I couldnt do what they wanted me to do...

Old 04-08-2013, 05:52 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
Quote:
No, I'm expecting just as any good server does, to come back to the table at least once or twice during my 'dining experience' to check on things or fill up the cup. I shouldn't have to beg for the server's attention.

Even at some of the higher end spots like Longhorns or Arizona's, I've had a few terrible dining experiences.
I think the real problem here is that you're relating the dining experience one has in a chain "restaurant" as opposed to an actual restaurant. While I do not share the belief that one would receive a universally bad dining experience in one, you must understand that those places are like factories that serve food. Orders come in, prepackaged frozen food goes out. Servers are pushed to be happy and upsell every piece of calorie laden gruel on the menu. They also get pressured to make more money while getting paid peanuts. With all that said, everyone I have known who works at a place such as this hates it. Big time. Perhaps you are picking up on this vibe. Just imagine how you would feel working at one of those places as you soul means of providing for you or your family.

You should really frequent non-chain establishments (for which there are thousands in the Metro) more often. It's a night and day experience since the people whom work at those establishments are personally invested in the success of the restaurant. The chefs (not cooks) toil over the stoves to bring their vision and soul to your plate, rather than just assemble a "meal" from a list of instructions designed by some guy in Omaha or something.

I'm not trying to down you or any one who works at a chain establishment, but you should step up your dining game if you consider Longhorn or Arizona on the higher end of anything. They're just sit down versions of McDonalds.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:58 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Not my experience here at all.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:04 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
Quote:
4/5 times I'm out by myself or with friends, I get terrible service. Usually, it's either, it takes forever for them to seat me, forever for them to take my order, or forever for them to come back and check on my table, if at all sometimes. Why is that such a problem here in Atlanta? When I vacation in LA yearly, 9/10 times I get great service and the people working seems enthusiastic about their job. Here, the waitresses/waiters seem lazy and don't want to do their job and just want to collect the paycheck. They do the BARE minimum required. And they wonder why they only get a 10% tip from me, if even a tip at all? For the rare times, I get incredible service(note, it is rare), I give a 30% tip. Sometimes, even when you're courteous, they will get an attitude with you. Like why? I'm not surprised to see new people working at places like Waffle house every week. Southern Hospitality at it's best.

Anyone else have this problem here?
Naw, not really if I have get treated like that I never return to those places. Plus I rather hit the local family mom and pops spots over the chains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: